Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Search preceding $
Sigh...
01-26-2021, 05:49 PM - 2 Likes   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I notice it has eye-AF for birds (surely an essential for all those f/1.4 eagle shots), but I'm a little concerned that spider eye-AF still isn't included at this price. I mean, surely we've all found it impossible to acquire and track the leading eye (er... eyes) of a giant house spider as it runs across our kitchen floor... Haven't we? No? Oh, OK... maybe the A1's "good enough" for you folks, then. Me? I'm waiting for the A1a (a = arachnid edition)... and I want to see it tracking focus as the spider rides towards me on a bicycle

[SERIOUS MODE=ON]

Come on... Bird eye-AF... Really?
If you're close enough, it can track the eyes of a spider. This guy focused on a fly head with R5.

And this guy did use the eye af on a spider with success.

Canon R5 with Spider-Eye auto focus: Canon EOS R Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

---------- Post added 01-27-21 at 12:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Theres plenty of Sony$ fanboys sprouting this, in reality, they have advantages over each other.So the R5mkII will jump ahead next year!

For the money, tomorrows Fuji is better value than A1 for run of the mill average photography(that rich kids do).
They can "kill" each other every year by my part as long as on new cameras they bring us such impressive specs while they also improve the older ones like they do now.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 01-26-2021 at 06:09 PM.
01-26-2021, 06:02 PM - 2 Likes   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Sigh...
Ditto

01-27-2021, 12:21 AM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
It's like 3000€ more expensive. It better be good.
Isn't this now madness?

There is a new Sony camera that just tries to close the gap to the competition in partial ways and it costs that much extra, that you could as well buy another extra brandnew, current top line camera just for the price difference, or easily 3x a mint quality used K-1. Just extra.
On top of already massive price levels.

Such small evolutionary enhancements in relatively niche areas now cost more than what most enthusiasts will be tolerating as their full investment into a camera plus a complete set of lenses.

And then you get eyelash AF.
01-27-2021, 12:31 AM - 3 Likes   #51
Pentaxian

Quite a camera, this new Sony A1.

As a rank amateur, just an enthusiast I could never keep up to the never ending evolution of photographic equipment, from either a budget standpoint or just always getting the latest and greatest.

I bought my new K1 in '17 and my last new camera was my Ricoh GR ll in 2019, when it was already obsolete.

My Pentax K1's features and abilities have still not been completely explored by me, after 4 years. I find that analyzing what these two fine cameras can do, and knowing what I can do...that at this point, if I had to replace them , I would probably replace them with whatever is their modern equivalent in the Pentax/Ricoh GR lines.

In reading some of these posts, I see that some modern camera equipment can autofocus on the eye of a fly .

Well, I don't know if my equipment can do that. I don't.

As it presently is -33 and mid winter where I live. No fly eyes to AF on, at this point. They should awaken from their torpor or hatch out, sometime in May. I will attempt to AF on the eye of first available fly, at that time and report back.
01-27-2021, 02:00 AM - 3 Likes   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Isn't this now madness?

There is a new Sony camera that just tries to close the gap to the competition in partial ways and it costs that much extra, that you could as well buy another extra brandnew, current top line camera just for the price difference, or easily 3x a mint quality used K-1. Just extra.
On top of already massive price levels.

Such small evolutionary enhancements in relatively niche areas now cost more than what most enthusiasts will be tolerating as their full investment into a camera plus a complete set of lenses.

And then you get eyelash AF.
The enhancements in niche areas makes 1Dx Mark III and D6 to differentiate from the other models. Same with A1 which considering the price and features it's aimed to the niche market, as both 1Dx and D6 are. You can buy 10 Pentax K1 and you still can't get 30fps at 50mp, 8k at 30fps and 4k at 120fps. You also won't have an AF system to work down as far as f/22, a sixteen-shot pixel shift mode, a 5GHz wifi transfer of files or 1/400s flash sync. For the majority, all these features maybe don't matter, but yet again, this isn't a camera released for the majority.

01-27-2021, 02:32 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
The enhancements in niche areas makes 1Dx Mark III and D6 to differentiate from the other models. Same with A1 which considering the price and features it's aimed to the niche market, as both 1Dx and D6 are. You can buy 10 Pentax K1 and you still can't get 30fps at 50mp, 8k at 30fps and 4k at 120fps. You also won't have an AF system to work down as far as f/22, a sixteen-shot pixel shift mode, a 5GHz wifi transfer of files or 1/400s flash sync. For the majority, all these features maybe don't matter, but yet again, this isn't a camera released for the majority.
It is the camera for the ones who cant choose, but want everything in one paggage
Or the it is -just- to try to claim that ’king of the hill’ sign. WWA Championship belt... you name it. It is windy up there.

And these are also very capable machines too for ones who cant really cut it with out.
01-27-2021, 06:01 AM   #54
Pentaxian

For the majority, all these features maybe don't matter, but yet again, this isn't a camera released for the majority.
Exactly like a new large format analogue film camera.

And this widening gap between what snobbish manufacturers drop in the market and what the broad market demand is, is ultimately threatening their very existence.

If the majority of photographers just goes "yawn. Sony released another incremental update with non-existent value proposition" like they did with the A1 now, then it's not a way out of their misery of collapsing sales.
01-27-2021, 06:53 AM - 2 Likes   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As usual people are missing the point. The A1 is priced and spec'ed to compete with the Canon 1Dx3 which is a $6,500 camera. When Canon releases the R1 it will be priced at the same price point.
01-27-2021, 06:57 AM   #56
Pentaxian

You'd think manufacturers would be somewhat interested in market share, but these days everyone is trying to be the premium marketing leader. More bells and whistle, more ridiculous features. IN this case, features that defy logic.

I'd be interested in hearing one justification o this camera by a pro. I suspect it's mainly under-performing amateurs with big wallets looking for bragging rights. If my camera ever by sae means takes 30 frames a second, I'll send it in for repair immediately. Yesterday somehow my ZS100 was set to burst mode and fired of 40 frames when I wanted one. I actually tossed them. That was way too much processing just to look at them all for what I wanted, s I just tossed the lot.

I'm left with the question, who actually uses this stuff?
01-27-2021, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Exactly like a new large format analogue film camera.

And this widening gap between what snobbish manufacturers drop in the market and what the broad market demand is, is ultimately threatening their very existence.

If the majority of photographers just goes "yawn. Sony released another incremental update with non-existent value proposition" like they did with the A1 now, then it's not a way out of their misery of collapsing sales.
Call it how you want, but A1 it's not an incremental update over A9 II or any other Sony model. It's quite a big update. If they truly managed to eliminate the rolling shutter, the flicker on the electronic shutter and with the addition of flash sync on the electronic shutter, we may not need a mechanical shutter at all on the future cameras. Sports shooters who shoot at big sport events have also the option to shoot JPEG images at 21mp so that they can transfer on the fly their images to be sorted, edited and posted online in a matter of 1-2 minutes. The ones doing both photos and video have quite a capable video camera also... Does it worth 6500$? A Sony user who shoot with A9 II may be interested in this camera because again, to me A1 it's a big improvement over any other Sony camera. An A7 III or A7R II photographer may not be that much interested in this camera and Sony let them know this with the price release.

---------- Post added 01-27-21 at 02:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
As usual people are missing the point. The A1 is priced and spec'ed to compete with the Canon 1Dx3 which is a $6,500 camera. When Canon releases the R1 it will be priced at the same price point.
True, but without having yet available an R1 or a Nikon equivalent for D6, people compare the A1 with R5. And to be honest, R5 does look very good considering the 2600$ price difference. I also think that Canon will not follow Sony when comes to resolution for their sport flagship camera, but they probably go for a very weather sealed body, possible with a grip attached like 1Dx and with focus on Af tracking if we take into consideration the quad pixel af that rumors talk about. And in terms of resolution, it may be around 26-28mp.

This way, Canon will have the R6 at 20mp, R1 at 26-28mp, R5 at 45mp and if the rumors are true, they will release a R5s with 90mp. If all these rumors are true, it's a more business oriented approach in my opinion than the one Sony chose with A7R IV and A1 so close in terms of resolution...

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 01-27-2021 at 07:20 AM.
01-27-2021, 07:11 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If my camera ever by sae means takes 30 frames a second, I'll send it in for repair immediately. Yesterday somehow my ZS100 was set to burst mode and fired of 40 frames when I wanted one. I actually tossed them. That was way too much processing just to look at them all for what I wanted, s I just tossed the lot.

I'm left with the question, who actually uses this stuff?
In most ways I concur on the overly hyped feature set being less practical and more wow factor.

I actually have a need for very high frame rates, but not at full resolution. Another hobby of mine is rocketry. Liftoff photos are helpful and when something is moving several hundred miles an hour in a tightly framed shot over a few feet it can be difficult to capture particularly due to the variation in motor ignition times.

In the past I’ve used my k-3 for this, and I have plans to try my Panasonic GX8 in 5mp 40fps. Sure the A1 at 30fps would be fantastic, along with a 600mm etc. but the costs are too rich for my blood. Maybe later the k3iii will fill this niche.
01-27-2021, 07:18 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
the quad pixel af that rumors talk about.
As well as the global shutter rumour.

This way, Canon will have the R6 at 20mp, R1 at 26-28mp, R5 at 45mp and if the rumors are true, they will release a R5s with 90mp. If true, it's a more business oriented approach in my opinion than the one Sony chose with A7R IV and A1 close in terms of resolution...
There has also been mention of an extreme budget FF coming in under the RP and another that replaces the R.So all the price segments are filled.
01-27-2021, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
In most ways I concur on the overly hyped feature set being less practical and more wow factor.

I actually have a need for very high frame rates, but not at full resolution. Another hobby of mine is rocketry. Liftoff photos are helpful and when something is moving several hundred miles an hour in a tightly framed shot over a few feet it can be difficult to capture particularly due to the variation in motor ignition times.

In the past I’ve used my k-3 for this, and I have plans to try my Panasonic GX8 in 5mp 40fps. Sure the A1 at 30fps would be fantastic, along with a 600mm etc. but the costs are too rich for my blood. Maybe later the k3iii will fill this niche.
You could get 60 fps with Olympus one might get awesome bargains now.