Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-04-2021, 01:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Picking up used A7RIII help!

Hello, happy holidays everyone. I'm picking up a used A7RIII on the 16th. I would like to know what I should look for to make sure it is functioning properly. The seller states that it has 50K acutations. That's all I really know besides some minor wear on the body and a scratch on the LCD screen. I might be able to fix the scratch if my theory on it having a preinstalled screen protector is correct. I plan to put tempered glass over it. It'll be a local pickup, and they are only accepting cash. I only have one full frame AF lens that I could bring to test. Which is the Sony 90mm macro G. As the lenses that I'm getting have yet to be released.

04-04-2021, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are reports of a shutter issue in the a7iii and a7riii. However it isn’t clear how commonplace this is.
04-04-2021, 01:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Prince Harbinger Quote
Hello, happy holidays everyone. I'm picking up a used A7RIII on the 16th. I would like to know what I should look for to make sure it is functioning properly. The seller states that it has 50K acutations. That's all I really know besides some minor wear on the body and a scratch on the LCD screen. I might be able to fix the scratch if my theory on it having a preinstalled screen protector is correct. I plan to put tempered glass over it. It'll be a local pickup, and they are only accepting cash. I only have one full frame AF lens that I could bring to test. Which is the Sony 90mm macro G. As the lenses that I'm getting have yet to be released.
Can you hold out for the A7IV? That's what I'm doing at least.
04-04-2021, 02:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
There are reports of a shutter issue in the a7iii and a7riii. However it isn’t clear how commonplace this is.
That's interesting because I only heard that it was a issue with the A7III.

---------- Post added 04-04-21 at 02:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
Can you hold out for the A7IV? That's what I'm doing at least.
A7IV I thought of it but decided against it. I'm sure you'll be happy with it though.

04-04-2021, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I went back looking before my post but I don’t know if it was later decided it only impacted the a7iii but there are threads from 2019 that implicated the a7iii and a7riii. It isn’t an area I claim expertise on so I suggest looking into it more carefully before deciding what risk you have buying new.
04-04-2021, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I went back looking before my post but I don’t know if it was later decided it only impacted the a7iii but there are threads from 2019 that implicated the a7iii and a7riii. It isn’t an area I claim expertise on so I suggest looking into it more carefully before deciding what risk you have buying new.
Thanks, I looked into it and there's nothing concrete on the A7RIII having shutter issues. Just one thread from a different forum with the OP asking if it had issues. In the event that mine would break it only cost $120.00 for the replacement part. Or about $635.00 for Sony to repair it.
04-04-2021, 08:42 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, I looked into it and there's nothing concrete on the A7RIII having shutter issues. Just one thread from a different forum with the OP asking if it had issues. In the event that mine would break it only cost $120.00 for the replacement part. Or about $635.00 for Sony to repair it.
Good to know.

04-04-2021, 09:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

---------- Post added 04-04-21 at 02:20 PM ----------

A7IV I thought of it but decided against it. I'm sure you'll be happy with it though.
I mean't the A7IV (not the A7RIV), which should be out later this year. Might have substantial improvements, especially in ergonomics and perhaps the A9 AF.
04-05-2021, 09:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
I mean't the A7IV (not the A7RIV), which should be out later this year. Might have substantial improvements, especially in ergonomics and perhaps the A9 AF.
It won't have A9 AF sadly. Sorry to disappoint you. I hope that whatever you do purchase that you are happy with it and that it brings prosperity.🙏

---------- Post added 04-05-21 at 09:54 AM ----------

I ended up buying one on Etsy for a great deal from someone in PA. It appears in better condition. The only thing missing is the charger. However I think it could be charged via the C-cable. I can always order the wall charger on Amazon. I paid with Paypal so I should be protected if there's something wrong with it.🤞 I just hope to God that it's what is advertised. I would be fairly disappointed if it was a box with a brick. The seller didn't have any reviews and he hasn't answered my message yet about when he will be sending it out. Don't know how many actuations it has either. If it does turn out to be a dud. I can still buy the original one I was going for along with the two upcoming GM lenses that I want.