Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
12-21-2020, 04:16 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
96 of them,
Your maths is good,i trained to teach it at high school level and wouldnt have managed to keep count!

So, I'm intrigued now...So, how many single $ and how many triple $$$ were there?Also did you count the double $$?(or did you miss them?)

Correct answer grants your wish!

12-21-2020, 04:56 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
So, ... how many single $
and how many triple $$$
did you count the double $$?(or did you miss them?)
My original search was only for "$ony". Here's the breakdown for everything from "$ony" to "$$$$$ony" (I stopped there):

"$ony" (96)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=51685569&cx=partner-...UTF-8&q=%24ony

"$$ony" (1)
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=51685583&cx=partner-...-8&q=%24%24ony

"$$$ony" (210)
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=51685593&cx=partner-...q=%24%24%24ony

"$$$$ony" (24)
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=51685602&cx=partner-...24%24%24%24ony

"$$$$$ony" (12)
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=51685669&ie=UTF-8&q=...24%24%24%24ony

96+1+210+24+12 = 343

Correct answer grants your wish!
Thanks in advance. Much appreciated

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-21-2020 at 05:45 AM.
12-21-2020, 07:16 AM - 3 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My original search was only for "$ony". Here's the breakdown for everything from "$ony" to "$$$$$ony" (I stopped there):

"$ony" (96)

$ony - Search Results - PentaxForums.com

"$$ony" (1)

"$$$ony" (210)

"$$$$ony" (24)

"$$$$$ony" (12)

96+1+210+24+12 = 343

Thanks in advance. Much appreciated
Mike you are a treasure.
12-21-2020, 07:21 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two points:

1) release date isn’t set in stone, but the latest I’ve read on Facebook is around the start of the year, however that version of firmware may be limited to screw drive or DC/SDM initially as the code for these hasn’t been merged yet.

2) I recently acquired the A7RII and I’m not bothered by the $ony remarks, I find it in line with CaNikon - it can be used in bashing way but by itself it just seems a nickname that has some basis in reality. Sony bodies might be reasonable - at least older models - but the lens prices even used can be pretty startling. That said, if it’s bothering one member here it might be worth putting this practice to rest.

12-21-2020, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
Unless you're left-eye dominant, of course.
I've the A7iii, bought a larger aftermarket eyecup and it not only shields incident light a little better but it actually helps distance my nose from the screen/body. Makes it a lot more comfortable, too, so pluses all round.

That said, I've been looking at Fuji X-E# series cameras as a potential second body and they're all off to the side to keep the rangefinder styling.

Edit: and getting back onto the thread title, it pretty well goes without saying that the newer bodies handle AF better than older ones.
The A7Rii is usually touted as the best 'bang for buck' camera these days, so that's almost definitely a good starting place. The A73's are a good option if you're not hounding for masses of pixels, but the A7c is an excellent smaller example and with AF exceeding that of the A73's (somehow, as I've found the A73 to be excellent)!
Great point about eye dominance, I hadn't even considered that! But at least the rangefinder layout would provide some distance between the nose and the right hand, if not solving the nose-on-screen problem for left-eye users.

I'm still plodding along with my original a7r. Its enduring adequacy has kept me from upgrading for six years and counting. I would not buy one today if I was in the market, but keeping it is free, so...
12-23-2020, 03:31 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If I had to get a Sony body for manual focus use it would be an A7III. Right megapixel count and good balance of features.

If I were actually buying a Sony body for use with Sony lenses as well, I would get a used a9.
12-23-2020, 08:16 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
If I had to get a Sony body for manual focus use it would be an A7III. Right megapixel count and good balance of features.

If I were actually buying a Sony body for use with Sony lenses as well, I would get a used a9.
Right MP count? I know a lot of Sony shooters who use manual focus (modern) lenses on the R series. But I don't understand how this applies in this thread as it is an autofocus adapter that is the focus of the question.

01-02-2021, 05:01 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just read here: MonsterAdapter that it may arrive in Feb 2021
01-20-2021, 11:43 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Peter, I think you and I get on pretty well, so please could I ask a small, personal favour? Can I respectfully appeal to your better nature in easing off on the Sony ridicule with this "$" / "$$$" reference in so many of your related posts (96 of them, no less )? As you know, some of us here - myself included - shoot Sony in addition to Pentax... indeed, a few members shoot only Sony. You may personally believe Sony gear is expensive, but I don't feel it's warranted or helpful to the community to bash any brand (which is presumably why we have a forum rule that precludes it). Having made your point, might we move on? Thanks in advance for your consideration, mate
It may have already been, but if not, I second this. We get the point. But it’s like an overused quip. We get it. Move on, please.
01-21-2021, 01:45 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
Move on, please.
It might help if you read the thread!...
01-22-2021, 09:27 AM   #26
Veteran Member

My main interest is landscape. So I assume I might (or will) get one of the "r" models. Probably not the latest and most expensive one. A7 r II is getting out of the loop, so maybe r III?
01-22-2021, 12:55 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
My main interest is landscape. So I assume I might (or will) get one of the "r" models. Probably not the latest and most expensive one. A7 r II is getting out of the loop, so maybe r III?
There should be some more info shortly about the adapter,release next month afaik.

If, you don't own a K-1 then consider the first edition up against a Sony.
01-22-2021, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Riii adds pixel shift and improved dynamic range as well as improved autofocus speed and accuracy. The autofocus speed/accuracy might not be a big deal in landscapes, but the pixel shift and dynamic range would be beneficial.

Don’t write the K-1 off, it too has incredible dynamic range and the 36MP sensor is quite good.

K-1:
Pentax K-1 - DxOMark
14.6 EV

A7Rii:
Sony A7R II - DxOMark
13.9 EV

A7Riii:
Sony A7R III - DxOMark
14.7 EV
01-23-2021, 12:30 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Thanks, UncleVanya. However, while AF speed or accuracy aren't a priority in landscape photography, I'm still hesitant with newer Pentaxes as my experience with the AF of older models has been lackluster. But let's not get deeper into this. Also, the availability of K-1 Mk II seems to be close to zero over here since last summer.
01-23-2021, 01:51 AM   #30
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, UncleVanya. However, while AF speed or accuracy aren't a priority in landscape photography, I'm still hesitant with newer Pentaxes as my experience with the AF of older models has been lackluster. But let's not get deeper into this. Also, the availability of K-1 Mk II seems to be close to zero over here since last summer.
Tracking in AF.C mode still isn't great with even more recent Pentax models, but focus accuracy in AF.S mode is excellent, if (as with any DSLR, regardless of brand) you take the time to fine-tune AF for each lens. There's absolutely no reason you should have any reservations, given your primary use-case.

Regarding availability, we've had (and have) no supply issues here in the UK. I note from your profile that you're located somewhere in the EU, so if you're still considering a K-1II you could always order from the Ricoh Imaging Europe store. It's showing as "in stock" there

https://www.ricoh-imaging.eu/eu_en/pentax-k-1-ii

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-23-2021 at 02:12 AM.