Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2020, 02:05 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The best(?) hybrid camera right now!

Probably but thats an opinion of the cat man.

PhillipBloom has done plenty of high level video productions and started his journey with a Pentax.

In the first few minutes theres some nice 645Z shots.He is an avid stills shooter but video is where his $ come from.

This is a 2 part series but part 2 isnt available just yet(that i can see).I'll post it when it is.

11-29-2020, 04:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Some very nice footage shown here.
12-04-2020, 08:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The R5/6 are really sweet camera body’s. I just went though researching all of them and went for the Z6ii instead though because all the Z lenses are weather sealed including the 24-200 travel zoom. None of the Canon RF lenses are unless you go with super expensive L glass. And no sealed travel zoom. The Z lenses are also extremely good for less money then going for the top Canon glass. The Lenses sealed the deal for me. The Z series body’s are also really close now for AF after the last firmware update so that wasn’t as much a factor although Canon is top of the food chain for that right now. Another factor to consider is unless you go R5 the video isn’t as easy to dual use as the Z cameras. I like to be able to switch super fast and get a 10 second clip of video on the framed still I used and the R6 anyway won’t save your settings between the two and you need to rotate the mode dial to switch. With the Z body’s they have a dedicated switch/button which is way less fiddly and it keeps your settings for stills and video independently.

The Ibis seems to be a bit ahead with Canon as well. Some of the primes have lens stabilization for use with the IBIS which is cool. Sucks they didn’t weather seal the inexpensive ones like Nikon did though.

I also have a lot of confidence Nikon will keep making strides once they use the dual processors in the Z6/7ii to there potential and we’ll see more AF updates as those cameras get firmware boosted. I’ve never seen Nikon try so hard to improve a camera body as they did with the Z6/7 firmware.
12-04-2020, 04:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
yes

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
The R5/6 are really sweet camera bodyís. I just went though researching all of them and went for the Z6ii instead though because all the Z lenses are weather sealed including the 24-200 travel zoom. None of the Canon RF lenses are unless you go with super expensive L glass. And no sealed travel zoom. The Z lenses are also extremely good for less money then going for the top Canon glass. The Lenses sealed the deal for me. The Z series bodyís are also really close now for AF after the last firmware update so that wasnít as much a factor although Canon is top of the food chain for that right now. Another factor to consider is unless you go R5 the video isnít as easy to dual use as the Z cameras. I like to be able to switch super fast and get a 10 second clip of video on the framed still I used and the R6 anyway wonít save your settings between the two and you need to rotate the mode dial to switch. With the Z bodyís they have a dedicated switch/button which is way less fiddly and it keeps your settings for stills and video independently.

The Ibis seems to be a bit ahead with Canon as well. Some of the primes have lens stabilization for use with the IBIS which is cool. Sucks they didnít weather seal the inexpensive ones like Nikon did though.

I also have a lot of confidence Nikon will keep making strides once they use the dual processors in the Z6/7ii to there potential and weíll see more AF updates as those cameras get firmware boosted. Iíve never seen Nikon try so hard to improve a camera body as they did with the Z6/7 firmware.
I can see your point of view with the F mount instant compatibility.

I'm not so sure all the L mounts are that pricey though.

24-105 f4 has weather sealing and is very versatile.The price of the 28-70 stack of F2 primes is outstanding value,the rumoured 70-140(maybe 135 or 150?) will be too.Weight and size of the 70-200 is a big advantage.

Time will tell though,end of 2022 will give a clearer picture.

Both systems are developing well,$ony wont have majority share of FF m/l for too much longer but they are releasing new bodies first half of next year.The competion is hotting up!

12-04-2020, 06:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The R5/6 are really sweet camera bodyís. I just went though researching all of them and went for the Z6ii instead though because all the Z lenses are weather sealed including the 24-200 travel zoom. None of the Canon RF lenses are unless you go with super expensive L glass. And no sealed travel zoom. The Z lenses are also extremely good for less money then going for the top Canon glass. The Lenses sealed the deal for me. The Z series bodyís are also really close now for AF after the last firmware update so that wasnít as much a factor although Canon is top of the food chain for that right now. Another factor to consider is unless you go R5 the video isnít as easy to dual use as the Z cameras.
Have you had much of a chance to do video on the Z6ii yet? If so how do you find it?

Agree about the Z lenses...they seem like a really great value. The shots from the 24-200 don't look anything like the shots from yesterday's wide-tele zooms.
12-04-2020, 09:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The Z lenses are also extremely good for less money then going for the top Canon glass. The Lenses sealed the deal for me.
Prices are quite close when you consider the equivalent(or almost).
QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
Agree about the Z lenses...they seem like a really great value.
Like Canon R mount!
12-05-2020, 12:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Part 2.

Last edited by surfar; 12-05-2020 at 12:38 PM.
12-05-2020, 07:56 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
Have you had much of a chance to do video on the Z6ii yet? If so how do you find it?

Agree about the Z lenses...they seem like a really great value. The shots from the 24-200 don't look anything like the shots from yesterday's wide-tele zooms.
Not yet, it's on backorder, as is the 24-200 and 85mm. I have the 35mm to stare at lol.

The 24-200 is a couple of steps up in quality from the previous 28-300 for sharpness.

---------- Post added 12-05-2020 at 09:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Prices are quite close when you consider the equivalent(or almost).

Like Canon R mount!
The RF primes aren't bad in price and I'm sure the image quality is good. But they have no weather sealing whatsoever. All the Z lenses have it, and not just the rubber gasket at the back, proper sealing. You need to get L glass for that with Canon and it's very pricey.

I initially was going for the R6 then realized it would cost a ton of money to get the lenses that have sealing. Its the same issue that drove me away from Canon (and how I got a pentax) a decade ago. Nikon used to do that. This time around they're sealing everything which is sweet. I like to be able to use the camera in some mist or rain once and a while and not worry about it. Or dust out west.

The Canon primes do have lens stabilization so if you don't need weather sealing or care about that the IBIS and lenses stabilize together which gives the Canons probably best of all of them image stabilization. The 600/800 primes are also pretty attractive. F11 is weird and a challenge if it's not bright and sunny but high iso isn't as big a deal any more.

As for Sony, Canon and Nikon have a mountain of adaptable lenses plus the new ones that they're filling out really fast. I think Sony will actually be worse for lense selections once Sigma/Tamron start building for Canikon mirrorless as well which is a matter of time. They're both going to take a big chunk of Sony's market in mirrorless this coming year. I think with the Zii cameras and the Z5 Nikons going to move a lot of people into mirrorless now. Especially the Z5, that's by far the best value in FF at the moment. Weather sealed with all the same features with just a crippled fast shooting rate which doesn't matter to a lot of people. It's a better option that the RP or older A7 series.

I do expect Sony to drop an A74 here soon which likely will be a nice camera. They need to fix the weather sealing on those body's though.

I looked at the Panasonic S5 but the L glass isn't doing it for me price/options wise. Some of them are pretty interesting like the 20-60, that's a cool zoom range from one of the Panasonic lenses. For Video Panasonic has also always been very good. I think Sigma makes great quality lenses these days as well. I love my 150-650 which was inexpensive and works really well. That's another reason I didn't go Sony, no adapter for that and I'm not buying the same lens with a canon adapter as a workaround to use a Sony body. The options they have for telephoto are $$$$$.

I think the Canon R5/6 body's and Nikon Z6/7ii's will sell very well this year and we've probably hit the breaking point where a fair amount of both's user base starts taking the plunge.

Also, the Iphone 12 pro max is shocking to use at night. So maybe these things are already obsolete lol.

---------- Post added 12-05-2020 at 09:17 AM ----------

Canon's going to sell a lot of R5's. Money's no object it's the best camera out there with L glass attached. But $$$$$$$$.

I have an igloo soft cooler bag with another divider soft bag that I insert to carry my camera stuff in the car. Way less likely to get the window broken like he did. Nobody's after a lunchbox. Or always leave in the trunk and if super concerned leave where the spare tire goes if you have that option. They likely won't look there.

12-05-2020, 08:58 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I have an igloo soft cooler bag with another divider soft bag that I insert to carry my camera stuff in the car. Way less likely to get the window broken like he did. Nobody's after a lunchbox. Or always leave in the trunk and if super concerned leave where the spare tire goes if you have that option. They likely won't look there.
I do the same thing, but using a girl's oversized lunch cooler bag. Besides the obvious "no one wants it" it helps a lot in preventing the camera from getting overly hot stored in the truck.
12-05-2020, 12:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I do that too!

Mine is large with wheels, and drags along the ground,so i take my video set up in it.Although just yesterday I walked past a smaller one and thought "thatd be good for just my stills set up".

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I do the same thing, but using a girl's oversized lunch cooler bag. Besides the obvious "no one wants it" it helps a lot in preventing the camera from getting overly hot stored in the truck.
12-05-2020, 12:57 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I do that too!

Mine is large with wheels, and drags along the ground,so i take my video set up in it.Although just yesterday I walked past a smaller one and thought "thatd be good for just my stills set up".
Yes,

A dedicated camera bag screams free 5k+ to anybody who sees you leave it and not pay attention. Nevermind leaving in view in a car. I do have one but that thing is stuck to me like glue if I'm using it. When I travel I generally like to take 1 or 2 lenses anyway and not fuss with all that stuff. That's why I've been so excited to have a 24-200 that's weather sealed. Killer travel combo where you don't really need anything else. With IBIS the 6.3 long end on those isn't so bad. Espiecially with VR and IBIS like the Nikon one uses (or canon or sony)
12-05-2020, 01:00 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Canon's going to sell a lot of R5's. Money's no object it's the best camera out there with L glass attached. But $$$$$$$$.
Yes,but remember the L glass with the EF mount can be acquired for a fraction of RF prices.As well as the good stuff from SigmaTamron and apparently Tokina have a nice 50mm.Minty used glass or discounted superceded stuff fits and works well.

---------- Post added 12-06-20 at 07:21 AM ----------

When I travel I generally like to take 1 or 2 lenses anyway and not fuss with all that stuff. That's why I've been so excited to have a 24-200 that's weather sealed. Killer travel combo where you don't really need anything else.
For me WR isnt that important,you have emphasised it is to you.Ive been caught in rain twice(both with K50) in over 60 years of shooting.

My RP with 24-240 and 35f1.8 does a great job.

A WR M43 kit if the weathers bad Em5mk2 with 14-150.
12-05-2020, 02:41 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Yes,but remember the L glass with the EF mount can be acquired for a fraction of RF prices.As well as the good stuff from SigmaTamron and apparently Tokina have a nice 50mm.Minty used glass or discounted superceded stuff fits and works well.

---------- Post added 12-06-20 at 07:21 AM ----------

For me WR isnt that important,you have emphasised it is to you.Ive been caught in rain twice(both with K50) in over 60 years of shooting.

My RP with 24-240 and 35f1.8 does a great job.

A WR M43 kit if the weathers bad Em5mk2 with 14-150.
If weather sealing wasn't important to me I would go with Canon if you aren't into any of the lens systems. The Canon Connect app also transfers full size jpegs as you shoot so that's a big plus. Nikons snapbridge just does 2mb for real time.

Last edited by LeeRunge; 12-05-2020 at 02:50 PM.
12-06-2020, 08:27 AM   #14
Pentaxian

The Odyssey of the Canon EOS R5: Is it the best hybrid camera?

Probably but thats an opinion of the cat man.

PhillipBloom has done plenty of high level video productions and started his journey with a Pentax.

In the first few minutes theres some nice 645Z shots.He is an avid stills shooter but video is where his $ come from.

This is a 2 part series but part 2 isnt available just yet(that i can see).I'll post it when it is.

The BEST HYBRID on the market - but a HOT & MESSY start! - YouTube
He is one of the very few guys on the net who actually know how to make proper good looking videos.

The Odyssey of the Canon EOS R5: Is it the best hybrid camera?