Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2021, 02:28 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I actually suspect this lens is a good idea from a business perspective and I wouldn't be surprised if it does fairly well. It's one of the few lenses that plays to the strength and makes sense with mirrorless (because it's compact and the f11 isn't an issue with an EVF). It would not work as a DSLR lens, so photographers who can live with f11 but would sure like the 800mm reach on FF will have incentive to move to Canon's mirrorless system.

That said, I'd never buy the lens for myself. I'm not so much bothered by the f11 as the MFD and the fact that it's a prime. A lens that focuses closer and zooms would provide a great deal more options for creativity in the field as would, of course, a faster aperture. However, in the end, it's all about trade-offs. Faster aperture is better for photographic purposes, but not necessarily for the wallet or the back.

02-22-2021, 04:09 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I laughed when they announced these lenses but the reviews have been pretty good and now looking at it I think they are a good idea.

They are not going to replace the 600 F4 or 800 5.6 lenses but they are cheap alternatives for people who will most likely just enjoy them at their backyard bird feeders or walks in the park. They will get people into the RF system and then who knows what they will do. They may find they really love photographing wildlife and then look at more expensive lenses and upgrade bodies and GAS kicks in and next thing you know you spent 20K on gear.

I give Canon credit for putting lenses like this out, I think they are better choices for showing what is capable with a new system and mount than what Nikon did with its 58mm F.95 lens. The Nikon lens I'm sure is far superior in quality but I don't think it will get people into the system like the Canon F11's will.
02-23-2021, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
From Ken Rockwell's review:

QuoteQuote:
Mirrorless cameras, unlike DSLRs, view and autofocus great with slow lenses, so by taking advantage of this Canon created this gem...

Image Stabilization, rated and actually giving 4 stops improvement so I get perfect sharpness most of the time at 1/60!
Canon RF 600mm f/11 Review
02-23-2021, 03:27 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
From Ken Rockwell's review:

Canon RF 600mm f/11 Review
Thx for providing link. I skimmed through the article, took a brief look at the photos, which appeared OK sharp. I think there is a market out there, for this lens.

02-23-2021, 04:36 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Thx for providing link. I skimmed through the article, took a brief look at the photos, which appeared OK sharp. I think there is a market out there, for this lens.
My complaint with Ken Rockwell is his demonstration images have over-sharpening artifacts. I'd love to have the raw files, so I can press to my liking.