Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2021, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Nikon's Sony A1 beater: 8K, 45MP, coming in spring / summer

Nikon's Sony A1 beater: 8K, 45MP, coming in spring / summer (report) | Digital Camera World

01-30-2021, 03:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
edit
01-31-2021, 06:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Nikon's Sony A1 beater: 8K, 45MP, coming in spring / summer
The big saviour for Nikon?in the year of 8K.

Sharp may get their 8K out too?...Then there's Fuji with the XT5 or XH2 that should be announced by 4th quarter.
02-01-2021, 04:03 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This will be a nice camera, but I don't know that it will move many units as it will be priced in the 5000 to 6000 range. Nikon needs to start selling more cameras in the lower tiers and that will happen if/when the world economy starts to recover and not before.

02-01-2021, 04:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
This will be a nice camera, but I don't know that it will move many units as it will be priced in the 5000 to 6000 range. Nikon needs to start selling more cameras in the lower tiers and that will happen if/when the world economy starts to recover and not before.
They are working to justify the higher prices, with slightly higher specifications and mostly video. Video is where, I think, not so many people are interested, despite what the marketing media are pushing (make us believe that 4K or 8K video is a must have). Personally, I record 2K video rarely, my phone does 4K video, and if I wanted to record high quality 4K video I'd certainly get an apsc or m4/3 + 1 lens for that. A lot of photographers haven't got much interest in video, especially not 8K. I think video is a field fairly different from photography: dedicated graphic processing computer, huge data storage requirements, and the video specific technical knowledge and recording skills. Trying to sell video in the photography market is little off target, IMO. Most photographers will get a camera with 4K or 8K and never use it.
02-01-2021, 05:23 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

So many cameras.... so little need.
02-01-2021, 05:24 AM - 4 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
They are working to justify the higher prices, with slightly higher specifications and mostly video. Video is where, I think, not so many people are interested, despite what the marketing media are pushing (make us believe that 4K or 8K video is a must have). Personally, I record 2K video rarely, my phone does 4K video, and if I wanted to record high quality 4K video I'd certainly get an apsc or m4/3 + 1 lens for that. A lot of photographers haven't got much interest in video, especially not 8K. I think video is a field fairly different from photography: dedicated graphic processing computer, huge data storage requirements, and the video specific technical knowledge and recording skills. Trying to sell video in the photography market is little off target, IMO. Most photographers will get a camera with 4K or 8K and never use it.
I'm just tired of people saying that 'x' camera is a game changer because it has super high frame rates, higher end video, and fast electronic shutter operation. I don't care that there are cameras that do those things and eventually those sorts of things will trickle down to lower end cameras I can afford.

Honestly, I don't need those sorts of improvements and I don't think many others will either.

02-01-2021, 09:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I'm just tired of people saying that 'x' camera is a game changer because it has super high frame rates, higher end video, and fast electronic shutter operation.
It's ironic, how said "game changer" is playing the exact same game as the previous ones...

I have little doubt that both Canon and Nikon will keep up; and according to some (**cough** Tony N **cough**) it's the A1 which is catching up with existing Canons, in some key areas.
02-01-2021, 10:40 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
the A1 which is catching up with existing Canons, in some key areas.
Yes,its 20fps Raw matched Canon.But no Raw 8K from Sony,not even externally via HDMI.Only comes with CF A cards.

The major feature they outdid Canon on, is the Price!...@ 60% higher.
02-01-2021, 11:05 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm just tired of people saying that 'x' camera is a game changer because it has super high frame rates, higher end video, and fast electronic shutter operation. I don't care that there are cameras that do those things and eventually those sorts of things will trickle down to lower end cameras I can afford.

Honestly, I don't need those sorts of improvements and I don't think many others will either.
Those kinds of comments are only made by people arrogant enough to think they define what the game is. Yet they play game most of us don't follow, care about or pay much attention to. I only look at camera features when looking for a new camera. That's turning out to be once every five years or so, and my current camera may last 10 or more. These are camera I can use until they die. (K-1 and K-3). Threads like this are marketers dangling a fishing line. If someone bites they've done tier job. If that same someone doesn't improve their photography with their new purchase, that is not their business. every camera is so good these days it will make folks happy. Marketers have to combat that, by composing materials that make you think you need more. That's why they make the big bucks.

Their work definitely makes them money. Whether or not it does anything for us is another question.
02-01-2021, 02:59 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes,its 20fps Raw matched Canon.But no Raw 8K from Sony,not even externally via HDMI.Only comes with CF A cards.

The major feature they outdid Canon on, is the Price!...@ 60% higher.
Nice that you are contibuting...about 8 K ... that was a triumph for Canon from the beginning? How exactly is Canon cooling for their sensor? Well we will have to wait and see what this new Sony will be after FW updates.

And

Differences might be small at the end of the day.

And

Still. It is pissing contest with Numbers. But why to get upset with it?
As far as I’m seeing it this is 3 biggest taking no prisoners. Great that they made it. Now that we see where tech is heading at, it is interesting too.

Last edited by repaap; 02-01-2021 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Wrong number..
02-03-2021, 07:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian

SO,how bad is the OVERHEATING?

Pretty bad if you can't even touch the camera to use it!

At 4.20 there's a feature that Sony$ marketing has,,,err...kinda overlooked.

02-04-2021, 12:20 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Lol! You have better English than me. I just understood that he said that warning being there incase of lawsuit from nimble fingers out there.

Also what is remarkable is that this guy said his R5 was in service! And then he babbled something about camera heating up to 120-130 Fahrenheit and cooling downs is hard on the components.

Reading from between the lines. If there is not cooling system inside, it is bad(this is actually also what he said) for these hybrid cameras that shoot 4 or 8 K. I thing I talked before about marketing with numbers...you have 8 But using it frequently might cause your camera to go to service more. Hope that you did not go over time limits maker did say in manual. You might pay that service your self... it is not that long and these are falling down already.

That said A1 does have cooling system.

And I presume that in next canon there will be one too.
02-04-2021, 02:14 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
And I presume that in next canon there will be one too.

Its anticipated in the "rumoured" R1.

For the R5 there are many work arounds, some are in the R5 thread....Most recently, Ive seen a DIY site showing how they replaced a steel plate( part )of the R5 with a copper plate.Thus enabling 3-4 hours of 8K recording.

---------- Post added 02-04-21 at 08:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Lol! You have better English than me.

Your Finnish is far better than mine.I do know one word though...Helsinki!
02-04-2021, 02:26 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Its anticipated in the "rumoured" R1.

For the R5 there are many work arounds, some are in the R5 thread....Most recently, Ive seen a DIY site showing how they replaced a steel plate( part )of the R5 with a copper plate.Thus enabling 3-4 hours of 8K recording.
You can kiss the guarantee good bye. And many other things for DIY and for 4.2.0 8K this sounds like expensive hobby. And perhaps it will work for a while. But what about 6 months later? That camera has not been made for it. Anyway. It does make movement in YouTube and that is what matters...I’d get A1 instead. Or wait for a year to get tech updated. Or BM 12 K video camera to stop fooling around at ‘decent 8K with ‘shaky’ DIY mods after one or 2 R5 or even one A1 it sounds like a bargain...