Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2021, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Prince Harbinger Quote

That worked thanks. What happens when I select lens profile in Lightroom? Will the green cast come back?
Nope. The lens correction in-body is applied before the raw file is written so it’s baked in if it’s turned on.
The lens profile on Lightroom is more judicious in its approach and has more processing power available so avoids those issues.

02-12-2021, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
Nope. The lens correction in-body is applied before the raw file is written so it’s baked in if it’s turned on.
The lens profile on Lightroom is more judicious in its approach and has more processing power available so avoids those issues.
That's great to know, thank you so much. I haven't tested it out outdoors in daylight with those settings, but I'd imagine that green cast would have an affect on the color.
02-13-2021, 07:27 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
Are you sure? If you have a source I’d be interested. I was always told those corrections only applied to jpg on Pentax.

Lens Correction: On or Off? - PentaxForums.com

Pentax K-7 Review - RAW
02-13-2021, 11:26 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Are you sure? If you have a source I’d be interested. I was always told those corrections only applied to jpg on Pentax.

Lens Correction: On or Off? - PentaxForums.com

Pentax K-7 Review - RAW
Strange anomalie with new lens - PentaxForums.com

C.a.m gives a couple of sources here and there’s a few on dp review and elsewhere that I mentioned to prince harbinger via pm.
Interestingly it’s the only of the lens corrections on Sony that are baked into RAW.

Edit: two links as sent to PH

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56346515
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4339567

02-27-2021, 11:11 AM - 2 Likes   #50
Veteran Member

Doing this at the moment, a system changeover to a small, lighter weight kit.

In brief:

A7R IV (£2150) with Neewer (£48) or Meike grip (£99) (not he Sony due to cost)
Sony G 1.8/20 (£800)
Sony Zeiss 1.8/55 (£500), had one years ago, stellar lens
Tamron 70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VXD (£900)
Pentax-FA Limited's, the 31, 43 and 77 (already have) on an AF Monster Adaptor (around £200) once it's available
Samyang 2.8/14 on Rayqual MF adaptor (already have)
NiSi 77mm macro conversion lens (£109)
Some filters, including the Singh-Ray Gold 'n Blue, MRC CPL's, ND's etc.
Cactus RF60 with V6IIs

And that's it, nothing other than that lot can be hauled or will ever be used. Total kit weight under 6 kilos. All told, including other bits and pieces, total comes to under £5,000. Dumping a ton of old gear which will leave this a zero cost exercise, possibly with a lot of change, but it'll take a long time to sell is my guess.

I have found that if you base your system on a maximum target of 6 kilos (hand baggage permissible weight), this really focuses the mind as to what you'll actually use and avoids needlessly fast (and therefore heavy and expensive) lenses.

Don't know if this is of any help.
02-27-2021, 11:50 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote

In brief:

Sony G 1.8/20 (£800)
Pentax-FA Limited's, the 31, 43 and 77 (already have) on an AF Monster Adaptor (around £200) once it's available
Cactus RF60 with V6IIs

And that's it, nothing other than that lot can be hauled or will ever be used. Total kit weight under 6 kilos. All told, including other bits and pieces, total comes to under £5,000. Dumping a ton of old gear which will leave this a zero cost exercise, possibly with a lot of change, but it'll take a long time to sell is my guess.

I have found that if you base your system on a maximum target of 6 kilos (hand baggage permissible weight), this really focuses the mind as to what you'll actually use and avoids needlessly fast (and therefore heavy and expensive) lenses.

A whole kit with not a single lens 200mm or over?
02-27-2021, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
A whole kit with not a single lens 200mm or over?
I won't use 200mm, doesn't make a huge difference, at least not enough to blow big money. Although it loses 20mm on the long end, the Tamron there is three lenses in one for me. Medium tele, portrait (it's that good) and a macro/close up with the NiSI 77mm macro attachment lens. Keeping the Raynox DCR-150, 250 and MSN-505 because they're small and light and already here.

200mm+ on FE is both money and very importantly, heavy. But... those three (20, 55, 70-180) lenses together come to 1.4 kilos. My DFA* 2.8/70-200 alone weighs 1.75 kilos. With the K-1 and grip, 3.2 kilos. Then I'm also lugging the DFA 15-30. Then more. It's too much. Lovely gear, lovely photos, too big and heavy for me. I can't haul it, I can't carry it, my rotator cuff shoulder won't even lift it, thus I don't use it.

This is a kit consolidation (from 24 lenses to 7) and serious lightening exercise, down to what I can reasonably haul and only what I would regularly use.

DFA* 70-200 on K-1 (I shall miss this big bag of primes)...

Last edited by Parry; 02-27-2021 at 02:26 PM.
02-27-2021, 09:54 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In brief:

Sony G 1.8/20 (£800)
Cactus RF60 with V6IIs

I'm not planning to divest of a lot of gear yet but I do have the A7rII and the Meike grip
I have plans to add the Monster AF adapter also for my FA 77, FA 31, and D FA 100, FA* 200, FA* 300
The Sony FE 85/1.8 and 24-105/4 are in the bag.

But my KP seems to do a really fine job so I'm still not sure what future Sony has with me. I need to try that AF Adapter and then I'll know more...
02-28-2021, 12:32 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
200mm+ on FE is both money and very importantly, heavy. But... those three (20, 55, 70-180) lenses together come to 1.4 kilos. My DFA* 2.8/70-200 alone weighs 1.75 kilos. With the K-1 and grip, 3.2 kilos. Then I'm also lugging the DFA 15-30. Then more. It's too much. Lovely gear, lovely photos, too big and heavy for me. I can't haul it, I can't carry it, my rotator cuff shoulder won't even lift it, thus I don't use it.
Good choice of lenses for the Sony. Although similar weight saving can also be achieved with a Pentax kit (in the future...): K1 + D-FA 21 + FA 50 1.4 (or FA 43) + 70-210 f4, won't weight/size significantly more than Sony kit. The pain with Pentax is how slow they are to offer a lens selection. I bought myself a FA 35, FA 50 and I had the 100 macro , as light weight kit, but I admit the choice of Pentax primes hurts, in comparison to the choice available for Sony FE. The Pentax choice of FF primes , is either old screw drive lenses, or big expensive f1.4 premium glass. My ideal prime kit would be modern/sharp f1.8 primes, price < $1000 but that's not the direction Pentax is going. I was looking to get an 85mm, but the size and price of the D-FA*85 stopped me immediately.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-28-2021 at 12:38 AM.
02-28-2021, 04:57 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Good choice of lenses for the Sony. Although similar weight saving can also be achieved with a Pentax kit (in the future...): K1 + D-FA 21 + FA 50 1.4 (or FA 43) + 70-210 f4, won't weight/size significantly more than Sony kit. The pain with Pentax is how slow they are to offer a lens selection. I bought myself a FA 35, FA 50 and I had the 100 macro , as light weight kit, but I admit the choice of Pentax primes hurts, in comparison to the choice available for Sony FE. The Pentax choice of FF primes , is either old screw drive lenses, or big expensive f1.4 premium glass. My ideal prime kit would be modern/sharp f1.8 primes, price < $1000 but that's not the direction Pentax is going. I was looking to get an 85mm, but the size and price of the D-FA*85 stopped me immediately.
Yes. Slightly slower lenses (f/1.8) on full frame sensor make the most sense, for me at least. Much lighter and more compact and much cheaper. The FA Limited's on AF adaptor are perfect for this.

---------- Post added 28-02-21 at 18:58 ----------

I'm not planning to divest of a lot of gear yet but I do have the A7rII and the Meike grip
I have plans to add the Monster AF adapter also for my FA 77, FA 31, and D FA 100, FA* 200, FA* 300
The Sony FE 85/1.8 and 24-105/4 are in the bag.

But my KP seems to do a really fine job so I'm still not sure what future Sony has with me. I need to try that AF Adapter and then I'll know more...
What do you think of the Meike grip?
02-28-2021, 06:40 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What do you think of the Meike grip?
Bear in mind I’m not a grip person. I own three, none are regularly used. I got it because it was ridiculously cheap and occasionally I’ve used one with the cameras that I have with one (OMD-EM1, K-3).

The fit and finish are very good. The controls work as intended. The remote that came with the grip looks nice but I haven’t used it yet. I have never used the Sony branded grip, so I can’t provide any clear detail on comparison. I don’t like the Sony method of attaching a grip, having to remove the battery door vs having dedicated contacts seems goofy. The grip does have dedicated storage for the door but it still isn’t as easy as the k-3/em1 where the grip just goes on. On the other hand, having both batteries accessible from the grip directly for replacement/external charging is easier than having to remove the grip to access a battery that’s depleted.
02-28-2021, 08:09 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Bear in mind I’m not a grip person. I own three, none are regularly used. I got it because it was ridiculously cheap and occasionally I’ve used one with the cameras that I have with one (OMD-EM1, K-3).

The fit and finish are very good. The controls work as intended. The remote that came with the grip looks nice but I haven’t used it yet. I have never used the Sony branded grip, so I can’t provide any clear detail on comparison. I don’t like the Sony method of attaching a grip, having to remove the battery door vs having dedicated contacts seems goofy. The grip does have dedicated storage for the door but it still isn’t as easy as the k-3/em1 where the grip just goes on. On the other hand, having both batteries accessible from the grip directly for replacement/external charging is easier than having to remove the grip to access a battery that’s depleted.
Just about to sell an original A7R with original Sony grip... if only I can find the grip (boxed, new condition), can't find the damn thing! It was all in the same box ready to rock 'n roll out the door. Stuff round here literally disappears. Stuff gets thrown off kitchen cupboards, drums of coffee last time. The kettle clicks on and off randomly, in front of multiple witnesses. Every kettle we've had here the same thing. Whole apparitions have appeared and I tell you, that was terrifying.

Yes. I am saying a ghost has gone off with a Sony grip. I am being serious.

Anyway, aside from the paranormal, I will now go for the Meike grip with confidence.

Many thanks, Uncle!
02-28-2021, 08:45 AM   #58
Pentaxian

I won't use 200mm, doesn't make a huge difference, at least not enough to blow big money. Although it loses 20mm on the long end, the Tamron there is three lenses in one for me. Medium tele, portrait (it's that good) and a macro/close up with the NiSI 77mm macro attachment lens. Keeping the Raynox DCR-150, 250 and MSN-505 because they're small and light and already here.

This is a kit consolidation (from 24 lenses to 7) and serious lightening exercise, down to what I can reasonably haul and only what I would regularly use.

DFA* 70-200 on K-1 (I shall miss this big bag of primes)...

As I thought.....
My 18-135 and DA 55-300 comprise my lightweight travel kit for my K-3
When needed
100 macro
DA 55 1.4

My guess is that's less than the weight you'll be carrying for more functionality. For the K-1 substitute the 28-105 for the 18-135 and add the Sigma 24 macro.

DA* 55 1.4 375 gms.
DA 18-15. 405gm
DA 55-300 PLM 445 gm
DA 100 macro 2.8. 340

1675 grams.

I'm sure you have your reasons, but weight doesn't make sense. Selling the heavy lenses you can't lift make sense though. I just had shoulder surgery 3 months ago, a surgery I was told by an older surgeon (like mid forties) couldn't be done. The kid who performed it did it using arthroscopy. So far a great result. I'm not lifting my 3 kilo 300 2.8 yet but I'm getting there. I'm 72 years old and I'm not selling any heavy lenses yet.
02-28-2021, 10:27 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
As I thought.....
My 18-135 and DA 55-300 comprise my lightweight travel kit for my K-3
When needed
100 macro
DA 55 1.4

My guess is that's less than the weight you'll be carrying for more functionality. For the K-1 substitute the 28-105 for the 18-135 and add the Sigma 24 macro.

DA* 55 1.4 375 gms.
DA 18-15. 405gm
DA 55-300 PLM 445 gm
DA 100 macro 2.8. 340

1675 grams.

I'm sure you have your reasons, but weight doesn't make sense. Selling the heavy lenses you can't lift make sense though. I just had shoulder surgery 3 months ago, a surgery I was told by an older surgeon (like mid forties) couldn't be done. The kid who performed it did it using arthroscopy. So far a great result. I'm not lifting my 3 kilo 300 2.8 yet but I'm getting there. I'm 72 years old and I'm not selling any heavy lenses yet.
The A7R IV weights 665g.
The Sony 20mm f1.8 weights 373g
The Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8 weights 281g
The Tamron 70-180mm weights 810g

Total weight of the above (body included) = 2129g vs 2600g of the Pentax gear you chose (with K1 weight included). With either of the 2 primes on A7R IV the weight is similar to K1 weight (just the body).

The main difference (bodies aside) is in the tele lens. While you have extra 120mm in terms of reach, he chose a lens (Tamron 70-180mm) that has a constant f2.8 aperture, while you will be at f5.6 at 200mm and at f6.3 at 300mm with Pentax 55-300mm PLM. With a 2x adapter he can be at 360mm and f5.6 in case he need extra reach. As always, it all comes down to what each shoots with the gear available. Some may not need f2.8 and in this case a 55-300mm can cover the tele lens.

Tamron has a very interesting f2.8 trinity lenses that are sharp, light and quite affordable. I do hope to see them in Canon and Nikon mirrorless mount, but I think it may take a while...

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 02-28-2021 at 10:45 AM.
02-28-2021, 10:48 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
The A7R IV weights 665g.
The Sony 20mm f1.8 weights 373g
The Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8 weights 281g
The Tamron 70-180mm weights 810g

Total weight of the above (body included) = 2129g vs 2600g of the Pentax gear you chose (with K1 weight included). With either of the 2 primes on A7R IV the weight is similar to K1 weight (just the body).

The main difference (bodies aside) is in the tele lens. While you have extra 120mm in terms of reach, he chose a lens (Tamron 70-180mm) that has a constant f2.8 aperture, while you will be at f5.6 at 200mm and at f6.3 at 300mm with Pentax 55-300mm PLM. With a 2x adapter he can be at 360mm and f5.6 in case he need extra reach. As always, it all comes down to what each shoots with the gear available. Some may not need f2.8 and in this case a 55-300mm can cover the tele lens.

Tamron has a very interesting f2.8 trinity lenses that are sharp, light and quite affordable. I do hope to see them in Canon and Nikon mirrorless mount, but I think it may take a while...
I concur with the weight analysis. Also the kit included 14 and 20mm primes. But the weight of the monster adapter is likely to erase some of the delta between the two bodies when using the fa 31, 43, & 77.