Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-23-2020, 07:25 PM   #1

Digital rangefinder camera with optical viewfinders

I am only aware that Fujifilm X-100 series fixed lens as well as digital Leica M came with optical viewfinder.
Other than SLR, is there any rangefinder style digital camera that comes with optical rangefinder?

11-23-2020, 08:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Fuji XPro series is ILC,whereas the 100series is fixed 23mm.
11-23-2020, 08:50 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Angelic Layer Quote
Other than SLR, is there any rangefinder style digital camera that comes with optical rangefinder?
Leica...

Addendum: While not in production for several years, there was also the Cosina-made Epson RD-1 digital rangefinder camera in Leica M mount. It has the distinction of being the worlds first digital MILC. It is a cool camera and sort of a cult classic.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-23-2020 at 11:56 PM.
11-23-2020, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not exactly "rangefinder style", but the Ricoh GR does have the optional OVF available for it.

11-24-2020, 09:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am only aware that Fujifilm X-100 series fixed lens as well as digital Leica M came with optical viewfinder.
I have the original version of the Canon G1X, which has an optical finder. However, this finder is useful only for rough framing, as it does not cover 100% of the FOV, has no exposure info at all, has no rangefinder, and is partially blocked by the lens hood. It is useful only for quick shots or when the rear panel is washed out by bright sunlight. OTOH, this might be all you need and be OK for you. It's a great camera otherwise. Built like a brick, and the large sensor and very sharp lens give excellent image quality.

You might also look at some of the older Lumix or Olympus M43 models to see if any had an optical finder. There are some gems in their lines.
11-24-2020, 07:42 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Fuji XPro series is ILC,whereas the 100series is fixed 23mm.
Yeah, I forgot the X-Pro series as I didn't see a lot of people using them because of the high price, too bad Fuji didn't make them in Full Frame.

---------- Post added 25-11-20 at 10:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Leica...

Addendum: While not in production for several years, there was also the Cosina-made Epson RD-1 digital rangefinder camera in Leica M mount. It has the distinction of being the worlds first digital MILC. It is a cool camera and sort of a cult classic.

Unsung Cameras Of Yesteryear: The Epson R-D1 - YouTube

Steve
I am aware of Leicas, the Epson look cool but unfortunately pretty antiquated by now.
Do Leica hold the rights for their M rangefinder mount?
There isn't much manufacturer and camera other than Leica which uses the mount - Bessa, Minolta, Zeiss - most of them films.

---------- Post added 25-11-20 at 10:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
I have the original version of the Canon G1X, which has an optical finder. However, this finder is useful only for rough framing, as it does not cover 100% of the FOV, has no exposure info at all, has no rangefinder, and is partially blocked by the lens hood. It is useful only for quick shots or when the rear panel is washed out by bright sunlight. OTOH, this might be all you need and be OK for you. It's a great camera otherwise. Built like a brick, and the large sensor and very sharp lens give excellent image quality.

You might also look at some of the older Lumix or Olympus M43 models to see if any had an optical finder. There are some gems in their lines.
Very interesting, the latest generation looks more like a DSLR.
11-24-2020, 09:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very interesting, the latest generation looks more like a DSLR.
Yes, but that's an EVF, not an optical finder. There seem to be quite a few rangefinder style cameras with EVF finders, but very few with an optical one, which is what I think you were looking for.

Also, all of the Canon G1X models are fixed lens, not interchangeable. Personally that's what I was looking for in a small camera like this -- I didn't want another system camera...just a simple grab 'n go unit for hiking, biking, and tossing in my briefcase for work travel. I had an MX-1 for a time, which was great but limited by the small sensor. The G1X has a sensor in between M43 and APSC; the image quality is excellent. The lens is slow though, which is one of my only beefs with it. I miss the f1.7 of the MX-1. So it has it's drawbacks, but the many plusses outweigh the few minuses.

11-24-2020, 10:05 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
Yes, but that's an EVF, not an optical finder. There seem to be quite a few rangefinder style cameras with EVF finders, but very few with an optical one, which is what I think you were looking for.

Also, all of the Canon G1X models are fixed lens, not interchangeable. Personally that's what I was looking for in a small camera like this -- I didn't want another system camera...just a simple grab 'n go unit for hiking, biking, and tossing in my briefcase for work travel. I had an MX-1 for a time, which was great but limited by the small sensor. The G1X has a sensor in between M43 and APSC; the image quality is excellent. The lens is slow though, which is one of my only beefs with it. I miss the f1.7 of the MX-1. So it has it's drawbacks, but the many plusses outweigh the few minuses.
Yes, I would very much prefer a OVF and shoot it like traditional film camera style.
I think Fuji X100 series is pretty much the few player that do this, too bad no weather sealing for hiking.
11-24-2020, 11:18 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

too bad Fuji didn't make them in Full Frame.
FF was too small for Fuji to upgrade to,so they developed the GFX and tend to have a major slice of the "super full frame" segment.As they call it.
11-25-2020, 12:49 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
FF was too small for Fuji to upgrade to,so they developed the GFX and tend to have a major slice of the "super full frame" segment.As they call it.
The camera would be a lot larger and lost the appeal in terms of portability.
The X100 series is quite expensive for a fixed lens APSC rangefinder with no weather sealing, for the price they are listed, a full frame would be more attractive for the featured they offered.
11-25-2020, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

The X100 series is quite expensive for a fixed lens APSC rangefinder with no weather sealing,
Well the X100V has sealing.Or you could opt for FF $$$ony or Leica.

Xtrans Fuji rivals FF.
11-25-2020, 03:51 AM   #12
Pentaxian

(...)
Do Leica hold the rights for their M rangefinder mount?
(...)
The Leica M mount is in the public domain -any patents protecting it expired decades ago.
11-25-2020, 07:35 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I would very much prefer a OVF and shoot it like traditional film camera style.
I think Fuji X100 series is pretty much the few player that do this, too bad no weather sealing for hiking.
Before I bought the G1X I borrowed a friend's X100F for a few weeks and really gave it a good field test. I shot the same scenes with it and my K5ii, keeping all the shooting variables as close as possible to make it a fair comparison. Honestly, I was very disappointed in the Fuji. I had high hopes that this would be "The One" compact camera for hiking, street, etc.. But in almost every comparo scene I much preferred the image from the old K5ii . There was better dynamic range and truer, deeper colours. The sharpness was pretty much a wash as long as I used a good lens on the Pentax. The highlights on the Fuji were blown out on many shots.

Note that I shot all in Raw, and I have read many reports that Fuji X-Trans raw files are a bugger to process. OOC jpegs may have been better, but then I wouldn't be comparing fairly to the K5ii, and I prefer doing my own editing not letting the camera do it for me.

Other beefs with the Fuji -- I hated the EVF mode, it gave me sore eyes and a headache; the rear buttons were too sensitive and I found a bunch of settings kept getting changed when I didn't want them too; the power switch got turned on a couple of times putting it into the bag, and the auto-off didn't work leaving me with a dead battery . OTOH, there were things I loved about the camera: the form factor; the intuitive film-era controls; menu interface; the solid build quality; fast and sharp lens; close focus ability; and the low noise images (much better than the K5ii). All in all this camera was not for me, and I ended up with the Canon, which seems crude and unsophisticated by comparison, but gets the job done for me. I actually prefer the image quality from the old G1X over the Fuji -- the lens is extremely sharp, noise is low, and the colours, while muted and a bit dull in raw, are easy to boost in the editor. It was cheap, and I feel it can take a knock and not give me a heart attack that a expensive bit of kit has been hurt.

Have you considered using, say, a KP, K3, or K5 and a small WR zoom for hiking? Something like the 20-40 Ltd.? Would be compact enough for a small sling or hip bag, and weatherproof. Just a thought...

Hope this helps.
11-25-2020, 11:11 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any camera with a hotshoe that you stick an accessory viewfinder on
11-25-2020, 12:18 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The camera would be a lot larger and lost the appeal in terms of portability.
The X100 series is quite expensive for a fixed lens APSC rangefinder with no weather sealing, for the price they are listed, a full frame would be more attractive for the featured they offered.
You know, of course, that the Fuji cameras don't have optical rangefinders.

Steve