Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 204 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2021, 08:11 AM   #256
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Perhaps it make sense to trash traditional brands, and promote Sony, but I'm afraid I've seen a lot more memorable images from Canon and Nikon than from Sony cameras.
I'm not a Sony fan personally, I've owned camera's from all the brands and the Sony RX-100 was probably my least liked camera of all of them. I never got along with the weird menu's and the images require the most work in RAW as well as the default JPEGS color wasn't something I liked. By comparison I love the default look of a Nikon JPEG, great color by default.

That RX-100 to this day has made it so I have zero interest in any MILC Sony.

02-28-2021, 09:55 PM   #257
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Since when Tony Northrup presents excellent reasons in his reviews? I wonder why I'm talking about A1 with you since you say about A9 or D5 "meh" when comes to their af capabilities?
I'll say it again, Dan.

"Meh".

At the weekend I held the A1 (same size really as the A9) and the Sony 600mm f4 but couldn't take pictures with them, somebody else had already swooped on them, so I shot this instead with the A9 II and the 200-600mm G Master lens.

"Meh".

Absolutely could've shot almost everything on the day cheaper with my K-1 (that I did have in the bag but didn't dare take out at a Sony event).

What Beholder pointed out that shows A9 II as a failure?
See K3III Delayed... indefinitely - Page 18 - PentaxForums.com

It's there if you were paying attention, Dan. I don't think you're interested in that, though, are you?

People on this forum have learned not to listen to you because you don't listen to them. And never have in all the time we've known you.

Last edited by clackers; 02-28-2021 at 10:19 PM.
02-28-2021, 10:01 PM - 1 Like   #258
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
Most like Sony as a brand probably has a younger demographic who's more likely to watch youtube and generate views/money than the demographics for Nikon/Pentax/Olympus etc. Makes sense to trash the "old man" brands if the old man doesn't generate you any money.
Watch the Cameraville Guy for someone who chased the cash. He alienated Nikon, then Fuji, then Pentax in an attempt to grow a following.

He's left financially out of pocket, made enemies all over the place, and he's left pitching to what remains of his audience - Pentax traitors, I'm afraid.

Good luck making money to the sad little man, Lee, attempting to be a professional troll rather than a joyous photographer!
02-28-2021, 10:06 PM   #259
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Olympus haven't got out of the camera business,they are a minority partner in the new company.
They're out of it, Surfar, that's a token gesture, just like JIP using the Olympus name for an undisclosed length of time.

Your mate 'Sony Tony' just revealed the scale of the Olympus financial disaster.

Normally, you'd inherit the assets and liabilities.

The only way somebody else would even touch it has been revealed in Olympus' latest financials.

They took the debts on themselves, JIP didn't acquire them.

There's a more than $400 million writedown.

Last edited by clackers; 02-28-2021 at 10:16 PM.
02-28-2021, 11:19 PM - 1 Like   #260
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I'll say it again, Dan.

"Meh".

At the weekend I held the A1 (same size really as the A9) and the Sony 600mm f4 but couldn't take pictures with them, somebody else had already swooped on them, so I shot this instead with the A9 II and the 200-600mm G Master lens.

"Meh".

Absolutely could've shot almost everything on the day cheaper with my K-1 (that I did have in the bag but didn't dare take out at a Sony event).
After all this time you still can't understand the A1 or A9 target and you post a random image saying it could be taken with K1. Pro action photographers want speed and another thing that you always forget: consinstency. These 2 things have nothing to do with K1 and shooting one random action image when you feel like. Not to mention that the head of the person in your image is outside the af points reach of DSLRs...

I saw it and not only that thread regarding K3 III and I saw how interested suddenly some people became in eye af, a feature that a few weeks ago wasn't important to them because it was found in mirrorless instead of DSLRs. It is so funny to see how people change their mind in a matter of weeks. Why don't you go in that thread and tell people meh about K3 III af because if you can shoot anything when comes to action with K1 as you say when comes to Sony or Nikon flagship cameras, then why a K3 III is needed as long as K1 and KP can shoot any kind of action in your hands?! The same meh should be applied to any sport oriented camera, K3 III included. Or it's true only about the full frame sport flagships of other brands because you can't understand their target?! You want to be impartial? Go in K3 III thread and tell people why eye af isn't important, tell them why the new af isn't important because K1 or KP can get according to your way of thinking any shot that K3 III can take.

It's there if you were paying attention, Dan. I don't think you're interested in that, though, are you?
I am and I asked you to point out the comment no. ... where Beholder said A9 failed because I can't find absolutely not a single comment in this regard with any kind of proof. Aggressive pricing of all their cameras for getting into the sport market and gain market share isn't failure in my opinion. It's one of the reasons why Nikon is in the worse position ever...

People on this forum have learned not to listen to you because you don't listen to them. And never have in all the time we've known you.
I do listen everyone who have a rational perspective on things. It's hard to make a conversation with someone who wants K1 to "win" every single "battle", from sport photography to landscape. It's hard to have a conversation with someone who think of the D5 af tracking, which is one of the best today (or even A9) that is meh and then saying it can be done with any cheap camera. When you will accept that you never can get the same results shooting with K1 and D5 or A9 side by side, you may understand the target of A1. Until then...

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 03-01-2021 at 04:29 AM.
02-28-2021, 11:43 PM   #261
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I shot this instead
Tullermarine bathtub.
02-28-2021, 11:55 PM   #262
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regardless this is quite entertaining

03-01-2021, 02:02 AM - 1 Like   #263
Veteran Member

Tullermarine bathtub.
Yes, and as always it's just one image to make a point. If we put verdicts on cameras af performance based on singular images, then I have another 100 sets of singular images like the ones below as so called arguments for action photography, but it has nothing to do with consistency, among other things which differentiate sport flagship cameras like D5 or A1 from field or budget cameras that anyone can get some action with (below are images taken with 6D, EOS R and 5D Mark IV). Saying meh about D5 or A9 II af tracking performance it's like saying meh when comes to build quality of K1.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 03-01-2021 at 02:16 AM.
03-01-2021, 07:05 AM   #264
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
it's just one image to make a point.
Anyone,with any camera can capture action shots.

However, its the shots you don't get that some people just don't understand.

The new Pentax body is the best thing since sliced bread, when it gets baked BTW.It catches up a bit to the other brands and we should see some great action.

Saying meh about D5 or A9 II af tracking performance it's like saying meh when comes to build quality of K1.
Yes.

Meh to Astrotracer...Meh to pixel shift, as well!
03-01-2021, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #265
Veteran Member

Watch the Cameraville Guy for someone who chased the cash. He alienated Nikon, then Fuji, then Pentax in an attempt to grow a following.

He's left financially out of pocket, made enemies all over the place, and he's left pitching to what remains of his audience - Pentax traitors, I'm afraid.

Good luck making money to the sad little man, Lee, attempting to be a professional troll rather than a joyous photographer!
Isn’t this the theme with most of them though, drama and rivalry to get views. Reality is all of these cameras work fine for most people. Pentax only has one real annoying limitation in AF-C from my experience so far (and it’s fine for many). Yes you can make do with good technique as people have forever but it’s nice having AF-C that gets more keepers. Looks like that’s about to change with the K-3 iii which is fantastic. Hopefully that also follow’s into a K-1 iii in time and Pentax will have a really nice solid DSLR lineup into the future. Hopefully they can add the Tamron 150-600 G2 into the mix maybe under the Pentax badge as well. At least Pentax already went though the shrink process and seems to be in healthy shape for the new smaller ILC market.

I’m more impressed with what smartphones are doing in advancements then ILC cameras now. LIDAR autofocus in the dark, night mode etc. I’m continuously impressed with how good the iPhone 12 can take images in the dark with that tiny sensor. The 3D image capability with LIDAR is also fun to play around with.
03-01-2021, 08:39 AM - 3 Likes   #266
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Isn’t this the theme with most of them though, drama and rivalry to get views. Reality is all of these cameras work fine for most people. Pentax only has one real annoying limitation in AF-C from my experience so far (and it’s fine for many). Yes you can make do with good technique as people have forever but it’s nice having AF-C that gets more keepers. Looks like that’s about to change with the K-3 iii which is fantastic. Hopefully that also follow’s into a K-1 iii in time and Pentax will have a really nice solid DSLR lineup into the future. Hopefully they can add the Tamron 150-600 G2 into the mix maybe under the Pentax badge as well. At least Pentax already went though the shrink process and seems to be in healthy shape for the new smaller ILC market.

I’m more impressed with what smartphones are doing in advancements then ILC cameras now. LIDAR autofocus in the dark, night mode etc. I’m continuously impressed with how good the iPhone 12 can take images in the dark with that tiny sensor. The 3D image capability with LIDAR is also fun to play around with.
In my experience, as someone who doesn't get paid to get shots, one or two good images out of a burst are enough; even if the best-focused image is not the absolute best pose, if it's in the whereabouts I'm perfectly alright with the result. The K-1 gets more than that, therefore I'm happy with it. If I were to need consistent delivery of best-in-burst images because money depends on it, I'd look into something more advanced.

I know that wealthy amateurs will carry the bulk of sales of these cameras, but for the life of me that I cannot share the idea... it's really overkill for most.
03-01-2021, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #267
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
In my experience, as someone who doesn't get paid to get shots, one or two good images out of a burst are enough; even if the best-focused image is not the absolute best pose, if it's in the whereabouts I'm perfectly alright with the result. The K-1 gets more than that, therefore I'm happy with it. If I were to need consistent delivery of best-in-burst images because money depends on it, I'd look into something more advanced.

I know that wealthy amateurs will carry the bulk of sales of these cameras, but for the life of me that I cannot share the idea... it's really overkill for most.
Yes, flagships for amateurs are overkill. It's the main reason I don't own one. I try to rent or borrow a flagship or an exotic tele lens only when I know I will have to drive 300km just to get an image of a specific bird and given the amount of time and effort I put in such a journey, I want to make sure it worth it.

---------- Post added 03-01-21 at 04:09 PM ----------

To be honest, so do I. My wife has the latest Samsung mobile phone and for a picture I edited for her I had to look at the exif to see if it was taken with a phone or a full frame. It was resized at 2048px on the long edge so it was difficult to see differences. Not to mention how great the video is. Impressive how far smartphones went in just a few years.

---------- Post added 03-01-21 at 04:10 PM ----------

Anyone,with any camera can capture action shots.

However, its the shots you don't get that some people just don't understand.
Exactly!
03-01-2021, 03:49 PM   #268
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Isn’t this the theme with most of them though, drama and rivalry to get views. Reality is all of these cameras work fine for most people. Pentax only has one real annoying limitation in AF-C from my experience so far (and it’s fine for many).
I have no complaint with Pentax AF-C. I actually understand it.

See my picture above taken with the A9 II. I would've shot the same pictures with my K-1, just less of them, because the A9 supports a 'spray and pray' approach with its high frame rate.

For all their problems, phones suit most people, because most people just take snapshots.

And a phone packs a lot more CPU processing power than any camera, so the computational stuff like HDR or the ghastly fake bokeh of portrait mode is easy to do.

Last edited by clackers; 03-01-2021 at 04:20 PM.
03-01-2021, 04:00 PM   #269
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, and as always it's just one image to make a point.
Yes, there's no singing and dancing about the Sony A9 II or the A1, I've held them both, and shot with the former.

What did you expect?

You can hype up this or that, as you are want to do (your hysterical defence of stock photography as a worthwhile career change for instance), but that doesn't change things. I can tell you I would've shot the same pictures with my K-1.

My real world experience got frustrated that the focus point didn't detect the face in so many shots with that kind of angle and went for the surfboard or the tip of the hand instead, that's not the error a real photographer makes when selecting focus points. And the Sony presenters revealed that for surf photography for instance, it's often the waves that get selected. As I burnt through my SD cards, one Sony presenter virtually admitted it was a gimmick, reducing the frame rate to Medium and acknowledging that he simply took little bursts. But I bet you love gimmicks, like the 8k video in the Canon R5, admitted by Canon to be a gimmick. It overheats.

You may be swooning at every paid for review by Sony, Dan, but not me. And neither are the other members in this forum, who watched you leave Pentax for ... of all things ... a Canon 6D?

Your friends the Northrups have done a video on turning *off* Canon, Nikon and Sony 'eye focus' because of the mistakes those cameras make.

What is their camera trying to do here, Dan? And why?
Attached Images

Last edited by clackers; 03-01-2021 at 04:12 PM.
03-01-2021, 04:06 PM   #270
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Tullermarine bathtub.
Another one for you, Surfar. This is what $6500 of camera gets you.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-9M2  Photo 

Last edited by clackers; 03-01-2021 at 04:18 PM.