Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2021, 02:54 AM - 1 Like   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That must be difficult? How do you do that? Have you designed your own X,Y frame with 3 ink projection nozzles?
It's a commercial product.... I've just ordered a print (the one I posted is a download from the process).... see Corrugated Iron Prints | Canvas Photo Printing

01-10-2021, 03:00 AM   #77
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
It's a commercial product.... I've just ordered a print (the one I posted is a download from the process).... see Corrugated Iron Prints | Canvas Photo Printing
And there I was thinking you were pulling our legs That's really very cool. Would look great against exposed brickwork in a warehouse apartment... kind of an industrial look...
01-10-2021, 03:52 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
And there I was thinking you were pulling our legs That's really very cool. Would look great against exposed brickwork in a warehouse apartment... kind of an industrial look...
Yeh.... I think "outback" type scenes will work well with it as welll.... maybe with the "corrugated" prints incorporated onto some back boards or incorporaring weathered corrugated iron into the "piece".... maybe even cutting the print in ways to enhance it or play with bringing other things into enhance the printed photo.

Last edited by noelpolar; 01-10-2021 at 04:12 AM.
01-10-2021, 04:06 AM   #79
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeh.... I think "outback" type scenes will work well with it as welll.... maybe with the "corrugated" prints incorporated onto some back boards or incorporaring weathered corrugated iron into the "piece".... maybe even cutting the print in ways to enhance the "piece". I'm wanting to play with bringing other things into a "piece" to enhance the printed photo.
I like alternative materials in art - especially those that bring texture of their own to a piece. I watch a few antiques programmes on TV (mostly because there's so much rubbish on the box and at least the antiques shows are quite interesting), and I love it when they find a really old, worn table or cabinet and only lightly restore it, leaving all the gnarly textures of heavily-worn timber. Also vintage metal advertising signs, especially when they have areas that have lost a bit of paint and started to rust gently.

I'd be fascinated to know what equipment and ink (or paint) they use for these corrugated prints... You'd think it would be difficult to achieve much detail with something robust enough to last any length of time (as they claim). They're pretty inexpensive, too. It's kind of worth getting one done just to see how it turns out...

01-10-2021, 08:17 AM   #80
Pentaxian

I think we're beying toyed with, biz
I was serious. I've seen direct print on wood, wood surface being flat, it's different story to print on corrugated iron.
My post got two replies: one reply based on personal assumption, and one direct answer to my question, without assuming anything.

---------- Post added 10-01-21 at 16:18 ----------

Thanks for your answer. After searching the web, I realize that printing on corrugated iron was offered by some photo printing companies. I guess it's new, as I didn't know it was possible to do so before I read your post.
01-10-2021, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Brilliant!

Then all you need is a few fridge magnets with images of family and friends and you can "photoshop" everyone into the scene!
01-10-2021, 09:29 AM   #82
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I was serious. I've seen direct print on wood, wood surface being flat, it's different story to print on corrugated iron.
My post got two replies: one reply based on personal assumption, and one direct answer to my question, without assuming anything.
Come come, now, biz I thought Noel was kidding with us (he's not unknown to have a little joke on occasion) - and I thought you, rather than I, had misunderstood. I was wrong (it does happen... occasionally... ). Noel didn't seem to take offence, so that's good

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-10-2021 at 09:35 AM.
01-10-2021, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Come come, now, biz I thought Noel was kidding with us (he's not unknown to have a little joke on occasion) - and I thought you, rather than I, had misunderstood. I was wrong (it does happen... occasionally... ). Noel didn't seem to take offence, so that's good
I also thought it was a joke considering the image's background, but I'm happy to see it actually exists, it ought to be an interesting look...
01-10-2021, 11:21 AM   #84
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do not believe that the cost of manufacturing larger medium format sensors is a high as some here think. Because larger sized digital sensors are made of multiple smaller sized sensors "stitched" together, their manufacturing costs are relatively proportional to that of making smaller (APS-C, MFT) sensors.

To read the tech behind this click here...
01-10-2021, 11:41 AM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All this megapixel malarkey ignores what one photographer I follow reports - the small but noticeable improvements in image quality, especially tonal range available to manipulate in post. He noticed this moving from a 45MP FF to the GFX50 and noticed it again moving to the GFX100. Yes, he prints his images, and also publishes. He’s a world-class photographer of decades’ experience so I believe his assessment, but I’m not going to mention his name: he doesn’t like gear trolling.

Meantime I continue with my ordinary kit, trying to improve my own eye and processing and dreaming of when I can print my own to a decent size.

Last edited by StiffLegged; 01-10-2021 at 11:55 AM.
01-10-2021, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #86
Pentaxian

thanks Noel,a friend has lined his loft with vertical CI,ive sent him a few examples and suggested some prints to break up the monotony of the iron.Itd be easy to drill and pop rivet 4 corners.
01-10-2021, 01:33 PM   #87
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I do not believe that the cost of manufacturing larger medium format sensors is a high as some here think. Because larger sized digital sensors are made of multiple smaller sized sensors "stitched" together, their manufacturing costs are relatively proportional to that of making smaller (APS-C, MFT) sensors.

To read the tech behind this click here...
I don't think it is the cost of the sensor, it is the fact that there are very few six thousand dollar cameras sold. So the R and D of a project ends up being carried by fewer number of cameras. This tends to jack up the price of each individual camera.

I am sure that Fuji shares tech between their APS-C and medium format cameras, at least to a certain extent, and that probably helps. It's part of the way that Pentax was able to keep the price down on the 645z when it came out.
01-10-2021, 02:58 PM - 2 Likes   #88
Veteran Member

I do try and take the light hearted approach to most things these days..... I can almost be a bit flippant I guess at times.... anyway.... I'm getting a print done to satisfy my curiosity as much as anything.... will create a thread with my observations when I get it. Hopefully it will be ok for outside undercover exposure.
01-10-2021, 03:04 PM   #89
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I do try and take the light hearted approach to most things these days..... I can almost be a bit flippant I guess at times....
No complaints from me... We take ourselves too seriously at times (I'm occasionally guilty of it myself). A bit of humour and light-hearted banter is welcome... Even though, in this instance, I misinterpreted completely

anyway.... I'm getting a print done to satisfy my curiosity as much as anything.... will create a thread with my observations when I get it. Hopefully it will be ok for outside undercover exposure.
Awesome! I'd love to see a couple of photos of it when you have it set up...
01-10-2021, 04:12 PM   #90
Pentaxian

Awesome! I'd love to see a couple of photos of it when you have it set up...
I'm getting a print done to satisfy my curiosity as much as anything.... will create a thread with my observations when I get it. Hopefully it will be ok for outside undercover exposure.
Yes,will be interesting.

I could get one done for my roof,so the drones can see it!

Originally posted by noelpolar*
I do try and take the light hearted approach to most things these days..... I can almost be a bit flippant I guess at times....
No complaints from me... We take ourselves too seriously at times (I'm occasionally guilty of it myself). A bit of humour and light-hearted banter is welcome... Even though, in this instance, I misinterpreted completely