Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2020, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Our context of " photographically inclined " obviously differ.
Could be the Crow in your diet!

Ya fed it to the cricket team I see.

12-18-2020, 06:10 PM   #17
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Could be the Crow in your diet!

Ya fed it to the cricket team I see.

12-18-2020, 06:18 PM   #18
Pentaxian

" photographically inclined "
Sometime last year I read(somewhere) that 95%of photos were taken with Sphns...I posted it in a thread somewhere and some comments were

"and the rest"..."more like 99%"

Also saw a statistic that on Flikr,49% of images were by Dslr and 38% by phone.That was a while ago too.

I hope you gave the Indian batters some runs,although they would know all about that!

---------- Post added 12-19-20 at 12:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I dislike handling my phone for photographic purposes,
Many do,but a cheap pistol grip accessory can help a lot.

---------- Post added 12-19-20 at 12:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I have seen wonderful photos made with smartphones..
They will get better and better as time passes,Dedicated cameras will become specialty only.There are areas that will be hard to imagine a phone camera will match,however the phone makers will try for sure.
12-18-2020, 06:32 PM   #19
dbs
Pentaxian

On a side note the Sydney test is looking shaky

12-18-2020, 06:40 PM   #20
Pentaxian

On a side note the Sydney test is looking shaky
Yes, lockdown in the main area of the outbreak but that can change in a couple of days.Either way.

The area I live in hasnt had a case since near the start of the year(RubyPrincess time) but I'm guessing infected person/s could be here now.

I'm yet to wear a mask out but starting today when I go for groceries!
12-19-2020, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Now that Canon and Nikon have clearly made the step it is only a matter of time dslrs will go the way of film slr's. Fading out.
The problem with this is that its bad analogy. The differences between film SLRs and DSLRs is much greater than the difference between DSLRs and mirrorless. When I moved from film SLRs to digital in 2006, I was stunned about how much better the images were — and that was with a 6 MP *istDL and the 18-55 kit lens! There's no such image improvement going from DSLRs to mirrorless, so there's no compelling reason to move over other than mirrorless is seen as "new" and the "future" (and it's irrational to spend thousands of dollars to switch over for such trivial reasons). The advantages of mirrorless are mostly confined to things related to the EVF, such as eye AF —which is advantage confined mostly to professional event photography and maybe wildlife photography. That's a small minority of total serious photographers who are willing to invest in ILCs. In scenic photography, such as landscape, the advantages are close to nil. When I go to iconic landscape places I'm still seeing the dominance of DSLRs (75%+). The main issue with DSLRs is that they are a mature technology, so that if you've bought an FF DSLR in the last nine, ten years you don't really need to buy another one until your current camera gives out, and that's slowing down sales. But as mirrorless FF is maturing, the same thing is going to happen in that space as well. The days of compelling upgrades are over, and mirrorless can't do anything about that (and it's a bit of a fraud that it's trying to).
12-20-2020, 04:33 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Well for Canon it seems to be a good move. The R5 and a lot of RF mount lenses are still sold out at most retailers and the R6 has been at times also.

As far as performance the R5 and 6 are far better than the dslr bodies. After a month with the R5 I sold my 5dsr and 1DX2 and picked up the R6. The auto focus performance and frame rate is great, the EVF looks great, that was a concern for me never using one before.

I’m using two EF mount lenses with the adapters and the lenses work just like on a EF body so Canon did a great job of making the switch easy.

I definitely think Canon made the right move with going all in on mirrorless and with the rumored lenses and bodies for 2021 I think more people will be buying.

12-20-2020, 04:50 PM   #23
Pentaxian

YES!

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
Well for Canon it seems to be a good move. The R5 and a lot of RF mount lenses are still sold out at most retailers and the R6 has been at times also.

As far as performance the R5 and 6 are far better than the dslr bodies. After a month with the R5 I sold my 5dsr and 1DX2 and picked up the R6. The auto focus performance and frame rate is great, the EVF looks great, that was a concern for me never using one before.

I’m using two EF mount lenses with the adapters and the lenses work just like on a EF body so Canon did a great job of making the switch easy.

I definitely think Canon made the right move with going all in on mirrorless and with the rumored lenses and bodies for 2021 I think more people will be buying.
Thats Canon laughing all the way to the bank.

Someone I know has recently ditchd his 2 5dmk3s in favour of the R6, I had a go recently(swapped him my RP).Its nice.

He was using EF adapter,doesnt have any RF yet.

Canon are not "all in on M/L" though but at this stage the majority of R/D is in that direction.They said if there was demand for Dslr/EF then they will meet it(thats the way I understand it).The 1DXmk 3 came out.90D within the time they have been marketing r stuff.

Next year will see some substantial developments,they have $ony in their sights!

---------- Post added 12-21-20 at 11:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
it is only a matter of time dslrs will go the way of film slr's. Fading out.
Possibly fade to 25-30% of ILC in the next 3-5 years.

---------- Post added 12-21-20 at 11:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
The advantages of mirrorless are mostly confined to
Not so sure about what you listed,there are lots of M/L users creating content that moves which is a significant advantage over what most Dslrs offer.

---------- Post added 12-21-20 at 11:15 AM ----------

The days of compelling upgrades are over,
M/L are advancing rapidly....Fuji GFX 100...and its baby bro which will be announced soon.

R5 and the newbys coming next year

The rumoured A7iv and A9iii should be big jumps up.
12-20-2020, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

The advantages of mirrorless are mostly confined to things related to the EVF, such as eye AF —which is advantage confined mostly to professional event photography and maybe wildlife photography.
I shoot wildlife, just a hobby but the animal eye af is a big reason why I switched, the other is being able to shoot silent. Even with the mechanical shutter it's so much quieter than a DSLR with the mirror slap, but being able to shoot completely silent is great. I scared off so many animals with the 1DX2 mirror slap, it's like a freight train coming through.

Also not having to worry about micro adjustments is nice, I only ever had to do it with one lens and body combo though.

For landscape though the benefits are probably not as big though except for newer sensors. I know when I had the 5dsr and 6454Z and shot landscapes I always used live view and even manual focus a good amount.
12-20-2020, 05:52 PM   #25
Pentaxian

shoot completely silent is great. I scared off so many animals with the 1DX2 mirror slap, it's like a freight train coming through.
Ha HA,

yes,birds will take fright at the sound of that mirror/shutter noise.

For landscape though the benefits are probably not as big
K-1 does a great job at landscape and product stuff,a good job with other slow things.645Z would take it a step or 2 further.
12-21-2020, 12:57 AM   #26
Pentaxian

The problem with this is that its bad analogy. The differences between film SLRs and DSLRs is much greater than the difference between DSLRs and mirrorless. When I moved from film SLRs to digital in 2006, I was stunned about how much better the images were — and that was with a 6 MP *istDL and the 18-55 kit lens! There's no such image improvement going from DSLRs to mirrorless, so there's no compelling reason to move over other than mirrorless is seen as "new" and the "future" (and it's irrational to spend thousands of dollars to switch over for such trivial reasons). The advantages of mirrorless are mostly confined to things related to the EVF, such as eye AF —which is advantage confined mostly to professional event photography and maybe wildlife photography. That's a small minority of total serious photographers who are willing to invest in ILCs. In scenic photography, such as landscape, the advantages are close to nil. When I go to iconic landscape places I'm still seeing the dominance of DSLRs (75%+). The main issue with DSLRs is that they are a mature technology, so that if you've bought an FF DSLR in the last nine, ten years you don't really need to buy another one until your current camera gives out, and that's slowing down sales. But as mirrorless FF is maturing, the same thing is going to happen in that space as well. The days of compelling upgrades are over, and mirrorless can't do anything about that (and it's a bit of a fraud that it's trying to).
Bad analogies are always used to try making DSLRs disappear; and film vs digital is no better than car vs horse carriage.

On one side we have a tremendous paradigm shift, on the other, just a different viewfinder solution. Yet we're asked to believe this is somewhat similar.
And the hyped electronic version still has serious drawbacks for many people, with no sign these would be fixed anytime soon.

I guess they really don't have proper arguments.
12-21-2020, 01:00 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I shoot wildlife, just a hobby but the animal eye af is a big reason why I switched, the other is being able to shoot silent. Even with the mechanical shutter it's so much quieter than a DSLR with the mirror slap, but being able to shoot completely silent is great. I scared off so many animals with the 1DX2 mirror slap, it's like a freight train coming through.

Also not having to worry about micro adjustments is nice, I only ever had to do it with one lens and body combo though.

For landscape though the benefits are probably not as big though except for newer sensors. I know when I had the 5dsr and 6454Z and shot landscapes I always used live view and even manual focus a good amount.
A while ago, don't remember if in this forum or some other place, I've heard a story of a model complaining about the photographer's Pentax DSLR... you see, it was too quiet and the model was used to take the shutter noise as a cue on when to keep a pose. The previous Nikon was noisier thus much better.
12-21-2020, 01:40 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While I agree that mirrorless system advantages are over-promoted, that’s really incidental to the OP’s question. What a significant proportion of the market believes is more important. Whether that belief is sustained at the same level over time is another matter.

At this stage, it looks like a good move for Canon, in that they seem to be making up some ground lost to Sony, although we don’t know in detail what the associated economics have been for Canon. Nikon doesn’t appear to have gained the same advantage.

Nobody wants to talk about Olympus in this context, although it’s easy to dismiss them because of their sensor size, but the same can’t be said for Samsung.
12-21-2020, 04:02 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it has been good for Canon, bad for Nikon, and bad for Sony.

Nikon has already had to release a second generation of a couple of their MILCs, they have sunk a lot of money into MILCs and the R and D necessary to get them off the ground and they haven't acquired a bunch of market share as a result. This year has been a disaster in general and so I don't know that you can read too much into it, but it sounds as though fiscally they are running in the red right now.

Canon has gotten some market share away from Sony and so that is something, although I am not sure if Canon had just continued to invest in SLRs if they could have made similar gains. Hard to say, I guess.

Overall, I still question for those uninterested in video, how much real world difference there is between MILCs and SLRs. They are the new and shiny devices, but I think the resulting images are pretty similar.
12-21-2020, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Overall, I still question for those uninterested in video, how much real world difference there is between MILCs and SLRs. They are the new and shiny devices, but I think the resulting images are pretty similar.
When it comes to autofocus tracking it's huge. I shot a 1DX2 for a couple years and that is one of the best DSLR bodies for autofocus and the R5 is much better. I was blown away by it that's why I sold my DSLR bodies and picked up a R6. They also put out another firmware update that corrected a problem I was having with going from near too far or far too near with my 600 F4. I can't image what someone who has only shot a K3 or K1 would think if they shot the R5 for a month.

You get 100% frame coverage not just the 61 points in the middle of the frame and that helps with tracking fast moving animals. The animal eye af works great, it's not perfect but does a great job. I've never tried the people eye af but it looks like it works better than the animal mode. I can imagine for a portrait or wedding type photographer it would speed up your workflow with being able to get the shot quicker.

But if you don't shoot fast moving animals or lots of people you really don't need it. Landscapes or architecture shooters will not benefit from it.