Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 204 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2021, 08:53 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
You could get 60 fps with Olympus one might get awesome bargains now.
That’s a nice idea but since I just picked up a KP I need to wait before spending more. I’m also on the fence about Olympus. I own the omd-em1 (MK 1) and I really dislike the menu and control layout.

01-27-2021, 09:04 AM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That’s a nice idea but since I just picked up a KP I need to wait before spending more. I’m also on the fence about Olympus. I own the omd-em1 (MK 1) and I really dislike the menu and control layout.
I also had one Olympus. Did not really like it so much. Okayish. But that mk.3 has fast FPS...if that would be important.

This Sony remains me a bit of that, but 'just 30 fps...with 50 MP image' it does come with price tag thou.
01-27-2021, 09:06 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
I also think that Canon will not follow Sony when comes to resolution for their sport flagship camera, but they probably go for a very weather sealed body, possible with a grip attached like 1Dx and with focus on Af tracking if we take into consideration the quad pixel af that rumors talk about. And in terms of resolution, it may be around 26-28mp.
The A1 has the APS-C mode which gives the 1.5 crop at 21MP. Longer reach and smaller files.
01-27-2021, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #64
Pentaxian

All in all A1 is a huge step up IMO. Regardless of anything else. Seems definetly the upgrade for A9 users with rumoured specs of very fast shutter and large files and almost endless buffer. To me it looks like quite good video machine too. a true Hbrid model. What is is with high density pixedls is that ISO does suffer. I have no idea how they do pull 16 -bit video out of it. They as Canon have really stepped out with these things with video in these aparatuses with out update need for S-LOG or anything. I do wonder how many FS 6 users do pick one of these to accompany the -real- video camera. They have huge battery grip for long duration sessions.

01-27-2021, 09:51 AM - 2 Likes   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can buy 10 Pentax K1 and you still can't get 30fps
One K1 can do 6 frames per second, if you line up 10 K1 and trigger then all with the same remote control, you get 60 frames per second! But of course 10 Pentax K1 is 10kg without lens
01-27-2021, 11:05 AM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
This Sony remains me a bit of that, but 'just 30 fps...with 50 MP image' it does come with price tag thou.
The Sony only achieves 30 FPS on paper with damaged/lossy "raw"files.

Last edited by gatorguy; 01-27-2021 at 11:38 AM.
01-27-2021, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Still. It does sound pretty amazing, to me. As it is. I actually don’t want or need to compare it to anything. And testers will test, what is what. If I was shooting something where I could imagine that would be helpful(have not encountered tgat kind of situation yet) I would not need 50 MP lossless raw file(which is bigger than that). It is still very fast. And IF they have removed rolling jitterywobbly that would make it even more impressive.

I’m not in the target group of this camera, but I think that it is fair to be impressed by what is out there now, if that is what I’m.

I’m also impressed by that R5 . Not the target group of that camera either. Some said that Sony won’t match that or even surpass it. Well to me it looks like they are not far away and perhaps even ahead.

I’ll be looking forward of real benefit from users who have these cameras. Other than bragging rights. Yes. And spider eye focus. I suppose that is going to be quite technical too.

01-27-2021, 12:15 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From Sony's specifications:

"Ultra-fast readout from the 50.1-MP sensor allows continuous bursts at up to 30fps*

*"Hi+" continuous shooting mode, shutter speeds of 1/125 s. or higher. At shutter speeds of 1/250 s. or higher in AF-C mode, the maximum continuous frame rate will depend on the shooting mode and lens used."

"Continuous Drive Speed (approx. max.)
AUTO/Electronic Shutter: Continuous shooting: Hi+: 30fps, Hi: 20fps, Mid: 15fps, Lo: 5fps
Mechanical Shutter: Continuous shooting: Hi+: 10fps, Hi: 8fps, Mid: 6fps, Lo: 3fps"

"During uncompressed RAW shooting, 20 images are shot per second at maximum."

Operating Temperature
32 - 104 degrees F / 0 - 40 degrees C

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 01-27-2021 at 12:50 PM.
01-27-2021, 01:27 PM   #69
Pentaxian

My first thought was that the A1 would be an entry level model, based on the position of the A7 and A9 in the market. Sadly (for me) it is not the case. It should have been called the A11, but what do I know?
01-27-2021, 01:31 PM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Of course, the headlines and specs are inflated, that's the job of marketing folks. Fuji writes in bold letter that they GFX cameras are large format , actually it's 21% (diagonal) larger than full frame, so if you make a 60x90 print from a full frame image, you can make a 70x110 print from a GFX camera, increase in size is about the size of my hand, practically not so impressive as the marketing title may sound.
01-27-2021, 01:54 PM - 2 Likes   #71
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
To me the A1 seems very impressive. I have absolutely zero interest in a camera like that but to me it looks like features a sports photographer would love. As mentioned niche gear like this have been expensive for a long time. This doesn't seem out of line as you always pay a lot for the small improvements at the very top end. Playing down the achievement makes no sense to me and looks like lack of understanding or some strange brand rivalry. Sony's recent prime lenses seem exceptional as well so they are doing good stuff. Personally I will never buy Sony after their various cripple, rootkit ,anti-consumer behaviour going back decades.
01-28-2021, 03:05 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
From Sony's specifications:

"Ultra-fast readout from the 50.1-MP sensor allows continuous bursts at up to 30fps*

*"Hi+" continuous shooting mode, shutter speeds of 1/125 s. or higher. At shutter speeds of 1/250 s. or higher in AF-C mode, the maximum continuous frame rate will depend on the shooting mode and lens used."

"Continuous Drive Speed (approx. max.)
AUTO/Electronic Shutter: Continuous shooting: Hi+: 30fps, Hi: 20fps, Mid: 15fps, Lo: 5fps
Mechanical Shutter: Continuous shooting: Hi+: 10fps, Hi: 8fps, Mid: 6fps, Lo: 3fps"

"During uncompressed RAW shooting, 20 images are shot per second at maximum."

Operating Temperature
32 - 104 degrees F / 0 - 40 degrees C

- Craig
There's nothing wrong with the specs as far as I'm concerned. Why someone would need 30fps with a shutter speed of 1/100s? Also, compressed RAW was added for some reasons that I understand and accept:
- reduced size of files
- writing and transferring images faster
- increased continuous shooting time and/or buffer

If someone needs the uncompressed RAW files in specific situations where lots of post processing will be applied, he still gets 20fps of uncompressed RAW files which is plenty for fast action. I don't see this as a marketing scam because they were very transparent with the specs right from the launch event. It's impressive the processing power in a small body given that we're talking about 50mp high resolution files.
01-28-2021, 06:31 AM   #73
Pentaxian

There's nothing wrong with the specs as far as I'm concerned.
Well, according to Sony internet fans, the A1 is a Canon killer. Maybe Canon will run out of business
Still remains the question for each of us: should we shooting more quantities or lower quality images or less quantities or better quality images.
01-28-2021, 06:40 AM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Still remains the question for each of us: should we shooting more quantities or lower quality images or less quantities or better quality images.
Well, ideally you want more quantity of higher quality images. I'm certain that the A1 does that when compared to an A7ii or so, for example (let's disregard price). High frame rate gives you more options for THE shot during fast movement, no? I'd consider it a very nifty thing to have for certain types of photography, at least.

That said, I'm the very deliberate guy who might as well not have continuous shooting in his camera
01-28-2021, 06:41 AM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's nothing wrong with the specs as far as I'm concerned.
@Dan Rentea;

Dan, I tend to agree -- the specs are impressive. There's a lot of 'tech' packed into that small box.

What I find interesting is that the 'headlines' -- even at Sony's website -- announce '50 MP at 30 fps'. However, while these specs apply in certain shooting modes, the performance is tempered in other modes.

The frame rate of 30 fps is achievable only when using the electronic shutter. However, I understand that Sony has made significant gains in reducing the read-out speed of their sensors, so some of the traditional disadvantages of an electronic shutter have been largely mitigated or relaxed.

While looking at the specs in detail, I noted that the operating temperature is 0-40 degrees C. I wonder whether the camera would withstand colder temperatures. My K-3 II is rated to minus 10 C, and I've used it in temperatures as cold as minus 20 C. I don't think I've read any reports of the operability of these Sony cameras in sub-freezing temperatures or in winter in general. Furthermore, wearing gloves introduces certain challenges, as many of us in the higher latitudes have experienced, so ease-of-use is important.

- Craig