03-01-2021, 05:12 PM   #271
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
This is what $6500 of camera gets you.
A beginner in a bathtub!

---------- Post added 03-02-21 at 11:16 AM ----------

Your friends the Northrups have done a video on turning *off* Canon, Nikon and Sony 'eye focus' because of the mistakes those cameras make.
And they clikbaited you too!

03-01-2021, 06:12 PM   #272
Pentaxian

Kai is always good for a laugh.

---------- Post added 03-02-21 at 12:15 PM ----------

Jason shoots Sony$ of all different types.So he can discern and take advantage of some unique features.

03-01-2021, 11:27 PM - 1 Like   #273
Veteran Member

Yes, there's no singing and dancing about the Sony A9 II or the A1, I've held them both, and shot with the former.

What did you expect?

You can hype up this or that, as you are want to do (your hysterical defence of stock photography as a worthwhile career change for instance), but that doesn't change things. I can tell you I would've shot the same pictures with my K-1.

My real world experience got frustrated that the focus point didn't detect the face in so many shots with that kind of angle and went for the surfboard or the tip of the hand instead, that's not the error a real photographer makes when selecting focus points. And the Sony presenters revealed that for surf photography for instance, it's often the waves that get selected. As I burnt through my SD cards, one Sony presenter virtually admitted it was a gimmick, reducing the frame rate to Medium and acknowledging that he simply took little bursts. But I bet you love gimmicks, like the 8k video in the Canon R5, admitted by Canon to be a gimmick. It overheats.

You may be swooning at every paid for review by Sony, Dan, but not me. And neither are the other members in this forum, who watched you leave Pentax for ... of all things ... a Canon 6D?

Your friends the Northrups have done a video on turning *off* Canon, Nikon and Sony 'eye focus' because of the mistakes those cameras make.

What is their camera trying to do here, Dan? And why?
Don't go to stock photography because you have absolutely no clue of what you're talking about. As long as I can live in Romania from stock photography working a few hours/week, you can't tell me I can't make a career out of it. My income increased by 12% this year with only 30 images added in 2021. So, again, you're talking with someone who's actually making money from stock and who can live from stock. When you will live from shooting sport with K1, then we can have a proper conversation about stock or sport photography.

As for me switching for 6D, I said more than once that the Pentax system didn't provided me what I wanted at the time when I had K-3 II: no reliable flash system, no modern lenses, no full frame, no third party support, etc.. And 6D provided all I wanted at that time due to the huge system behind it with all the third party support included. And yes, 6D gave me better images than K3 II, especially at high ISO and much reliable af in challenging conditions. Part of the reasons of better images were the L lenses. Put a Canon 35mm f1.4L on a 6D and shoot against Pentax K-3 II with any lens you want in the same focal range at events and we can have a proper discussion about image quality and af. Even the basic 6D has a more configurable af than K-3 II... Then I upgraded to 5D Mark IV and when I tested K1 side by side, the Canon af blew away K1 in terms of speed and consistency. I liked the fact that af-s of K1 was accurate. That was a plus compared with K-3 II. And the most important factor when comes to Canon vs. Pentax is that Canon allows me to choose while with Pentax I only have K1 which you consistently want to make it a winner in each and every aspect of photography, from sport to landscapes. K1 it's a landscape oriented camera where it is among the best due to its features, nothing less, nothing more. For me, less work to get the job done it's important, especially at paid shooting so if I have options in the market which help me get the job faster and easier, I go for it. That's why I changed from 6D to 5D Mark IV and then I went for EOS R. If I need better, there are options available while with Pentax I don't have any. It's a reality which seems to affect you very very much as long as you keep insisting you can have the same results with K1 shooting side by side with D5 or A1/A9. Surfar said it very well in 3 words...

So again, you can never get the same results with K1 shooting side by side with a sport oriented camera like A1. That's a fact. Posting a random image has nothing to do with day by day reality. You can get a lucky shot from time to time, but A1 or D5 weren't build for lucky shots... And as Surfar said, it's the shot you can't get with a field camera that counts for pro sport photographers.

So, keep lying yourself as much as you want, but K1 it's so much far away in terms of performance for sport or wildlife that it's not worth to talk about it... It's even obvious when you see the excitement of pentaxians regarding the K-3 III af. When a guy like this has lots of in focus images with a much smaller and much faster subject than the guy on the board you posted and with water splash on lots of his images (https://www.marksmithgallery.com/Birds/Water-Birds/Osprey-Image-Gallery/ ), I have a strong feeling that you didn't knew how to set the D5 af and I tend to believe that neither the A9 af for action... Even Jared Polin of which I'm not a big fan shows how the af of A9 II stick with the subject in a far more challenging situation than the example you gave
and you compare K1 with sports cameras by posting a random image. This shows how far you are when comes to understanding A1 target...

As for 8k, have you ever tried to edit a 30 minutes 8k video from Canon or Sony? I had a chance to be in a room with a videographer editing an 8k video. It isn't fun even with a top computer... But, for short commercial clips of 4-8 minutes it's a different story. For stock it's the best tool at the price you pay for R5 because the videos uploaded to stock should be between 8 and 60 seconds. But, since you know nothing about stock, as usual you have no idea why people pay for 8k...

As for eye af, perfect or not, when fails you have options available at a press of a button. That's why options are good and it's important to have them. It's a little odd how big is the af square in the Northrup video even when the focus is on the eye level but I don't get into such details as long as you most certainly know nothing about Canon eye af. Yet, why not? Maybe you will learn something... Northrup used the one shot af selected in order to make people understand what they are trying to explain. Nothing wrong with that, given that it is meant as an educational video, but it's not exactly how af square will look like when eye af is activated in servo mode (af-c in Pentax).

Let me educate you a little in this regard. From Canon manual:
1. for stationary subjects the Af point is displayed in green when the subject is in focus (as you can see in Northrup video, the camera was already focused on the background and no matter how she moves, the af won't track her)
2. for moving subjects, the af point is displayed in blue and tracks subject movement

See how easily you can be fooled? It took Northrup 10 seconds to do that.

As for surf images, this is what a sport oriented camera will get you and it will provide consistency over and over again instead of a random lucky shot with which you try to convince people that you can take the same images as with a sport camera. By the way, a gimmicks 8k video can offer such short videos at 3900$... And there are tons of pros willing to pay the money for such feature.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 03-02-2021 at 05:36 AM.
03-02-2021, 03:02 AM   #274
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
3900$... And there are tons of pros willing to pay the money for such feature.
And even more amateurs!...Canon provided a highly competent body at a fair price for the capability.A1 is too much.

I think Sony presents some new stuff thats quite good but the price is Overs....CaNik will come with their topDoggies sooner or later and these will be more than competitive.

---------- Post added 03-02-21 at 09:06 PM ----------

6D,
A friend who is a veteran of 1500 weddings used a 5d mk1 for 13 years.When Canon said it was beyond repairing she bought a 6d,even though the Mk2 was available.The tool that does the job is the one that makes the $$$.

03-02-2021, 04:09 AM   #275
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
And even more amateurs!...Canon provided a highly competent body at a fair price for the capability.A1 is too much.

I think Sony presents some new stuff thats quite good but the price is Overs....CaNik will come with their topDoggies sooner or later and these will be more than competitive.
As I wrote above because Clackers has a fond for the Northrups, anyone can make a point these days: Clackers with a random action image, Northrup with af-s on the eye instead of Ai servo... And people ask me why I don't look at cancan videos...

As I wrote in my previous comment, the eye af failure in Northrup video isn't a failure at all. It takes 10 seconds for a Canon or even a Sony mirrorless shooter to see what's wrong in the Northrup example. It doesn't bother me because the main objective of the video was to show another option to focus fast when eye af fails, but Clackers and so many others look at the video and suddenly they have the much needed "proof" to start a debate regarding how bad eye af is.

From Canon manual, so that Clackers can learn something.

1. for stationary subjects the Af point is displayed in green when the subject is in focus (as you can see in Northrup video, the camera was already focused on the background and no matter how she moves, the af won't track her)
2. for moving subjects, the af point is displayed in blue and tracks subject movement

By blue, it means like this (starting from min. 1:23)

Last edited by gatorguy; 03-02-2021 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Unhelpful personally directed comment
03-02-2021, 06:13 AM   #276
Pentaxian

a fond for the Northrups,
They are in the INFOtainment industry,they clickbait lots of people.I dont mind them but they do make errors.

Due to their popularity they get early access to the new gear,so its kinda acceptable to look at some of their content.

I'll look forward to the R1 which i expect to be priced at around what the A1 is.I'll expect that it will be better value but lets wait and see.

---------- Post added 03-03-21 at 12:50 AM ----------

As for surf images,
The 2 posted in this thread barely qualify.It looks to me that they were shot in the beginners session at that manmade wave park.Hence the "Tullamarine bathtub"reference.Tullamarine is the location in Melbourne(.The best thing about Melbourne is leaving!).

The Canon surfing YT is at Chopes(Teahupo'o)in Tahiti,its a tame day.Some days are 2 storeys high and very intense.People die there attempting to ride it.
03-02-2021, 07:01 AM - 10 Likes   #277
Loyal Site Supporter

Even tho this thread is in the non-Pentax subforum it doesn't excuse the behavior of a very few particular individuals who have made it their mission to get under the skin of each other. Enough please.

Discussion of the Sony A1 is absolutely welcome. It's an intriguing camera with advancements in several photography and video features and functions. Some Pentax users will of course be interested and enjoy reading about it, so this back and forth between three of you trying to one-up one another needs to stop. Each of you are presumably good photographers comfortable and intimately familiar with the gear you use and extracting the best from it. Leave it at that.

Last edited by gatorguy; 03-02-2021 at 05:05 PM.
03-02-2021, 10:23 AM   #278
Veteran Member

I just want to know who’s going to be the first to use the smartphone computational techniques in one of these flagship cameras. Sony had the fancy new smartphone that pairs with this A1 to enable real time rapid transfer as you shoot over 5G. Why not just harness that CPU and use similar smart HDR techniques on the fly. I’d like to see them be tunable to get the look you want set from the start.

I want to see what a full frame can do with something like night mode processing. Being this Sony has one of the fastest pipelines for data something like it would be a good start. Maybe it could AI tag the subjects on the go as well. Combine that with facial recognition or jersey number recognition and you could sort images by player extremely fast. All time savers in such a competitive field.
03-02-2021, 11:57 AM   #279
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kai is always good for a laugh.

https://youtu.be/KCl5MlvQ8kY

---------- Post added 03-02-21 at 12:15 PM ----------

Jason shoots Sony$ of all different types.So he can discern and take advantage of some unique features.

https://youtu.be/33hRJqI8zHk

Talk about going out with a flash! It still is pretty crazy. I believe it is just going to get more crazy than that flash show, should have some laser beams there too and some nice proper techno I'll be there for sure! Never the less, it is what this system can offer, so why not I quess.
03-02-2021, 12:47 PM   #280
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
so why not I quess.
Certainly will be a nice feature to have in some situations.
03-02-2021, 02:37 PM   #281
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Certainly will be a nice feature to have in some situations.
This will add cool factor to the max and more. This could be also quite far off and giving to you certain type of reputation too. But it will turn heads. And this could be one of features differenting you from ‘competition’ as long as you create more than just a light show and attract firedepartmet and cause epileptic symptoms. You know...stellar picture or that stop motion movie he was talking about(which is not accurate but we get the point).

Interesting.
03-02-2021, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #282
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Even tho this thread is in the non-Pentax subforum it doesn't excuse the behavior of a very few particular individuals who have made it their mission to get under the skin of each other. Enough please.

Discussion of the Sony A1 is absolutely welcome. It's an intriguing camera with advancements in several photography and video features and functions. Some Pentax users will of course be interested and enjoy reading about it, so this back and forth between three of you trying to one-up one another needs to stop. You're all three presumably good photographers comfortable and intimately familiar with the gear you use and extracting the best from it. Leave it at that.
Thank you. These tit-for-tat arguments are not helpful. Take it to DMs if you want to go after each other.

For the purposes of the discussion, we can examine the stated specs, applications, reviews, and experiences of those who have tested or use them. I simply don’t understand the breathless defenses of a particular brand and model abstracted from use cases. If you don’t like it or don’t find it helpful for your photography, no one is forcing you to buy or trying to convert you. If you see a camera that may make your job or hobby easier or more enjoyable, buy it and tell us about it. That’s why we’re here, right? For me, I find the A1 to contain enormously important improvements and can’t wait for them to trickle down the product line to the basic A7 where I am more likely than not to buy to replace my A7iii.
03-05-2021, 06:45 PM   #283
Veteran Member

Original Poster
05-14-2021, 12:09 AM   #284
Pentaxian

Viewfinder problem with the Sony alpha 1

Seems like a funny hardware problem on the Sony A1 which has been going on for two months now and people are still waiting for product recalls:

QuoteQuote:
My excitement faded as with the two different times I went out with it, the evf failed to turn on when brought to my eye and all I saw was blackness....the lcd was on, but, no matter how close I pushed my eye to the eyecup, it would NOT turn on unless I turned the camera off, then on, or popped out the battery to wake it up, then it would come on. BOTH times this happened.
QuoteQuote:
the lcd doesn't switch to the viewfinder and i can't manually force it.
QuoteQuote:
When I have the problem I can't force the image to be displayed on the viewfinder. When you put viewfinder only in the menu and when your eye is not close the viewfinder turns black, probably to save battery. So there is no turnaround that I know.
QuoteQuote:
I put 2 small strips of black electric tape
on each side of the proximity sensor (leaving
only the center free) to change the sensitivity.
It helps and reduces the issue but I couldn't get rid of the
problem and it still happens from time to time.
It is annoying not to be able to 100% rely on the
viewfinder.
QuoteQuote:
I don't think it reflects well on a camera marketed as Professional level equipment to have to resort to taping things over to have it operate as it is designed. Sony should do better than that.
Viewfinder problem with the Sony alpha 1: Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

A9 II EVF eye sensor glitch - FM Forums

Tiny screen replacements for viewfinders are overrated! Pros hold the camera like a smartphone and use the backscreen.
Needing to fix a 7200 EUR camera with gaffer tape? Hm. Ok, you can avoid it by not shooting when the sun is out.
07-24-2021, 11:46 PM   #285
Pentaxian

Canon R3 and Nikon Z9 coming this fall, will leave Sony A1 in the dust.