Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 204 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2021, 12:23 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The cost was cheaper to the manufacturer and bigger profits. After all that's the marketing ethic. Make it for cheaper, sell it for more. Have a few things so people will buy it for more. Watch the money pile up
Sony: Made in China for a few hundred bucks, sell it to the West a few thousand bucks. Selling price = 10 x the cost.

---------- Post added 26-01-21 at 20:41 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
No thanks!The ISO range specs strongly suggest that Sony has once again prioritized video and frame rate to the detriment of image IQ (as they did with the A9).The A1 may be a great camera for video and sports, but it will almost certainly be inferior to the K-1 for landscape.And at 3X the cost of the K-1 what happened to the mirrorless viewfinder is cheaper than optical viewfinder claim?
In the future, they'll change mechanical shutter from focal plane shutter to aircraft style propeller shutter to unlock the limitations of focal plane shutters in terms of frame per second. Once the shutter become aircraft propeller, just increase the rotation speed gives you more FPS, 100FPS, 1000 FPS although 1000 FPS need an acceleration phase before effectively reaching 1000 FPS

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-26-2021 at 12:42 PM.
01-26-2021, 01:33 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

Note from A1 specification: "At 20 frames per second, users can shoot up to 238 full-frame compressed RAW images or 400 full-frame JPEG images."
Is there a camera algorithm to select the one image I want to keep out of the 238 or 400 ? I don't see myself going through each image of the 400 to find the one I won't delete.
01-26-2021, 01:54 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Itis superduper camera for the guys/gals who want the topnotch numbers. What was that..bragging rights, some one had for a while after bought Canon R5...now gone. There is going to be another monster tech marvel.

You coulddo the same with them all...and even better with ’lower tiet’ camera and experience and keep rest of the money. Sure.

But now it is the good old pissinyt contest going. Be sure to be ready to be surprised. Or not. What can and should be expected.
01-26-2021, 01:59 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't follow Sony bodies at all, and took a look at the images, it has a third wheel. When did they get that?

Edit: I'm not sure that is true, it may be the AV wheel in an odd place.

Last edited by Kevin B123; 01-26-2021 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Edit
01-26-2021, 02:31 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sony has had good sensors and tech for years this just takes the next step, they are just too small for my hands.
01-26-2021, 02:57 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
Sony has had good sensors and tech for years this just takes the next step, they are just too small for my hands.
I have large hands and haven’t had problems adjusting to the A7R2. But I also used many smaller cameras and didn’t f in that difficult. I do however know others who can’t stand smaller bodies.
01-26-2021, 03:39 PM - 2 Likes   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Very little? This just killed R5. On all fronts.
It's like 3000€ more expensive. It better be good.

---------- Post added 01-26-21 at 03:40 PM ----------

No thanks!

The ISO range specs strongly suggest that Sony has once again prioritized video and frame rate to the detriment of image IQ (as they did with the A9).

The A1 may be a great camera for video and sports, but it will almost certainly be inferior to the K-1 for landscape.

And at 3X the cost of the K-1 what happened to the mirrorless viewfinder is cheaper than optical viewfinder claim?
3 times? Almost 4 by now .

EDIT: at DPR they have some sample images. Both portraits are focused on the tip of the eyelashes. Can we get a "Sony's AF is terrible" going? :P

Last edited by Serkevan; 01-26-2021 at 03:56 PM.
01-26-2021, 04:15 PM - 6 Likes   #38
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I notice it has eye-AF for birds (surely an essential for all those f/1.4 eagle shots), but I'm a little concerned that spider eye-AF still isn't included at this price. I mean, surely we've all found it impossible to acquire and track the leading eye (er... eyes?) of a giant house spider as it runs across our kitchen floor... Haven't we? No? Oh, OK... maybe the A1's "good enough" for you folks, then. Me? I'm waiting for the A1a (a = arachnid edition)... and I want to see it tracking focus as the spider rides towards me on a bicycle

[SERIOUS MODE=ON]

Come on... Bird eye-AF... Really?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-27-2021 at 03:26 AM.
01-26-2021, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Very little? This just killed R5. On all fronts.
Yeah, it killed the R5 on price mostly. 2600$ difference between the two.

A1 still has 10fps with mechanical shutter while R5 has 12fps. A1 still has 5.5 stops of IBIS while R5 has up to 8 stops. A1 is recording 8k externally at 10bit 4.2.0 for 30 minutes (if the temperature warnings are set to their most tolerant setting), while R5 records 8k at 12bit 4.2.2 internally for 30 minutes. Eye af for birds on R5 is the standard to beat so here again A1 has to be seen in real life testing. Also, the R5 has a 3.2" rear screen with 2,1 milion dots resolution while A1 has a 3" LCD with 1,4 milion dots.

That being said, A1 does have some advantages over R5 and it should have for extra 2600$. I have no doubt that A1 will perform as expected because Sony do listen and improve each of their cameras in the areas that showed weeaknesses in previous models.

---------- Post added 01-26-21 at 11:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Note from A1 specification: "At 20 frames per second, users can shoot up to 238 full-frame compressed RAW images or 400 full-frame JPEG images."
Is there a camera algorithm to select the one image I want to keep out of the 238 or 400 ? I don't see myself going through each image of the 400 to find the one I won't delete.
It's simple then: buy a slower camera (A7R IV) or take the finger off the shutter from time to time.

---------- Post added 01-26-21 at 11:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Personally, I see a lot of impressive technology crammed into this camera. But, I imagine that the menu system would be quite complicated (or convoluted). I also read that 164 functions can be assigned to 17 custom keys -- how does a user remember all these settings?

- Craig
You assign the most important 17 to the custom keys, you assign the next important 20 features to My menu and you know that you can assign any other feature from the ones remaining once your shooting prefferences will change.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 01-27-2021 at 02:34 AM.
01-26-2021, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
track the leading eye (er... eyes) of a giant house spider as it runs across our kitchen floor... Haven't we?
If you panic and thwack the poor spider with the camera, it's a Sony, so the jury is still out on what will break first; spiders can be tough after all

Jokes aside, the camera has one of the most impressive spec sheets I've ever seen. Flash sync at 1/400 mechanical shutter is jaw-dropping, simply put.
01-26-2021, 04:52 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Flash sync at 1/400 mechanical shutter is jaw-dropping, simply put.
This is the feature I'm interested in and also the EVF given the resolution, magnification and it's 240fps refresh rate. The flash sync on the electronic shutter doesn't interest me as much because even if the camera is silent, the flashes aren't.

The tracking af should also be very very good knowing how good the one from A9 is.
01-26-2021, 05:04 PM - 6 Likes   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I notice it has eye-AF for birds (surely an essential for all those f/1.4 eagle shots), but I'm a little concerned that spider eye-AF still isn't included at this price. I mean, surely we've all found it impossible to acquire and track the leading eye (er... eyes) of a giant house spider as it runs across our kitchen floor... Haven't we? No? Oh, OK... maybe the A1's "good enough" for you folks, then. Me? I'm waiting for the A1a (a = arachnid edition)... and I want to see it tracking focus as the spider rides towards me on a bicycle

[SERIOUS MODE=ON]

Come on... Bird eye-AF... Really?
Spider Eye AF is available on the web!

You can get snail AF, but you'll have to shell out.

There's also an upgrade for octopus AF, but only suckers pay for that.

There's no hedgehog AF as yet, but where there's a quill, there's a way.
01-26-2021, 05:13 PM - 4 Likes   #43
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Spider Eye AF is available on the web!

You can get snail AF, but you'll have to shell out.

There's also an upgrade for octopus AF, but only suckers pay for that.

There's no hedgehog AF as yet, but where there's a quill, there's a way.
LOL Apparently, the designers of the A1 proposed it should track focus on the eye of a needle, but management couldn't see the point
01-26-2021, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Yeah, it killed the R5
Theres plenty of Sony$ fanboys sprouting this, in reality, they have advantages over each other.So the R5mkII will jump ahead next year!

For the money, tomorrows Fuji is better value than A1 for run of the mill average photography(that rich kids do).
01-26-2021, 05:16 PM - 2 Likes   #45
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Theres plenty of Sony$ fanboys sprouting this, in reality, they have advantages over each other.So the R5mkII will jump ahead next year!

For the money, tomorrows Fuji is better value than A1 for run of the mill average photography(that rich kids do).
Still, Pete?