Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 204 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2021, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The A1 may be a great camera for video and sports, but it will almost certainly be inferior to the K-1 for landscape.
It can do 30fps of a stationary object, very well.The K-1 can do 4.5.

So the calendar shots only take a second!...So a Sony shooter making his own calendars can instantly recall that second,What a (compressed raw)feature!

01-31-2021, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #152
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote

Sony said it didn't...just like the A7Smk3.However,real world testing comes along.

Tony Southdrips first observations.

https://youtu.be/KvGnZTIpOVs

---------- Post added 02-01-21 at 09:55 AM ----------

Tony saw it too!
It took a pretty long time before it overheated, at 8k. Quite impressive really.
01-31-2021, 05:17 PM   #153
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Some pretty cool technology on display.
Until now with some real world testing.

---------- Post added 02-01-21 at 11:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It took a pretty long time before it overheated, at 8k.
The R5 is doing 3-4hours of 8K.At 60% of this Sony price.

U$ 2600 buys a rather nice RF 28-70 F2,which many owners are claiming to be the best zoom lens ever.
01-31-2021, 05:48 PM - 3 Likes   #154
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It can do 30fps of a stationary object, very well.The K-1 can do 4.5.

So the calendar shots only take a second!...So a Sony shooter making his own calendars can instantly recall that second,What a (compressed raw)feature!
LOL! And if the A1 shooter holds down the shutter button for a bit more than 12 seconds, they can make a 365-day calendar with a flipbook movie.

Is the A1 slogan: "The faster it sprays, the less you have the pray"?

01-31-2021, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #155
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
LOL! And if the A1 shooter holds down the shutter button for a bit more than 12 seconds,
Well Tony only got to 11.1 seconds, so he got almost a yearly calendar!
02-01-2021, 01:06 AM   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Whatever the weak points the camera has, they'll identify and complain a lot about them. Sort of like the CA on the D FA* 50mm.
And there's always the lazy solution: it's a DSLR, which itself is wrong
It's the price which small companies have to pay, unfortunately. I don't know if it's because Ricoh don't send cameras to reviewers, or they don't pay them or whatever. It's not that I disagree completely with their findings, it's just that they amplify the weak points usually more than they should.

In the meanwhile, I'm still waiting for some comment about the eyelash AF present in the first A1 samples.
I'm a bit mean here, the AF has to be fantastic (while my Pentax' works, but it's not great) - and I didn't even check if they were using some beta firmware.
It seems a little "front focus" and it shouldn't because I shoot a lot at wide apertures and I don't have this sort of problems (see below an example at 100% crop). It's noticeable as it seems on high resolution cameras (DSLRs and mirrorless) that amplify even the slightest error. The sample images are usable because there are plenty of details on the iris to work with in post after. On 5DsR for example I realized that I have to shoot very carefully in order to get the eye in perfect focus and that's why I don't work with high resolution cameras given that I use wide apertures when I shoot portraits. Focus and recompose at wide apertures with high resolution cameras it's less than ideal...

---------- Post added 02-01-21 at 08:12 AM ----------

Sony said it didn't...just like the A7Smk3.However,real world testing comes along.

Tony Southdrips first observations.
I don't look at his videos, but given that until 4th of February there's nothing better to be seen regarding A1, I took a look at his preview. It basically proves what I said, that R5 looks even better with the launch of A1. From what he said regarding the camera it seems that they rushed the launch a little and they will probably start to release quite a few updates on this camera. The same would have happened with R5, but the lockdown came and it gave Canon 3-4 months to fix the problems that A1 seems to have.

---------- Post added 02-01-21 at 08:23 AM ----------

U$ 2600 buys a rather nice RF 28-70 F2,which many owners are claiming to be the best zoom lens ever.
I don't own it, but I rent it quite a lot. If it wouldn't weight that much, I would have probably sold a few lenses and ended up with this lens and my 85mm lens. Optically it's simply superb!

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 02-01-2021 at 05:38 AM.
02-04-2021, 11:07 AM   #157
Veteran Member

I appreciate the Gerald Undone videos as they mix his experience and impressions with helpful and repeatable tests. He had a very positive review of the video capabilities of the A1, even though he stated that for his personal use he would prefer to have both the A7Siii and A7Riv.

02-04-2021, 09:20 PM   #158
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
I appreciate the Gerald Undone videos as they mix his experience and impressions with helpful and repeatable tests. He had a very positive review of the video capabilities of the A1, even though he stated that for his personal use he would prefer to have both the A7Siii and A7Riv.

https://youtu.be/eO1B9p_p7cE
He's probably the best reviewer on Youtube IMO. Dustin Abbott does a pretty detailed review.
02-04-2021, 09:51 PM - 2 Likes   #159
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
DPReview has some samples: Here is what 8K footage and 50MP stills from the Sony Alpha 1 look like: Digital Photography Review
People are joking about "eyelash AF"...
Yes, the subject was talked about in a thread here just the other day.

This is simply a fail by the Sony's automation. It's a throwaway for a professional, who I'm sure knows instead how to manually lay a focus point correctly on an iris and take the picture.
Attached Images

02-05-2021, 12:37 AM   #160
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote

https://youtu.be/eO1B9p_p7cE
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
He's probably the best reviewer on Youtube IMO. Dustin Abbott does a pretty detailed review.
Wonder why it took me so long to subscribe to his channel...that A1 sertainly does look like a beast!
wonder if copperplate DIY is worth it with R5, when you can get better usability with dummy battery, in this thing. And with 80 minutes with normal battery and card is astonishing. And this is with out firmware things and stuff Canon had to do with their R5. And still Canon is restricted with 30 minute limit. Where you can run this thing as long as you want(can, huge memory needed) with dummy battery and AC.

It still cost a lot. And as he put it, perhaps his combo would still be better. I still could see from him and that extra bit at the end that this is actually what he'd want more...

Interesting.
02-05-2021, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #161
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yes, the subject was talked about in a thread here just the other day.

This is simply a fail by the Sony's automation. It's a throwaway for a professional, who I'm sure knows instead how to manually lay a focus point correctly on an iris and take the picture.
I guess you wait for a firmware update (everyone releases beta cameras these days) or buy Focus Magic.
02-06-2021, 08:12 AM   #162
Veteran Member

Original Poster
02-06-2021, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #163
Forum Member

No fixed screen?? Well, that's a foolish decision from Sony.
02-06-2021, 04:54 PM   #164
Pentaxian

Jordans review of the A1

Chris is confined due to Covid,So JD fills the gap.He does a good job.(for a video guy)

02-06-2021, 05:35 PM   #165
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Chris is confined due to Covid,So JD fills the gap.He does a good job.(for a video guy)

https://youtu.be/DM2txqJf-To
They said in a previous video that if they got 300K subscribers by Valentines day (Feb 14th) they would make Jordan film an episode on a Pentax camera.