Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2021, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #121
Veteran Member

Dpr got some club to the head from Pentaxians during recent years

01-27-2021, 09:13 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Original Poster
https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-launches-mirrorless-digital-camera-fujifilm-gfx100s/
01-27-2021, 09:21 AM   #123
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
"We've been impressed with what Fujifilm has achieved with the GFX system so far: most of the lenses are superb and the cameras bring a level of mass-market polish and usability that hasn't always been a feature of medium format cameras (Pentax's digital '645' models being the notable exception)."
There's nothing wrong with Pentax cameras, they are good products at the time of release. The K-1 got good evaluations. After the K-1, it seem Ricoh have been taking path of least resistance, buying Tamron lenses and painting Pentax on them.

---------- Post added 27-01-21 at 17:22 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-launches-mirrorless-digital-camera-fujifilm-gfx100s/
Camera technology is moving forward, even with difficult market conditions. Kudo to Fuji to have a vision and keep pressing forward even in difficult times. In the same time, looks like the attitude of Ricoh has been to put they heads in the sand and wait in case the situation would resolve by itself
01-27-2021, 09:24 AM   #124
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
There's nothing wrong with Pentax cameras, they are good products at the time of release. The K-1 got good evaluations. After the K-1, it seem Ricoh have been taking path of least resistance, buying Tamron lenses and painting Pentax on them.
Which of the recent Pentax lens releases (I guess since 2016?) have been rebadged Tamrons? I don't keep up with every new lenses but can't think of one off the top of my head.

01-27-2021, 09:26 AM   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Which of the recent Pentax lens releases (I guess since 2016?) have been rebadged Tamrons? I don't keep up with every new lenses but can't think of one off the top of my head.
15-30, 24-70 and 70-210, half of the zoom lenses for the K1 are quite good, but are Tamron lenses. The worst lens I have is the 24-70, also the one most used, so I use the Pentax 28-105 which is slower but sharper.
01-27-2021, 09:41 AM   #126
Loyal Site Supporter

15-30, 24-70 and 70-210, half of the zoom lenses for the K1 are quite good, but are Tamron lenses. The worst lens I have is the 24-70, also the one most used, so I use the Pentax 28-105 which is slower but sharper.
Thanks. None of those are lenses I've used so I hadn't paid any attention.where they come from. The DFA 50 is Pentax's own (a design Pentax licensed out to Tokina and sold as the widely praised Opera). The DFA70-200 isn't a Tamron. Neither is the new 85 or the 55-300PLM AFAIK. Seems Pentax does a little more than rebadge Tamrons.

Anyway, we probably shouldn't get distracted with discussions of the K1 or its lenses. Especially in a subforum dealing with non-Pentax cameras, and a thread about the new medium-format Fuji.

Last edited by gatorguy; 01-27-2021 at 09:52 AM.
01-27-2021, 10:06 AM   #127
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The competition is certainly pushing onwards on all sides. Be it price, lens lineup, auto focus, image quality or handling. They are all being pushed at a pace! I've said it before but you do have to wonder what goes on at Ricoh. How can they even have staff with the pace of product they deliver?

The Pentax bodies you could argue are fine, counting the K-3 III, but with slow camera release at least push lenses like there's no tomorrow or lower the price of screw drive lenses to where they belong at vintage lens pricing. Fuji is iterating their lenses with WR and other tweaks, Things many have asked of Pentax. Not going milc could imho be justified by having a complete and stable system but it's not there.

I half expect 10 new lenses to be announced just because people must be working on something? I half also don't expect any surprises but only a K-3 III at cp and the two previously announced lenses summer/fall. I can't make sense of the latter option though.

01-27-2021, 11:07 AM   #128
Pentaxian

Ricoh has been to put they heads in the sand
You saw them down there?
01-27-2021, 02:02 PM   #129
Veteran Member

Original Poster
FUJIFILM GFX100S & GF80mm f1.7 first look – More Than Full Frame – jonasrask | photography
01-27-2021, 06:00 PM   #130
Veteran Member

Original Poster
01-28-2021, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #131
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
FUJIFILM GFX100S & GF80mm f1.7 first look – More Than Full Frame – jonasrask | photography
I can't believe this $6000 camera will be worth nothing in 5 years from now. I feel the pain for people who bought the GFX100 original, Fuji release a cheaper and smaller camera with the exact same sensor and firmware improvement in less than two years. I'm glad my K1 is still worth $800 used, but programmed obsolescence is a hard thing.
01-29-2021, 02:00 AM   #132
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it really is many things at once, this new GFX. So far it seems to create that hype they are after(fujifilm). Atleast it does raise a lot of questions. Sertainly it does create the question of where they are haeding next. Gap in price is closing. Obviously this is still not a FPS monster. It really balances on 2 logs. one is MF and other is 35 mm size and functionality. What I'm amazed and many others is that it is so small. Am I happy that value does go down and it becomes in the reach of many more. Yes.

Still it is not -that- affordable. Nor lenses are not that small. But for those who are looking for beefy files this seems to be the ticket.

still not sure what to think about it. Have to look resulting photos. it was nice to see Aarhus from different angle and what these files does offer(jonasrask) I'v been photographing there and can see what is different. Also what is not. One thing is what is there for MF is that look, even on that cropped sensor. Other thing would be printing. I could not justify this over things that I'm already doing for the price.
01-29-2021, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Am I happy that value does go down and it becomes in the reach of many more. Yes.
Thats their goal,to put 33x44 within reach of many more photographers.The 50S and 50R can be had new for a little over U$D 3000 now,They started at much more.

Still it is not -that- affordable.
The 100S is a model that will appeal to many.

Its affordable for those that have the money,Fuji are aiming for the people who buy top end FF.They cant match the speed of FF but many dont need super fast.

lenses are not that small.
Some are not that big.There are plenty of FF lenses that are monsters too.
01-29-2021, 02:43 AM   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Its affordable for those that have the money,Fuji are aiming for the people who buy top end FF.They cant match the speed of FF but many dont need super fast.
If I had that kind of money (and if I were willing to invest it in photography) I'd much rather drop the cash on a larger sensor than on a fast FF - for landscapes, city and travel I'd put to use the extra detail more often than I'd use a long burst for sure...
01-29-2021, 02:53 AM   #135
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Thats their goal,to put 33x44 within reach of many more photographers.The 50S and 50R can be had new for a little over U$D 3000 now,They started at much more.

The 100S is a model that will appeal to many.

Some are not that big.There are plenty of FF lenses that are monsters too.
Yes. There are some nice primes with which one could have a nice small (very) well performing kit. Whole ‘kit setting you back 6+1+2,5+2,5 K + one zoom perhaps. Not much less if you would get Sony or canon latest and biggest.

And that 80/1.7 is not even that big. Ofcourse it is not that corrected as 85 1.2/1.4 or should we say 65/2 lens would be.

Still. Completely different beasts, even if they would remotely seem similar. In fact you could buy just 2 lenses for Fuji and be happy. But you might be lusting after for snappier smaller format time to time. Depends.

That 250mm is just big hunk compared to any even fast 200mm ff. and so is 110 compared to anything else than that 85/1.2 from canon and perhaps 85/1.4 from Pentax.

I’d still go for Pentax 645Z actually. And 35/55/75/120(or 90 instead of 75&120)and 150. And this idea has not left my head.