Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2021, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
It is a question of having an open mind to reality.

a) the number of times I have seen a user being limited by current & upper end gear is less than 1 in 2000 here. Yes it can happen, but that is very, very exotic. I remember a single case and that was someone who has completely irrelevant personal requirements versus my own or what I perceive as the majority of real photo enthusiasts.

b) on the other side I see loads of people complaining, who have a long way up to being even mediocre skilled. This includes quite some commercial shooters with elevated self-perception who tend to wallow in self-pity if their skill shortcomings are addressed.Yes, it takes a grown up person to admit ones own faults.

Nota bene: I talk about photography. Not video. This is a photography forum after all.

Nota bene 2: If someone wants a new shiny toy (I do often enough) then feel free. But do not try to spin the narrative of "need" around it. The truth is all too transparent.
Kids have to have new toys! keeps the makers alive.

Well, yes. Skills plays a big part of many things. I know some pro photo guys still shooting old Canons. Just because they do like them and so far they have been just fine. They do count on their skills and timing. Some of them have some what updated gear, mostly because old did not work anymore. Also some clients are tight about your gear. They sometimes shoot with newest(newspaper photographers)and shoot with their own dated stuff for pleasure and small gigs. They do say new cameras are amazing, but you can fiddle quite well with oldie too if you know what you are doing. They are generation who bought lenses to be had forever and camera just as long as it functions. When it comes to Canon and now Nikon, that is changing too...but this does get a bit off.

02-04-2021, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the number of times I have seen a user being limited by current & upper end gear
Assuming it's not raining tooo hard
02-04-2021, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by landofcourtness Quote
This really was/has been a really hard decision for me to make. I love my Pentax gear so so so much!!! From the k1000 (my first camera I had at age 13), to my p30 and ZX-7 in High School + College... to move on to the K-5, K-1, K-3 (I know, I got this after getting the K-1 because I wanted a 2nd body and got an amazing deal) in my adulthood. A Pentax really has always been a part of my life, and experiences.

I also really love my lens line-up, and about 2 years ago or so felt like it was finally complete!:
Sigma EX DG 17-35 2.8-4, Sigma 35 1.4 Art, Tamron 90 2.8 macro, DFA 24-105 kit, DFA 24-70 2.8, Sigma 70-200 HSM II, Irix 135 2.8 Macro, Lensbaby Optic 12mm Fisheye + 50mm

Normally I like to shoot events for my school, and take portraits of my students (and for media use at my education program)... normally with a K-3 + 70-200 and K-1 + 24-70 on double-hoslter... and it can definitely work (for reference: Basketball - https://youtu.be/KpnXU8OH8_I, Football - https://youtu.be/6mNr2ovkSOY). I think the 36MP is the sweet spot in terms of resolution, and the dynamic range gives a level of flexibility to a moment. In moments where subjects had moments of static, you could truly create amazing moments. However, you were always at the whim of the cameras AF which really hurt in some really important ways. The slow 4 FPS (and even 7 fps) really made it difficult to anticipate what exact moment you were going to capture the shot, and the extreme shallow buffer made shooting RAW practically impossible (the K-3 was a little different). The only real way to control things was to switch to single-point, which due to shooting at 2.8 (only while in-doors) made cropping blurry when AF was not quite where you wanted it. I don't do a lot of it at events, but sometimes its nice to innersperce video clips into highlights. Pentax is easily the most clunky.

I had hopes that some day that Pentax would come out with something that would make me believe that they would address the need for AF/Buffer progression (never really thought video would ever be a priority, which I was fine with). However, after the K-3iii specs, and then the 'possible' price of an APS-C camera (with delay). If this cycle of Tech follows the K-3/K-1/KP/K-70 line, then Pentax simply I feel I have to move on.

So... I decided to move on to the Canon R6. I've only had it for a brief period of time, but the capabilities of this cameras feels like jumping into time portal... and moving decades in advanced. From the AF (the eye-AF is truly game-changing), to the crazy FPS + Buffer (and how fast it clears), to the amazing touch interface (It works with pretty much everything! ex: pinch to zoom. Using the back screen like a joystick to move the AF point while still looking through the viewfinder is a change in interface that might be difficult not to have on other cameras). There's also something nice about shooting silent (you can make it so that you don't even know it took a picture). The video features, shooting 4k-60 and AF in video... to even the menus. The RF lenses have these control-rings that allows a 4th way to change a plethora of features. The customizability is also limitless. The IBIS (AF and video capabilities) is the reason that I went all the way up to this specific model. It claims 8-stops, and I'm not sure if that's exactly what I'm getting... but working with the lens IS, and it feels really close to that. The low-light capabilities really are something too! I'm not really sure what I would do to improve this camera. It has been great to use!! There's only really 1 thing that is a bit disjarring. I only have the Kit 24-105 4 -7.1 lens atm, and hoping to add the 50 1.8, and converting the Sigma 35 1.4 to Canon EF.

If there's anything that I wished the 20MP R6 had, was more MP. As I said, I feel that 36MP is the sweet spot... so I actually like having both systems, at least for now. Pentax K-1 for slow paced moments (landscapes/astro/Macro) or places where I think the elements might put my camera in danger (though the R6 feels high quality, there is no comparison to rugged peace-of-mind feeling I get from Pentax gear). Maybe its just sentiment... but I do like the idea of always having a Pentax somewhere! I also just really love this forum!! (truly the amount I've learned from this forum, just about photography. I used to joke with people that even if I didn't have a Pentax, I would just act like it to be apart of the forum) Does anyone know if there is a forum like this for other companies?? But I do think I'll eventually move my lens lineup over to Canon as more affordable 3rd party options become available. For now, I'll use the Canon R6 for video, fast-paced, portraits, etc. This R6 just very much feels like the future!!

The R6 is a sweet camera, as is the R5. I almost went for one this December but they didn’t seal the 24-240 which stopped me. I moved away from Pentax AF-C a while ago when I bought a D-750 and the AF-C was night and day, it just works with a huge percent of keepers. That and the 150-600mm selection which Pentax doesn’t come close to having for the same price range. Now I have a Z camera and same kind of effect with it, although the R6 has a bit better autofocus.

I’m hoping in the future we get Pentax K to RF or Pentax K to Z adapters, or to E-mount with autofocus. Megadap already made one for manual focus lenses (it autofocus’s them within a distance range). Nikon did wait until near last and put out a huge Z mount so pretty much everything could eventually be adapted given demand.

Right now Canon is the it brand, or Sony. They’ll dominate with the video history with Nikon and Fuji probably occupying smaller market share (If Nikon makes it, I think they will but much smaller).

Last edited by LeeRunge; 02-04-2021 at 05:37 PM.
02-04-2021, 05:03 PM   #79
Veteran Member

R6 is a great camera. Really impressed with how far they have come since the EOS-R. Once the fill out their F/1.8 prime line of lenses they will have a fantastic system. It would be awesome if the new Sigma ART glass was available for it, but I'm sure it will be soon.

02-04-2021, 07:13 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
R6 is a great camera. Really impressed with how far they have come since the EOS-R. Once the fill out their F/1.8 prime line of lenses they will have a fantastic system. It would be awesome if the new Sigma ART glass was available for it, but I'm sure it will be soon.
And they started off with having 35 years of EF-mount lenses available
02-04-2021, 08:27 PM   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
R6 is a great camera.
Its big bro doesn't do too bad either!

Really impressed with how far they have come since the EOS-R.
R and RP came from the parts bin, they are both good cameras for their respective prices.The New2 certainly have set a standard and I'm looking forward to the 2 rumoured replacements for R and RP(this year I'm led to believe).

Once the fill out their F/1.8 prime line of lenses they will have a fantastic system.
35/50/85f2 are all good, the patents indicate not too long a wait.(I'll guess this year or next and RF will have most covered except for some GreatWhites)

---------- Post added 02-05-21 at 02:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
or to E-mount with autofocus.
Monster indicated this month for theirs to be official, lets hope it is good.
02-10-2021, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #82
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The R6 is a great camera, I have it and the R5 and use the R6 almost as much as the R5.

I actually prefer the R6 with the dial on top instead of the top display like the R5. For me I never use it, I either look at the rear lcd or just use the viewfinder.

I know some people don’t think 20mp is enough but it really hasn’t been a problem for me. Even when I was shooting the 1DX2 I thought the files from that looked better than the 50mp files from the 5dsr. If you are cropping a lot the megapixels probably aren’t the problem it most likely you don’t have a long enough lens.

One thing that took me a little time to find I could change was the size of the histogram in the EVF. It came with it set to large and it took up to much room for me, but after a month found you could make it smaller and it’s so much better now.

I started out with no intention of upgrading my EF lenses, I have two adapters one plain and one with the control ring and they work fine no difference from using on a EF body. But now I’ve upgraded three and have one EF lens left, I say I won’t upgrade that when they release the new RF 600 but I probably will. The ones I upgraded already have been improvements, some may say not big enough for the price but that’s all subjective.

Their are a few really good YouTube videos on setting up options on the R5 and 6, double back button focus is definitely the way to go. I have one set for single point and the other for animal eye af because I mostly shoot wildlife but if you shoot people you could set it up for people eye af instead.

Another nice thing about the R6 is even if you’re using uhs 1 sd cards they are fast enough for still shooting and they are so cheap. If you do use uhs 2 they are more expensive but still cheaper than the CF express B cards in the R5.

I would also recommend looking into CPS. Depending on how much gear you get it is a nice perk. You can get good deals on service and loaners depending on level and they offer good training classes. I did a one on one training session at Canons Melville NY location a few months after I switched from Pentax and it was so helpful with learning a new system.

02-15-2021, 07:44 AM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
The R6 is a great camera, I have it and the R5 and use the R6 almost as much as the R5.

I actually prefer the R6 with the dial on top instead of the top display like the R5. For me I never use it, I either look at the rear lcd or just use the viewfinder.

I know some people don’t think 20mp is enough but it really hasn’t been a problem for me. Even when I was shooting the 1DX2 I thought the files from that looked better than the 50mp files from the 5dsr. If you are cropping a lot the megapixels probably aren’t the problem it most likely you don’t have a long enough lens.
Yes, Nikon - with their “D500” and their “D750” - showed that a shooter does not need an enormous sensor, but people keep thinking that way.
02-18-2021, 12:28 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the response! I agree with what you said, about the R6 vs R5. The dial on the top + SD cards (vs CF-express, since I already have a stable of SD-I cards) was one of the main draws, aside from price. I have enjoyed using it for the past 1.5 months (or so). I was wondering what kinds of lenses you have/had?? Just curious, as I'm trying to figure out how best to proceed (I realize this is a bit individual).

I started with the kit 24-105 4 - 7.1 (came with my camera), and then recently picked up the 50 1.8 STM to begin to explore low-light capabilities. I am now currently in the process of seeing if they can convert my Sigma 35 1.4 Art into EF. My hope is to begin to possibly think about expanding into other focal ranges. Since I plan on keeping my Pentax K-1 and lenses for landscape/Macro/Astro (things that are slower and/or where more detail might be helpful)... I'm trying to figure out if I think that EF (which at the moment appear almost 1/2 price) or RF. It's been two years since the RF-mount was introduced, and we still haven't seen any Tamron support. Not sure how much sense that makes to hold out. I also do agree with the idea/statement that MP-count is overrated... but does allow for more cropping.

What is CPS? Is that their repair/insurance program that they have or something else?

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote

One thing that took me a little time to find I could change was the size of the histogram in the EVF. It came with it set to large and it took up to much room for me, but after a month found you could make it smaller and it’s so much better now.

I started out with no intention of upgrading my EF lenses, I have two adapters one plain and one with the control ring and they work fine no difference from using on a EF body. But now I’ve upgraded three and have one EF lens left, I say I won’t upgrade that when they release the new RF 600 but I probably will. The ones I upgraded already have been improvements, some may say not big enough for the price but that’s all subjective.

Their are a few really good YouTube videos on setting up options on the R5 and 6, double back button focus is definitely the way to go. I have one set for single point and the other for animal eye af because I mostly shoot wildlife but if you shoot people you could set it up for people eye af instead.

Another nice thing about the R6 is even if you’re using uhs 1 sd cards they are fast enough for still shooting and they are so cheap. If you do use uhs 2 they are more expensive but still cheaper than the CF express B cards in the R5.

I would also recommend looking into CPS. Depending on how much gear you get it is a nice perk. You can get good deals on service and loaners depending on level and they offer good training classes. I did a one on one training session at Canons Melville NY location a few months after I switched from Pentax and it was so helpful with learning a new system.
02-18-2021, 01:05 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Thanks for the response! I agree with what you said, about the R6 vs R5. The dial on the top + SD cards (vs CF-express, since I already have a stable of SD-I cards) was one of the main draws, aside from price. I have enjoyed using it for the past 1.5 months (or so). I was wondering what kinds of lenses you have/had?? Just curious, as I'm trying to figure out how best to proceed (I realize this is a bit individual).

I started with the kit 24-105 4 - 7.1 (came with my camera), and then recently picked up the 50 1.8 STM to begin to explore low-light capabilities. I am now currently in the process of seeing if they can convert my Sigma 35 1.4 Art into EF. My hope is to begin to possibly think about expanding into other focal ranges. Since I plan on keeping my Pentax K-1 and lenses for landscape/Macro/Astro (things that are slower and/or where more detail might be helpful)... I'm trying to figure out if I think that EF (which at the moment appear almost 1/2 price) or RF. It's been two years since the RF-mount was introduced, and we still haven't seen any Tamron support. Not sure how much sense that makes to hold out. I also do agree with the idea/statement that MP-count is overrated... but does allow for more cropping.

What is CPS? Is that their repair/insurance program that they have or something else?
I’d be all over that 24-240 for travel if I had the R6. Probably a 35/85 prime combo for photo’s of people depending on what focal lengths you like (I’m not a fan of 50mm personally). The K-1 will remain an outstanding landscapes camera for a very long time.

I agree with the above 20mp is no big deal on R6. I pretty much stopped at 24mp after the K-3. Being that I use my ipad and phone for editing/storage/sharing a lot the huge megapixel files just use up space too much (esp. RAW) with no real extra benefit outside some cropping once and a while. And the wireless snapbridge transfer will just get bogged down and take longer, which is annoying.
02-18-2021, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #86
Pentaxian

Right now I have the RF 50 1.8, RF 24-105 F4, RF 100-500 7.1 and a EF 600/4 IS II. I did have the EF 24-70 F4 and EF 100-400 F5.6 IS II and they all worked great with the adapter. I also had the 16-35 F4 that was a nice lens but to wide for me so I traded it in on the 24-70 and I had the 70-200 2.8 IS II and that was a great lens but to short for me so I traded it in on the 100-400.

I traded in the 24-70 when I traded my DSLR bodies in because my R6 came with the 24-105 lens. I just traded the 100-400 in on the 100-500 last month and I just got back this morning from a trip to south Florida and was really impressed with the new 100-500.

CPS is Canon Professional Services. They have different levels, and you have to have a certain amount of points for each level and the benefits go up with the level of membership and price but the basic level is free. You can get discount on service and a couple day turn around and if they need it longer you can get a loaner. They also offer evaluation loans on equipment, I think for ten days. So if you're thinking of buying something and not sure about it you can borrow it and see if it works for you. They have training classes also, but not sure if they are doing those right now. I have the gold level and have used it for cleanings, I get two free a year and was in N Jersey one day so scheduled to stop into their service center and they serviced them while I waited, took about a hour. It's a nice program if you build up enough equipment and especially if you're a working pro to be able to get the service turn around times.
02-18-2021, 11:08 PM   #87
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I started with the kit 24-105 4 - 7.1 (came with my camera), and then recently picked up the 50 1.8 STM
I started with the 35f1.8 then shopped around for best deal on 24-240.

I also got the adapter to EF as I already owned EF glass that I adapted on my Fujis(where I wasn't prepared to pay the Fuji prices).

I'm trying to figure out if I think that EF (which at the moment appear almost 1/2 price) or RF. It's been two years since the RF-mount was introduced, and we still haven't seen any Tamron support.
Ha HA,Tamron support is with the EF mount.As an example the RF 70-200mm f2.8 is 2700 u$d.Its a great lens for sure but its a GREAT PRICE if you are a Canon seller.My (new)version 1 Tammy 70-200F2.8 SP cost me the equivalent of 400u$d,the adapter cost 70 and I get to use it with the other L glass from Canon and the Sigmas too.

EF (which at the moment appear almost 1/2 price)
Its a good investment,espescially if you keep an eye out for bargains that pop up.I wanted a 150-600,so was looking at the Contemporary Sigma.A mint Sports model popped up for around the same price.

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I’d be all over that 24-240 for travel
I think its the perfect "good light" lens for the R system.Some people only have this zoom and add primes for specialty stuff.
02-19-2021, 04:28 AM   #88
Pentaxian

Generally Canon EF seems to be the one mount that can be counted as "native" on their mirrorless cameras, as all OEM EF lenses work flawlessly on RF mount.
As far as can be read even Nikon seems to have some smaller AF limitations on Z. Sony adapter options obviously are worst and that is what started the reluctance to use adapters.

So using (Canon) EF on R is easy and without any drawback.
02-19-2021, 05:58 AM   #89
Pentaxian

Generally Canon EF seems to be the one mount that can be counted as "native" on their mirrorless cameras, as all OEM EF lenses work flawlessly on RF mount.
As far as can be read even Nikon seems to have some smaller AF limitations on Z. Sony adapter options obviously are worst and that is what started the reluctance to use adapters.

So using (Canon) EF on R is easy and without any drawback.
Except for the part where you introduce another element of error when you use an adapter. Everything is built to a set of tolerances. Every time you introduce an new set of tolerances you risk degradation of performance. Something measured by lens rentals. Of course that won't happen with every adapter, but it does introduce another element of risk.
02-19-2021, 08:52 AM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I think its the perfect "good light" lens for the R system.Some people only have this zoom and add primes for specialty stuff.
I agree. The 24-200 is my most used lens right now on the Z5. I think the R6 and 24-240 or Z6ii and 24-200 are killer travel combo’s. Just add a prime or two for low light and your good. I take the 24-200 and the 35/85 mostly now.

I was using a Sigma 18-250 and 8-16 as my travel setup with the K-3 for a while and it produced great results. I ended up using that much more than the DA* 16-50 and 60-250 I own after the 16-50 had SDM failure.

Then it was an OMD EM10 ii with some super compact lenses, then Z5 setup which is my favorite so far. I love that the Nikon is full sealed up like my Pentax setup was with the DA* lenses, but it’s more compact for travel.

People like to talk down on the ultra zooms but I find them to be ideal for travel during daylight. Image quality is plenty good enough on the RF and Z ultrazooms.

---------- Post added 02-19-2021 at 10:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Except for the part where you introduce another element of error when you use an adapter. Everything is built to a set of tolerances. Every time you introduce an new set of tolerances you risk degradation of performance. Something measured by lens rentals. Of course that won't happen with every adapter, but it does introduce another element of risk.
Or the adapter doesn’t work with certain lens and tripod mount combos. I have that issue with one of mine. Other than that it’s working perfect, Sigma telephoto works great too.

There is a cool adapter that autofocus’s old manual lenses within a limited (sometimes full) focal range. It’s basically moving the lens in and out a small amount and the camera AF system works with it. The Megadap.

It’ll be interesting to see if some of these mirrorless systems start growing adapter capability’s without limitations for different brands lenses. I’d love it if I could use my K mount lenses with AF on my Z camera for example.

Last edited by LeeRunge; 02-19-2021 at 12:32 PM.