Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2020, 12:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

ML FF System for Old Manual Focus Pentax K and M42 Lenses?

Hello, I have some old manual focus Pentax lenses, K and M42 mount. Which ML FF system, between Nikon Z or Panasonic L, would be more suitable for these K-mount and M42-mount lenses? So far I have only used Pentax APS-C DSLR cameras. Now it's time to switch to a ML FF, but I really want to use the lenses I mentioned. In addition to choosing the ML FF system itself, I am also interested in the existing offer for adapters other than Novoflex. Thank you.

12-03-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's your budget?

IMO, if the 2 choices are fairly close in terms of specs & features, it's all about the EVF size & quality.
12-03-2020, 02:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Now it's time to switch to a ML FF, but I really want to use the lenses I mentioned.
Just curious what your reasons are for ML FF rather than a K-1?

And this adapter was recently announced: The world's first PK-FE autofocus transfer ring - PentaxForums.com
12-03-2020, 04:20 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In addition to choosing the ML FF system itself, I am also interested in the existing offer for adapters other than Novoflex. Thank you.
The utility of available adapters may well be what swings your choice.

Steve

12-03-2020, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The utility of available adapters may well be what swings your choice.

Steve

this is true - K&F Concept adapters fit my strategy best and they seem to be well-engineered & built...
12-03-2020, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #6
mee
Veteran Member

Being able to zoom the image to 100% straight through the viewfinder as well as focus peaking coloring can be advantages to mirrorless for manual focus shooting.

Please let's not debate or question the man's decision to buy a mirrorless camera, but just respect that he has made a decision for himself on this matter.
12-03-2020, 06:34 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have used the Fotodiox and Fotasy adapters to mount my Takumar, Pentax, Nikon and Canon lenses to my Fuji and have found these relatively inexpensive adapters work just fine. You should be able to find something that will work with either camera. And then the whole galaxy of older manual lenses made for film cameras will be available. That's the beauty of mirrorless.

12-04-2020, 02:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In short, for old lenses I prefer an ML because it offers "focus peaking" in the viewfinder. I also wanted focus stacking (shifting) implemented in the camera.

On the internet I found two scattered posts in which two users of the Panasonic L system complained that their "focus peaking" does not work when mounting vintage lenses without electrical contacts. I wanted to know if this is a general rule for the L system. There is not much information about the use of old lenses on this system, mainly for photography.
12-04-2020, 03:22 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you're going to shoot mostly manual lenses, I'd say the Nikon Z5 should give you the best bang for the buck out of those systems... If you are also willing to consider Sony, there are ridiculously cheap offers on older A7 cameras - the A7ii is on sale for under 900€ here.
12-04-2020, 04:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sony does not offer focus stacking. Indeed, the Z5 is a very good variant, but it is said to have the sensor on the Nikon 750, so technology from 2014. I got used to what KP can do at high ISO, so from an FF I have high requirements
12-04-2020, 06:56 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

I bought a barely used Z5 two weeks ago for my M42s and manual K-mount lenses. Iīve been using a K&F Concept K-mount to Z adapter with and without the Pentax M42 to K-mount adapter. Two dumb M42 adapters are coming from China someday..

Itīs still early days but so far Iīm happy I chose Nikon. I considered Pana S5 too, but I didnīt need all those video features and the EVF was smaller. Didnīt go for used Z6 because with Z5 I could use my old SD cards. Z5 EVF is big and seems good enough. S1 EVF would be even better but the body is just too big and heavy for small lenses.. Only Sony that was on my radar was A7RIII but was just too expensive.. And I think 24MP is great for old lenses.

IQ is really good, I think itīs a fine sensor up to 25600 ISO. YMMV.

I set up a user mode (U3) for vintage lenses, M mode with auto ISO. AF-on button is 100% magnification and Fn2 is 200%. Rec button changes lens focal length for IBIS, which works great, almost 5 stops. About a stop better than I get with K-1.

One thing I donīt like.. Focal length is not recorded to Exif.. unless you use the FTZ adapter.. . So it only works with Nikon lenses. Not sure if Pana or Sony does this either?
12-04-2020, 08:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pen-A Quote
I bought a barely used Z5 ....
Does stabilization work with M42 and K lenses? Doesn't the user have to enter the focal length at the beginning, as it should for Pentax for old lenses?
12-04-2020, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Yes, it works with any lens and adapter. IBIS even works with EFCS and silent shooting. You have 20 slots for focal lengths which you access via menu or a custom button and dial. You just have to remember to do so when you change lenses or the IBIS will use the last setting you used. It does not ask you to set it when you power up like Pentax does.
12-04-2020, 01:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you. Does focus peaking work properly with old lenses? Can the user also rely on automatic exposure?
12-04-2020, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you. Does focus peaking work properly with old lenses? Can the user also rely on automatic exposure?
Yes, absolutely. Both work!

One thing the Panasonic might have that the Z's don't is zebras in still mode. They can be quite useful for exposure judging...though they are a bit deceptive for Raws. But auto exposure still works quite will and it is easy to see the effects of exposure compensation as well.