Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 84 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2021, 10:15 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Beginning to make the switch... to Canon R6

This really was/has been a really hard decision for me to make. I love my Pentax gear so so so much!!! From the k1000 (my first camera I had at age 13), to my p30 and ZX-7 in High School + College... to move on to the K-5, K-1, K-3 (I know, I got this after getting the K-1 because I wanted a 2nd body and got an amazing deal) in my adulthood. A Pentax really has always been a part of my life, and experiences.

I also really love my lens line-up, and about 2 years ago or so felt like it was finally complete!:
Sigma EX DG 17-35 2.8-4, Sigma 35 1.4 Art, Tamron 90 2.8 macro, DFA 24-105 kit, DFA 24-70 2.8, Sigma 70-200 HSM II, Irix 135 2.8 Macro, Lensbaby Optic 12mm Fisheye + 50mm

Normally I like to shoot events for my school, and take portraits of my students (and for media use at my education program)... normally with a K-3 + 70-200 and K-1 + 24-70 on double-hoslter... and it can definitely work (for reference: Basketball -
, Football -
). I think the 36MP is the sweet spot in terms of resolution, and the dynamic range gives a level of flexibility to a moment. In moments where subjects had moments of static, you could truly create amazing moments. However, you were always at the whim of the cameras AF which really hurt in some really important ways. The slow 4 FPS (and even 7 fps) really made it difficult to anticipate what exact moment you were going to capture the shot, and the extreme shallow buffer made shooting RAW practically impossible (the K-3 was a little different). The only real way to control things was to switch to single-point, which due to shooting at 2.8 (only while in-doors) made cropping blurry when AF was not quite where you wanted it. I don't do a lot of it at events, but sometimes its nice to innersperce video clips into highlights. Pentax is easily the most clunky.

I had hopes that some day that Pentax would come out with something that would make me believe that they would address the need for AF/Buffer progression (never really thought video would ever be a priority, which I was fine with). However, after the K-3iii specs, and then the 'possible' price of an APS-C camera (with delay). If this cycle of Tech follows the K-3/K-1/KP/K-70 line, then Pentax simply I feel I have to move on.

So... I decided to move on to the Canon R6. I've only had it for a brief period of time, but the capabilities of this cameras feels like jumping into time portal... and moving decades in advanced. From the AF (the eye-AF is truly game-changing), to the crazy FPS + Buffer (and how fast it clears), to the amazing touch interface (It works with pretty much everything! ex: pinch to zoom. Using the back screen like a joystick to move the AF point while still looking through the viewfinder is a change in interface that might be difficult not to have on other cameras). There's also something nice about shooting silent (you can make it so that you don't even know it took a picture). The video features, shooting 4k-60 and AF in video... to even the menus. The RF lenses have these control-rings that allows a 4th way to change a plethora of features. The customizability is also limitless. The IBIS (AF and video capabilities) is the reason that I went all the way up to this specific model. It claims 8-stops, and I'm not sure if that's exactly what I'm getting... but working with the lens IS, and it feels really close to that. The low-light capabilities really are something too! I'm not really sure what I would do to improve this camera. It has been great to use!! There's only really 1 thing that is a bit disjarring. I only have the Kit 24-105 4 -7.1 lens atm, and hoping to add the 50 1.8, and converting the Sigma 35 1.4 to Canon EF.

If there's anything that I wished the 20MP R6 had, was more MP. As I said, I feel that 36MP is the sweet spot... so I actually like having both systems, at least for now. Pentax K-1 for slow paced moments (landscapes/astro/Macro) or places where I think the elements might put my camera in danger (though the R6 feels high quality, there is no comparison to rugged peace-of-mind feeling I get from Pentax gear). Maybe its just sentiment... but I do like the idea of always having a Pentax somewhere! I also just really love this forum!! (truly the amount I've learned from this forum, just about photography. I used to joke with people that even if I didn't have a Pentax, I would just act like it to be apart of the forum) Does anyone know if there is a forum like this for other companies?? But I do think I'll eventually move my lens lineup over to Canon as more affordable 3rd party options become available. For now, I'll use the Canon R6 for video, fast-paced, portraits, etc. This R6 just very much feels like the future!!

Last edited by SharkyCA; 02-02-2021 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Sales reference contrary to forum rules!
02-02-2021, 10:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Similar story

I have to confess I followed a similar path but ended up with Sony alpha 7r4 and a bunch of lenses. I am keeping almost all my Pentax gear because I like it a lot but will use the Sony for any critical work.
02-02-2021, 11:26 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I was heavily considering Sony! My first feeling was to move to Nikon (as I once believed that Nikon was the company I would have chosen, if I had to do it all over again... I really liked their d500/750/850). Right now the Z6 can be had at keh for $1,100 and I think that's probably the best value proposition on the used market... especially when you think about how similar it is to the Z6ii. (for the price of one R6, you can buy 2 Z6s, or get some pretty high-end lenses) But after the mark2s were so incremental, and the news of how much they are cutting back on their R+D... while more advanced than Pentax, I feel like I've heard this story before.

I did almost choose Sony. I really like all of their features (I seriously don't think they're going to just let Canon take the lead!), and they already have the lens lineup and 3rd party support. I really like their 3-wheel interface (the fact that their wheel spins... and can also be used like a d-pad is pretty cool... or at least I think it can? on my a6000 anyways, before I gave that away to brother's wife)! However, I recently gave away my Panasonic G85 setup to a student, so I wanted something I could use for video... so I liked the flip-out screen of Canon. I know that the upcoming a7iv is supposed to have a flip-out screen + 30MP... but what really sold it, was how each one felt in the hand. Ergonomics is truly what made the Pentax experience! I've never had a camera that made me want to take that next picture (and have it feel that way with every camera, except 2: K-01 + KP). When I held the Sony, it reminded me of the same weird feeling I got when I held the Panasonic (and kind of with the KP, I got for my sister who loves it!)... and that's its small size or maybe it was just where the buttons were. It just felt weird; mind you it was an a7iii they let me use. And then the fact that Canon continues to be top-5 in patent register for the past 35-years made me feel like they're going to keep innovating into, and eventually get the lens support. I just had to get over the fact that 20MP would be enough. Not having something to shoot really (no events yet) makes me hoping to find something to see if I find a limitation during cropping. At the moment, it isn't doing anything to limit my Portrait and street uses. Haven't tried Macro/Landscape at all.
02-02-2021, 11:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by landofcourtness Quote
It claims 8-stops, and I'm not sure if that's exactly what I'm getting.
You aren't getting it with the lens you have.The high end gla$$ gives 8.You can google RF lens stabilisation and you will find which lens provides what level.

---------- Post added 02-03-21 at 05:55 PM ----------

I only have the Kit 24-105 4 -7.1 lens atm,
Its good enough to start, excellent focal range.

The Nifty 50,has got quite good reviews.

EF glass is cheap used,L series is good.Sigma/Tamron do some good stuff.

Bargains...L 70-300f4-5.6...Tamron SERIES 1 70-200 F2.8...Tamron 35-150 f2.8-4(many have sold their RF 24-105 L f4 due to this lens)

On the long end both Sigma 150-600s and Tamron Series 2 150-600.

Cheapish but good RF primes...35f1.8 and 85 f2

I have used the R6 briefly, felt nice.

02-03-2021, 01:24 AM - 7 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never really see the point of these types of threads.
02-03-2021, 01:37 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

To summarize, Pentax didn't had enough performance, and now that they're addressing that it's still not good because someone said it might cost that much, and the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.
02-03-2021, 01:46 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
I like to drive my Rolls Royce to the ballet, but when I'm surveying my estate and working my Land Rover hard, I'm grateful I don't just own a Rolls

02-03-2021, 01:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

At the moment, it isn't doing anything to limit my Portrait and street uses. Haven't tried Macro/Landscape at all.
The rf 35f1.8 is a 1:2 macro and a handy srreet lens.First lens i got in the system.

Last edited by surfar; 02-03-2021 at 02:16 AM.
02-03-2021, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It’s not that bad of a decision. The R6 is a hell of a camera. Praised af and ISO capabilities in a well constructed body. Let’s leave it there. Talking about lenses lineup or mirror/-less is not the point. It’s a personal choice that is well supported imho. If I would argue with any of these, it would have been MP, as I strongly believe that anyone would get enough resolution over 20Mp. Except , of course, large printing jobs.
Anyway I hope you enjoy your new baby. Maybe you could share some photos and an in-depth personal review in the near future.
02-03-2021, 06:08 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Yesterday I saw a video of a quy who bought a Pentax K1 , coming from a 5DIV and he was very happy with the Pentax. He's doing landscape & architecture photography and he said that since he has the K1 he isn't using his 5DIV anymore. Some other guy reviewed a Canon R5 comparing it to his 5DSr, he complained about poor battery life, dust on sensor and UI some non sense on the R5 UI that was a no brainer on his 5DSr. There are pluses and minuses, depending on what you do YMMV.
02-03-2021, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This type of thread doesn’t bother me. It is useful to hear about the experiences of those who were once avid users of Pentax - and now shoot it plus another brand, perhaps even eventually leaving Pentax. These types of personal accounts that don’t bash Pentax, but celebrate it while still telling a story of leaving at least partially are different than the trolling bashing seen in some other posts. In a similar vein when we get stories of those switching to Pentax it informs us about practical brand experiences.

I have a personal reason to avoid Canon, so this path is closed to me, but it is interesting to hear about. Reading some off site reviews one thing that struck me as very much in keeping with Pentax philosophy is the comments that it is a photographer’s camera. Well thought out controls, good ergonomics, easy to customize but ready to perform out of the box. The few knocks that were consistently leveled were 1) video; recording time limitations due to overheating (which are reduced even more by stills shooting), and jello image issues due to rolling shutter concerns, and 2) the inability to disable noise reduction applied to raws even at low iso. Given most of us Pentax users aren’t big video users and many have embraced the KP and K1mk ii with their accelerator chips, these knocks probably aren’t fatal to someone coming from Pentax.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 02-03-2021 at 06:41 AM.
02-03-2021, 06:47 AM   #12
Pentaxian

People come, people go, it's a revolving door. I read the original post. It's irrelevant to me. I have no opportunity or interest to shoot what he's buying his new system for. So what gear he uses simply isn't of interest. We exist in two separate niches and would never cross paths in the real world. I wouldn't expect our choices of camera to cross paths either. Only on the forum would your paths ever collide, and no where will our choices be the same.

Generalizations like "This R6 just very much feels like the future!!" I'd respond "Your future not mine."

I feel like I'm across the room from the speaker thinking "Is he talking to me? It sure doesn't sound like he's taking to me."
It's a revelation. If you're shooting sports in low light situations, Pentax might not be the best.

Wow, never heard that before. <Sarcasm alert.>

I guess I should end with "I wouldn't use an R6 if someone handed me one for free." There's just no crop room with a 20 MP camera for the type of shooting I do. I'd sell it and buy something "useful to me." (And yes, I do own a 20 MP camera. It will never be my main camera but it's good for it's portability when I don't need a hi res camera, may not actually do any shooting and want something along, just in case but don't want to carry any bulk.) It's not even as high res as my 6 year old K-3).

Congrats to the OP for finding his way, in the world and finally finding a camera suited to what he does. But like many of these posts, the K-3iii that's about to be released would have satisfied a lot of his requirements. Pentax is never first out of the gate, but they often catch up a few years down the line. I totally understand, "your kids are in school, you can't wait for Pentax to catch up" types of scenarios. People should have the best they can for what they do most. Pentax for the most part make field cameras, not gym cameras.

Last edited by normhead; 02-03-2021 at 07:10 AM.
02-03-2021, 07:32 AM - 5 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't see the point of your post, considering the OP is properly posting about a non-Pentax camera in the dedicated non-Pentax camera thread.
02-03-2021, 08:10 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Seriously

"The slow 4 FPS (and even 7 fps) really made it difficult to anticipate what exact moment you were going to capture the shot, and the extreme shallow buffer made shooting RAW practically impossible (the K-3 was a little different). The only real way to control things was to switch to single-point, which due to shooting at 2.8 (only while in-doors) made cropping blurry when AF was not quite where you wanted it. I don't do a lot of it at events, but sometimes its nice to innersperce video clips into highlights. Pentax is easily the most clunky."

Why do we need someone telling us the K-1 Pentax isn't an action camera? Duh
Since it's in the Non-Pentax camera section, why is he talking about Pentax at all?
Is the non-Pentax section the place to go to trash Pentax behind our backs?

All the guy had to do was talk about his R6 and what he liked about it. There is exactly no reason for trashing Pentax here. It's Pentax forum. We re aware of what Pentax is and the limitations of each body, more than anyone and this analysis is less than insightful.

Always into conspiracy theories, here what I see from a possible marketing stand point.
Pentax is about to come out with the K-3ii, which is likely a better camera than an R^ in terms of low light action, and with expanded focus points. Many of the things the OP is complaining about.

So you have to ask, is this honest, or a last ditch attempt by some Canon marketer to siphon Pentax customers before the K-3iii comes out. All the above problems are addressed in the K-3iii, perhaps not adequately, we don't know, but what is coming is 6 years advanced from the current K-3. Something smells.

It's kind of the last chance for action shooters to trash Pentax. I guess they have to get their licks in before the K-3iii comes out. 10 FPS is definitely my sweet spot, based on images I've seen from other photographers. The K-3iii is already overkill.

As I say, possibly a conspiracy theory, but I am wondering why the OP if he cared about Pentax as he claims, didn't give the K-3iii a chance. If you post you experience, it's only fair people will comment if they think you've made an unreasonable decision. If you can't handle that, don't make posts trashing Pentax on a Pentax forum, in any sub-forum.

The O.P.s comments come down to , "I needed a half ton, I bought a sports car, the sports car doesn't carry enough stuff so I'm switching and buying a half ton." Said like that it's clear where the issue is. The buying, not the product. Despite what the OP says, the sports car is still good for sports car stuff, the half ton is still good for half ton stuff, neither deserves to be trashed for what it sin't. It is what it is.all we are discussing here is a personal decision, probably relevant to no one, in which Pentax is inadequate for what he does. I'm not sure why we need to know. We aren't him, and a I said, people come and go through the revolving door, that in itself isn't notable.
02-03-2021, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #15
mee
Veteran Member

Then why are you here? No one is twisting your arm to view this post if it hurts to see former Pentaxians moving on to better options for them. Did you forget you're in the Non-Pentax cameras forum?