Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 58 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2021, 12:48 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Does anyone know if this is normal? I brought this Sigma 56mm 1:1.4 DC DN last month. Upon settings out some of the testings indoors I noticed the strange green looking flare with my shutter set to 1/2000 ISO 100 aperture set to F/1.4 Aimed at ceiling with no direct light hitting it.

Dropbox - 20210211_143606.jpg - Simplify your life

02-11-2021, 01:26 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Prince Harbinger Quote
Does anyone know if this is normal? I brought this Sigma 56mm 1:1.4 DC DN last month. Upon settings out some of the testings indoors I noticed the strange green looking flare with my shutter set to 1/2000 ISO 100 aperture set to F/1.4 Aimed at ceiling with no direct light hitting it.

That’s really odd. New one on me.
02-11-2021, 01:32 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's a very good approach. Sony cameras depreciate quickly given how frequently they introduce model upgrades. Good glass on the other hand can serve you a long time, hold their value, and sensor only reflect in image file what the lens give it in the first place... it's a myth that you get much more out of the same glass when moving from 42Mp to 61Mp, at 61Mp you just get a bigger picture of lens imperfections at the edges.
This is how I’d do it. I’v done other way around and a long one with my Pentax. Now I have only few lenses I’m happy, and rest can go.
02-11-2021, 02:06 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Since Sony has super good AF already in A7III I'd get that instead and get as good lenses I could instead in that budget. Then after you'v made back some of that investmet, upgrade body to A7IV in the future and you have nice backup body to go.

just my 2 cents.
Going with the A7III will only save me $689.51 that's not enough money for top glass. I'm better off with the newer camera that's coming out. If you buy right you won't buy twice. Buying the A7IV and a needless A7III will cost me 4,310.49 I'm better off spending that $1,810.49 on a top piece of glass. One example I could think of is the Sigma 35mm F1.2 Art DG DN lens. *

02-11-2021, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Going with the A7III will only save me $689.51 that's not enough money for top glass. I'm better off with the newer camera that's coming out. If you buy right you won't buy twice. Buying the A7IV and a needless A7III will cost me 4,310.49 I'm better off spending that $1,810.49 on a top piece of glass. One example I could think of is the Sigma 35mm F1.2 Art DG DN lens. *
That’s still that expensive? Dang. I saw one in sale(with ‘kit’ lens) for 3000€ and you’v got 300€ cash back . That would be 2700€ and you can sell the lens after(not sure who would buy it thou) or save it for rainy day.

But sure. You do what you think is the best for you and the money you’v got.
02-11-2021, 02:48 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
That’s still that expensive? Dang. I saw one in sale(with ‘kit’ lens) for 3000€ and you’v got 300€ cash back . That would be 2700€ and you can sell the lens after(not sure who would buy it thou) or save it for rainy day.

But sure. You do what you think is the best for you and the money you’v got.
Thanks, if I buy a third body it's going to compliment what I already have.
02-11-2021, 02:55 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
And forget about long tele lens for wildlife, maximum 200mm FF equ.!
But remember the 60mp crop mode with the adapted CaNik Tele lenses.

02-11-2021, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Given that you can’t yet order the a7iv it’s all speculation. What I’ve seen sounds nice: 30’ish MP, increased EVF resolution, 4K 60p but not 8k, and price around $2500 vs the lowest price new for an a7iii I’m seeing is $1700. If you can wait it seems smart. Of course that also means bleeding edge issues. New sensor, new EVF, new camera firmware...
02-11-2021, 07:43 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Given that you can’t yet order the a7iv it’s all speculation. What I’ve seen sounds nice: 30’ish MP, increased EVF resolution, 4K 60p but not 8k, and price around $2500 vs the lowest price new for an a7iii I’m seeing is $1700. If you can wait it seems smart. Of course that also means bleeding edge issues. New sensor, new EVF, new camera firmware...
Yeah I'm excited and eagar to try something new. This should be a significant jump from what I currently have. I'm ok with it not having 8K. Not many people have 8K displays anyway. I guess it would have been good for future proofing. 4K is good enough for me. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by bleeding edges. I'm only aware of that term with monitors and TV's. Are you talking about the display it'll have? If that's the case that won't bother me too much. As long as I'm not seeing that in the viewfinder. I'll be ok. Hopefully, the user menu has been improved. I hope one day we'll have insect eye AF. I know that sounds crazy, but I believe it'll happen eventually. Assuming we all survive the next calamity to come.
02-11-2021, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah I'm excited and eagar to try something new. This should be a significant jump from what I currently have. I'm ok with it not having 8K. Not many people have 8K displays anyway. I guess it would have been good for future proofing. 4K is good enough for me. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by bleeding edges. I'm only aware of that term with monitors and TV's. Are you talking about the display it'll have? If that's the case that won't bother me too much. As long as I'm not seeing that in the viewfinder. I'll be ok. Hopefully, the user menu has been improved. I hope one day we'll have insect eye AF. I know that sounds crazy, but I believe it'll happen eventually. Assuming we all survive the next calamity to come.
"Bleeding edge" refers to technology that is at the extreme forefront, and thus may have unexpected issues or consequences.
02-11-2021, 09:50 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
"Bleeding edge" refers to technology that is at the extreme forefront, and thus may have unexpected issues or consequences.
Thanks for the clarification. I wouldn't be surprised if it did have any issues. With the shortage of workers and supply.
02-11-2021, 10:09 PM - 2 Likes   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the clarification. I wouldn't be surprised if it did have any issues. With the shortage of workers and supply.
Not really a worker or supply thing, but more like unexpected (or, expected and ignored) side-effects to pushing the technology envelope. For example, as sensors increased in resolution and bodies and lenses became smaller and lighter, cameras began to experience shutter shock. Subsequently, camera manufacturers had to develop new shutter mechanisms or implement subtle delays in the actuation in order to ameliorate the problem. It is still a problem that is not fully tamed.

More recently, the well-publicized overheating issue of the Canon R5 while recording 8k video is an example of the pitfalls of "bleeding edge" technology. A firmware update from Canon mitigated the issue a bit, but it still remains, most likely until a Mark II version is released.
02-11-2021, 11:28 PM - 2 Likes   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
So it’s less noise per pixel for smaller pixels?
Smaller pixels, more noise per pixel, but proportionally more pixels to make the image, noise averages out. Sensors with lower pixel density are often considered to have less noise because zoomed in at 100% doesn't do the same enlargement as a higher density sensor also zoomed-in at 100%.
02-12-2021, 01:39 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

Turn the vignetting lens correction off.
02-12-2021, 09:09 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Not really a worker or supply thing, but more like unexpected (or, expected and ignored) side-effects to pushing the technology envelope. For example, as sensors increased in resolution and bodies and lenses became smaller and lighter, cameras began to experience shutter shock. Subsequently, camera manufacturers had to develop new shutter mechanisms or implement subtle delays in the actuation in order to ameliorate the problem. It is still a problem that is not fully tamed.

More recently, the well-publicized overheating issue of the Canon R5 while recording 8k video is an example of the pitfalls of "bleeding edge" technology. A firmware update from Canon mitigated the issue a bit, but it still remains, most likely until a Mark II version is released.
Thanks for the concise information. I wonder how they will fair when they introduce the new curved sensors.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 02-12-21 at 09:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
Turn the vignetting lens correction off.
That worked thanks. What happens when I select lens profile in Lightroom? Will the green cast come back?

Last edited by Prince Harbinger; 02-12-2021 at 09:37 AM.