Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
12-20-2020, 03:53 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Which $ony body with Pentax glass via Monster AF adapter?

So I'm wondering which body will pair the best with this new adapter that opens up some different capabilities for the glass that many own.A7/A7r/A7s wont work due to the AF restriction.

Please stay on the subject of the title

I like the size of the A7C,Bdery owns it and will definitely be a good source of info once the Monster is available.

UncleVanya I hope will partake!

Last edited by surfar; 12-20-2020 at 04:00 PM.
12-20-2020, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

I would keep to the latest offerings that have in body stabilization.
12-20-2020, 07:34 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote

So I'm wondering which body will pair the best with this new adapter that opens up some different capabilities for the glass that many own.

I like the size of the A7C,Bdery owns it and will definitely be a good source of info once the Monster is available.

UncleVanya I hope will partake!
I’m very interested in what people think. My understanding is that the af improved between the a7x2 and a7x3 series. But the basic features are all supposedly there in the A7R2.
12-20-2020, 07:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I’m very interested in what people think. My understanding is that the af improved between the a7x2 and a7x3 series. But the basic features are all supposedly there in the A7R2.
Super interesting,imo too.

There are some "rumoured" bodies coming.They have been registered,so they are coming but the specs tossed about may not be exactly correct.

We know what the existing bodies are like,the next gen will be very very good(for a $ony!)

12-20-2020, 08:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The A7C has my interest, too. I love the looks of the silver version, and I really like how the EVF is off to the side, allowing the user's nose to comfortably sit beside the camera, instead of smushed against the back, leaving greasy streaks all over the screen. If that EVF wasn't so small, I'd buy one now.

I really hope other FF mirrorless cameras start putting the viewfinder to the side like that in the future. Of course it had to be in the center for SLR's, but with mirrorless, there's no reason to force the user to smush their nose against the back of the camera anymore, except to satisfy preconceived notions of what a "serious" camera should like like.
12-20-2020, 08:16 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
The A7C has my interest, too. I love the looks of the silver version, and I really like how the EVF is off to the side, allowing the user's nose to comfortably sit beside the camera, instead of smushed against the back, leaving greasy streaks all over the screen. If that EVF wasn't so small, I'd buy one now.

I really hope other FF mirrorless cameras start putting the viewfinder to the side like that in the future. Of course it had to be in the center for SLR's, but with mirrorless, there's no reason to force the user to smush their nose against the back of the camera anymore, except to satisfy preconceived notions of what a "serious" camera should like like.
In m43 I prefer the rangefinder look - thus my GX1,7 & 8.
12-20-2020, 09:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Me looking to use my DA560 with a Sony to use the eye AF. So A9 it is :-)

12-20-2020, 10:11 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by siva.ss.kumar Quote
Me looking to use my DA560 with a Sony to use the eye AF. So A9 it is :-)
Lol. I am forever using long lenses for candid portraits. The longest I’ve used however is a 400mm f5.6 - the 560 would be even more fun.
12-20-2020, 10:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Umm. I want to do "animal" eye AF
12-21-2020, 12:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I am also eagerly waiting for this adapter. It will be interesting to know the price and release date.
Planning to combine it with my Tamron 70-300 + Rayox150 and my A6500 for macro shots.
12-21-2020, 12:58 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote

Unless you're left-eye dominant, of course.
I've the A7iii, bought a larger aftermarket eyecup and it not only shields incident light a little better but it actually helps distance my nose from the screen/body. Makes it a lot more comfortable, too, so pluses all round.

That said, I've been looking at Fuji X-E# series cameras as a potential second body and they're all off to the side to keep the rangefinder styling.

Edit: and getting back onto the thread title, it pretty well goes without saying that the newer bodies handle AF better than older ones.
The A7Rii is usually touted as the best 'bang for buck' camera these days, so that's almost definitely a good starting place. The A73's are a good option if you're not hounding for masses of pixels, but the A7c is an excellent smaller example and with AF exceeding that of the A73's (somehow, as I've found the A73 to be excellent)!

Last edited by Benz3ne; 12-21-2020 at 01:15 AM.
12-21-2020, 01:03 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
It will be interesting to know the price
Ooku indicated around 350u$d which is reasonable.

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
release date.
Its still in development and testing But likely by mid 2021,possibly Q1.Not that long to wait and plenty of time to $ave 4 a $$$ony!

QuoteOriginally posted by siva.ss.kumar Quote
So A9 it is
With its speed,it will be interesting.

---------- Post added 12-21-20 at 07:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
I've been looking at Fuji X-E# series
I own all 3 versions.The 4th will be announced and released early in 2021.So just wait a bit and the X-E3(24mp,4K video) will be a very good price.Highly capable body and very compact.First 2 produce nice results but are showing their age.
12-21-2020, 01:31 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I own all 3 versions.The 4th will be announced and released early in 2021.So just wait a bit and the X-E3(24mp,4K video) will be a very good price.Highly capable body and very compact.First 2 produce nice results but are showing their age.
Excellent intel - thanks for the heads-up. That said, I've seen the X-E3 going for around £300 these days which is currently within budget...The temptation is real.
12-21-2020, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
£300 these days
Thats a great price for the capability,you wont be disappointed with the output.Try and look through the EVF to see if it suits.Its on the small side but thats the only thing that I kinda find a bit annoying.Very pocketable And works great manually with the Pentax 110 primes.
12-21-2020, 02:14 AM - 6 Likes   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Which $ony body with Pentax glass via Monster AF adapter?
Its still in development and testing But likely by mid 2021,possibly Q1.Not that long to wait and plenty of time to $ave 4 a $$$ony!
Peter, I think you and I get on pretty well, so please could I ask a small, personal favour? Can I respectfully appeal to your better nature in easing off on the Sony ridicule with this "$" / "$$$" reference in so many of your related posts (96 of them, no less )? As you know, some of us here - myself included - shoot Sony in addition to Pentax... indeed, a few members shoot only Sony. You may personally believe Sony gear is expensive, but I don't feel it's warranted or helpful to the community to bash any brand (which is presumably why we have a forum rule that precludes it). Having made your point, might we move on? Thanks in advance for your consideration, mate

---

Regarding this new adapter, any of the A7, A7R and A7S series from the MkII onwards, the A7C, A6100 through 6500, A9 and A9 MkII - bodies ranging in price from GBP £600 to £4700 - should pair equally well with it. My humble (inexpensive ) A7 MkII is as good a candidate as any, but I'll be waiting for comprehensive reviews and long-term ownership reports before I consider buying one. It needs to be way, way better than the TechArt Pro in build quality, operation and integration for me to be convinced of parting with my money. Which reminds me... I must get my barely-used TechArt Pro onto eBay...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-21-2020 at 03:56 AM.