Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
03-04-2021, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #46
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
The Z5 should have been 6-8FPS as well.
I was just thinking that they should have been at 6fps. I wonder if thats feasible in firmware?

The D850 supply was the same way as the 2nd gen Zs. It was out of stock for months and months before it was readily abundant. They seem to have small production runs that get overwhelmed by demand at the start. Still is a huge seller though.

And now that there is a semiconductor shortage, I doubt it's going to change with the new Zs. The new Pentax body is in the same boat. A lot of things are. We're in lean times due to a lot of factors.

But for those to say Nikon is doomed because they currently have 7.5pct mirrorless share in Japan is both hilarious and aggravating. Pentax doesn't even have half that in total camera marketshare for the same region and they still turn a profit. It's another fake news story that needs people to speak out against it, for it to be stamped out imo.

Last edited by mee; 03-04-2021 at 12:49 PM.
03-04-2021, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #47
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I agree that supposition portrayed as fact is a colossal pain and that is something I am guilty of from time to time, generally because I phrased something poorly. I also completely agree that it should be challenged. I do however expect to get the chance to hold my hand up and admit I was wrong. Getting hold of the wrong end of the stick has never been easier but I learn far more from people who educate than I do from those attempting to tear me a new one. However, when people then dig their heels in and perpetuate the nonsense, at that point they deserve everything they get.
Fair enough!
03-04-2021, 12:55 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiddo70 Quote
No offense, but every time I see your handle, it reminds me of a grave marker at Boot Hill in Tombstone, Arizona. And I quote: “Here lies Lester More. Four shots from a 44. No Les, no More.”
Old Lester More...or as his family called him..... Les....I do believe he must of been my great, great grandpa We wuz run off of Arizona territory, back in the 1800's and somehow managed to escape to Canada.
03-04-2021, 12:59 PM   #49
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Old Lester More...or as his family called him..... Les....I do believe he must of been my great, great grandpa We wuz run off of Arizona territory, back in the 1800's and somehow managed to escape to Canada.
I thought you guys might have been joking. But it's a real tombstone supposedly for a real person. Interesting story.

Last edited by mee; 03-04-2021 at 01:05 PM.
03-04-2021, 01:50 PM - 3 Likes   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm wondering what to do about this thread. There's already been one complaint that I have responded to---but then while trimming the offensive post I'm finding even more problems here.

So: take the edge off the rhetoric, be able to disagree in a much more civil fashion, or the thread gets shut down. You guys get to make the call.

For now I'm going to leave the worst posts up, but may come back to do more weeding if the thread calms down. I'll be generous and chalk it up to covid tension....for now.
03-04-2021, 02:04 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What interested me about that article was how well Fuji are doing, considering they don’t have a player in the FF game. I wonder if Fuji’s bet on medium format will pay off now that they have set prices at the upper end of FF but not noticeably above it (except for the original GFX 100) and in fact below it in some cases.
03-04-2021, 03:24 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
A lot of people have DSLR lenses that they acquired over more than 10 years and most of those lenses are still pretty good, and some of the lenses have no equivalent for mirrorless. I guess enticing long time owners of dslr glass to buy again a new lens lineup within the context of a falling market is a challenge, especially while having to pay for the R&D of a dozen of new lenses for the Z mount released within two years time frame.
I guess I just think you have to figure out how your MILC lens line up is going to be different from your SLR lenses that are already out there -- other than more expensive. Canon chose to release some really fast lenses that are not matched on SLR. Nikon has a 24-200 variable aperture zoom for 900 dollars, a 70-200 f2.8 for 2600, a 35mm f1.8 for 850, and so on. They are nice lenses, but are they enough nicer than F mount versions to warrant purchasing them? I don't know.

I'm guessing that Nikon also got hurt with negative press on their initial Z mount cameras (in particular the card slots) and now are caught in the same issue of sensor shortages that probably halted the release of the Pentax K-3 III. None of this is stuff that can't be over come, but they are going to need some "right steps" to stand out going forward.

03-04-2021, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I thought you guys might have been joking. But it's a real tombstone supposedly for a real person. Interesting story.
I've seen pix of the Lester More tombstone. Although I must admit I was joking about old Lester being my grandfather.

My handle came from a couple of sources. One of my names is.... Les, the other is the popular phrase 'Less is more", which apparently may come from a couple of different sources. My preference is this one.

The phrase 'Less is more' - meaning and origin..
03-04-2021, 03:53 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess I just think you have to figure out how your MILC lens line up is going to be different from your SLR lenses that are already out there -- other than more expensive. Canon chose to release some really fast lenses that are not matched on SLR. Nikon has a 24-200 variable aperture zoom for 900 dollars, a 70-200 f2.8 for 2600, a 35mm f1.8 for 850, and so on. They are nice lenses, but are they enough nicer than F mount versions to warrant purchasing them? I don't know.

I'm guessing that Nikon also got hurt with negative press on their initial Z mount cameras (in particular the card slots) and now are caught in the same issue of sensor shortages that probably halted the release of the Pentax K-3 III. None of this is stuff that can't be over come, but they are going to need some "right steps" to stand out going forward.
For sure Nikon went really conservative in basically replicating the F lineup over again while Canon took some risks with 600/800 F11's which are cool lenses IMO. The big difference for me with Z glass is it's all weathersealed. My 20mm/50mm F mount lenses are not. Not something of value for everyone but huge for me. Everything in the Z line is really well sealed which is not the case for Canon's RF mount lineup, only the expensive L glass. All the Z body's as well. That is not something Nikon did in the past as most F glass has poor weather sealing.

Nikon definitely hurt the launch of these Z camera's by putting them out too fast and having to play catchup with firmware. Most I'm sure saw the initial reviews and never looked back after firmware 2.0 and 3.0 came out. Plus the card slot thing was pretty shortsighted and hurt them.

I'm wondering myself if they're caught in the parts shortage or they're selling them that fast. I guess we'll find out eventually.

The Z system is really pretty enjoyable and I like the new lenses if you get a change to play around with one. The controls are good too.

---------- Post added 03-04-2021 at 04:56 PM ----------

I was just thinking that they should have been at 6fps. I wonder if thats feasible in firmware?

The D850 supply was the same way as the 2nd gen Zs. It was out of stock for months and months before it was readily abundant. They seem to have small production runs that get overwhelmed by demand at the start. Still is a huge seller though.

And now that there is a semiconductor shortage, I doubt it's going to change with the new Zs. The new Pentax body is in the same boat. A lot of things are. We're in lean times due to a lot of factors.

But for those to say Nikon is doomed because they currently have 7.5pct mirrorless share in Japan is both hilarious and aggravating. Pentax doesn't even have half that in total camera marketshare for the same region and they still turn a profit. It's another fake news story that needs people to speak out against it, for it to be stamped out imo.
This shortage is unfortunate. I am looking forward to seeing this new K-3 iii. I may just buy one and have Pentax be my "DSLR" gear into the future. I do enjoy shooting with Pentax cameras as the controls are my favorite out of all the brands.
03-04-2021, 04:04 PM   #55
mee
Veteran Member

This shortage is unfortunate. I am looking forward to seeing this new K-3 iii. I may just buy one and have Pentax be my "DSLR" gear into the future. I do enjoy shooting with Pentax cameras as the controls are my favorite out of all the brands.

Indeed it is.

I'm looking forward to seeing it too. I'm not sure I'll buy. But if I come into enough money then maybe it will be a nice side toy to play with the new 16-50mm. I think they will make a fine couple.
03-04-2021, 05:36 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Indeed it is.

I'm looking forward to seeing it too. I'm not sure I'll buy. But if I come into enough money then maybe it will be a nice side toy to play with the new 16-50mm. I think they will make a fine couple.
The original 16-50 I used heavily until the SDM went out on it. Hopefully the new one is excellent.
03-04-2021, 05:45 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
What interested me about that article was how well Fuji are doing, considering they don’t have a player in the FF game. I wonder if Fuji’s bet on medium format will pay off now that they have set prices at the upper end of FF but not noticeably above it (except for the original GFX 100) and in fact below it in some cases.
Fuji played it smart staying out of full frame I think. They only had Sony in APSC mirrorless to compete with and only Pentax in the lower end of the medium format market. Sony doesn't put as much into their APSC line as they do with the full frame and Ricoh doesn't do a thing in their medium format so Fuji developments in those lines seem to have had good results.

I know a month or two ago my local store still had a waiting list for the D850, that's pretty good for a four year old body I think.

I thought the Z7 looked pretty good on paper except for not being able to have a battery grip when it came out, they fixed that with the 7II. I do think their reluctance to go all in with mirrorless may keep some of their users from switching and if the release a updated D850 I think that will just keep people from switching even longer.

I think Nikon made a mistake with the development of the 58mm .95 lens also. I'm sure it's great but it won't be a big seller and the ROI will be low. They probably would've been better making something unique to the Z mount that was more affordable and useful to a larger number of users like Canon did with the 28-70 F2 and 600 and 800 F11's.

Canon has made it clear the RF mount is their future, they will not be releasing any new EF bodies or lenses.
03-04-2021, 07:17 PM   #58
mee
Veteran Member

The original 16-50 I used heavily until the SDM went out on it. Hopefully the new one is excellent.
Both copies of the original 16-50mm I owned and my 50-135mm had the SDM die on it. And neither 16-50mm were particularly satisfying at 16mm.

The motors in newer Pentax lenses seem both reliable and fast so it should be fine. Plus I really think they'll work on the optical formula to make it's performance ... satisfying.

I think it's going to be fantastic lens.
03-04-2021, 07:33 PM   #59
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
I think Nikon made a mistake with the development of the 58mm .95 lens also. I'm sure it's great but it won't be a big seller and the ROI will be low. They probably would've been better making something unique to the Z mount that was more affordable and useful to a larger number of users like Canon did with the 28-70 F2 and 600 and 800 F11's.
I don't think it was a mistake in as much as it was a showpiece lens to showoff what the mount can do. It's also a historical lens type for Nikon so there are some emotional strings and pride associated with it for the brand.

I think of it like the Chevrolet dealership having the fully loaded Corvette or a Ford dealership having a GT on the showroom floor. It's impressive to see and draws crowds that then go on to buy the Pickup truck or SUV (50mm f/1.8 S) in their price range and functional needs.

The lack of a portrait grip support on the first gen Z's was a headscratcher to me too. Only having a single card slot (and it being the expensive XQD) was also a headscratcher to an otherwise solid performer. Tactical decisions I'm sure, but I didn't buy as a result. I probably could make it work if it had an SD slot like the 2nd gens do.

Another interesting topic is in the adoption of 3rd party lenses into the system. Tamron and Sigma still aren't creating Z or RF mount lenses yet. I've read they're coming later this year though. It's still a young system at only two and a half years ago.
03-04-2021, 09:51 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Original Poster
sufar has a long standing habit of kicking up drama about various brands then playing innocent as 'just sharing news'.
So why don't you point it out?

I see facts and reveal them, show me where I haven't?
Closed Thread