Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2021, 03:47 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
mirrorless recommendations

Hi! I have been absent from the forum for a long time!

I currently have a K1-ii which was a gift from my amazing husband when we had our third child. Alas, juggling the K1 and 3 children has proven next to impossible. I am getting ready to list it for sale, as it is just too big. I am keeping my old K3 body and some lenses, but thinking about investing in a mirrorless body that will hopefully get a little more use. Can anyone recommend a good mirrorless to go to coming from the world of Pentax? I love Pentax for the ease of use and intuitive menu systems etc. I will do lots of research on my own, but thought this community might be a good place to start. Thanks for all your input!

04-20-2021, 04:00 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by doroth2 Quote

I currently have a K1-ii which was a gift from my amazing husband when we had our third child. Alas, juggling the K1 and 3 children has proven next to impossible. I am getting ready to list it for sale, as it is just too big. I am keeping my old K3 body and some lenses, but thinking about investing in a mirrorless body that will hopefully get a little more use. Can anyone recommend a good mirrorless to go to coming from the world of Pentax? I love Pentax for the ease of use and intuitive menu systems etc. I will do lots of research on my own, but thought this community might be a good place to start. Thanks for all your input!
Seems as tho many Pentax members consider Fuji to be the MILC distant-relative twice removed. I'd start my search with them.
With that mention, what is it you think mirrorless will give you that Pentax cannot? People have different expectations for their gear.
04-20-2021, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mirrorless is touted as being a smaller body but in reality they are not all that much smaller and in many cases harder to hold as the ergonomics are often not as good. If your only concern with a DSLR is the body size you might also want to consider a smaller DSLR such as the KP which would use your existing lenses and be much smaller than the K-1II.

I use both a K-3II and a K-1II and while I love the images from the K-1II there is no question it is a big camera. I keep the K-3II as my 'smaller' body but there are even smaller bodies available in the Pentax line.
04-20-2021, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alas, juggling the K1 and 3 children has proven next to impossible.
Jugglers usually use special juggling balls. Good on you for trying the kids and a camera. (sorry, couldn't resist).

Thanks for all your input!
For what it's worth, I'll mention that my son has a Fuji X-T3 (APS-C format), which he has used for more than a year. He's generally very happy with the camera and the lenses. He's used it for still photography and videography, including a couple of paid gigs. He likes the size overall, and the feature set. His one niggle that I've heard -- although not a serious complaint -- is that the camera is a bit awkward or tiring to handle with his largest lens, an XF 55-200 zoom. The lens is not huge, but it and the camera do not balance well, mainly because of the smallish grip. The addition of a battery grip has helped a lot with the handling and comfort, he says.

I had a chance to use his X-T3 for a week. Nice camera, easy to use, fairly decent menu system. Images were good, although I prefer the output from my K-3 II. The electronic viewfinder was okay to my eyes, but I prefer my optical viewfinder.

From trying cameras at a couple of gear expos and from what I've read, I think that mirrorless cameras, in general, lack some of the excellent ergonomics that we know in Pentax cameras. In particular, their grips tend to be too small, or one's fingers get squeezed in near the lens barrel. Newer MILCs, especially full-frame models, seem to be increasing the grip somewhat at the expense of a larger body. Similarly, buttons and controls may be too small, especially in Micro Four-Thirds models.

Lenses for APS-C or full-frame mirrorless cameras tend to be comparable in size and weight to their DSLR counterparts, so there's not a huge advantage lens-wise.

Of course, it would be important to try any prospective camera before buying.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 04-20-2021 at 05:17 PM.
04-20-2021, 04:42 PM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I love, love, love my pair of Fuji bodies (X-T2 and X-H1) - funny thing, however, is that I own a total of one Fuji native lens; the rest are all adapted/film era lenses...

and the jpegs that come out of the cameras are simply stunning....
04-20-2021, 05:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can anyone recommend a good mirrorless to go to coming from the world of Pentax? I love Pentax for the ease of use and intuitive menu systems etc. I will do lots of research on my own, but thought this community might be a good place to start. Thanks for all your input!
Pentax KP in liveview, but if you want total mirrorless read Pepperberry's post above.
04-20-2021, 05:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

If you want small and portable then you are probably looking at apsc. In my opinion your best option for mirrorless apsc is Fuji due to the selection of good apsc lenses available vs canikony, and the outstanding jpgs straight from the camera. I have an XT1 and even being an older model it is still newer than my K3. If you are looking for mirrorless full frame you won't really find any significant size or weight advantage. Honestly even the K3 vs XT1 isn't that big of difference, not enough that I would call the Fuji more portable and convenient, it's not. My personal experience as a Dad with my kids and watching other parents with theirs, is you either prioritize photography and take the gear and use it, or you don't. Most simply don't or won't. What gear it is doesn't really factor in, and the size is almost irrelevant. Whatever I am taking, I still have to pack up and camera, at least a lens or 2, charge the batteries, and then lug a bag with me for the duration of whatever we are doing. I do it everywhere we go, because I love the pictures, and yeah I lug my K1 and 3-4 lens everywhere, every hike, every walk, every show, every activity. It's barely larger than the Fuji and I like what I get out of it more, and enjoy using it more.

04-20-2021, 05:40 PM - 2 Likes   #8
mee
Veteran Member

If I wanted a modern APS-C mirrorless system, I'd likely chose Fuji. Specially an X-H1 body. It is the most DSLR similar in style with a really nice handgrip. The lens lineup is rather nice imo.

If I was moving to a modern FF mirrorless system, it is got to be Nikon all the way for me. Closest to Pentax in ergo and sealing. Z6II or a Z5 body. And the S series of lenses are incredible.

Sony has a really robust system too for both APS-C and FF mirrorless, but I'm not fond of their ergo on the crop side and the FF side tends to be more appliance-like to me. Plus I'm not fond of their color reproduction. But all these things are subjective. They do seem to have the most lens support though.

And I've never liked Canon for a number of reasons that have translated over to mirrorless. The entry bodies are junk for the money, but the higher priced bodies are very competitive. I think they may have the best autofocus system.
04-20-2021, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Nikon Z has the most interest for me - very good EVF for the price (Z5 & Z6 models) and seems large enough for those of us accustomed to DSLRs. I've been itching to handle one but just haven't been able to (yet).

If size/weight reduction is a goal, be sure to check the specs for the lenses that interest you. As other posters have noted, MILC lenses are not universally smaller/lighter than their DSLR counterparts.

Just as an example:

Fuji X-T4 + XF 35/2 = 777g
Pentax KP + DA 35 Ltd = 917g

How much is that 140g in weight savings worth to you?

OTOH:

Pentax K-1 + DFA 24-70/2.8 = 1797g
Nikon Z7 + Z 24-70/4 S = 1175g.

MILC + a lower-specified - but still reportedly excellent - lens and you gain a much smaller & lighter (by 622g) kit.
04-20-2021, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I would think a cheap A7 (cheaper ) or A7iii if budget allows.
You get FF, can still use the Pentax FF lenses via adapter and its decently smallish (but lenses become big/heavy for the fast lenses )

I just use a A7 and Pentax 43, 50mm or even smaller RF lenses on it when its just a day out with the kids (those with the emphasis on the 'out' and not the photos )

Olympus m4/3 cameras are cheap nowadays due to the uncertainty of the format/brand.
However, lens prices are holding on and also, you'd need to invest in at least two, 20/25mm, 45mm .
04-20-2021, 06:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Jugglers usually use special juggling balls. Good on you for trying the kids and a camera. (sorry, couldn't resist).

For what it's worth, I'll mention that my son has a Fuji X-T3 (APS-C format), which he has used for more than a year. He's generally very happy with the camera and the lenses. He's used it for still photography and videography, including a couple of paid gigs. He likes the size overall, and the feature set. His one niggle that I've heard -- although not a serious complaint -- is that the camera is a bit awkward or tiring to handle with his largest lens, an XF 55-200 zoom. The lens is not huge, but it and the camera do not balance well, mainly because of the smallish grip. The addition of a battery grip has helped a lot with the handling and comfort, he says.

I had a chance to use his X-T3 for a week. Nice camera, easy to use, fairly decent menu system. Images were good, although I prefer the output from my K-3 II. The electronic viewfinder was okay to my eyes, but I prefer my optical viewfinder.

From trying cameras at a couple of gear expos and from what I've read, I think that mirrorless cameras, in general, lack some of the excellent ergonomics that we know in Pentax cameras. In particular, their grips tend to be too small, or one's fingers get squeezed in near the lens barrel. Newer MILCs, especially full-frame models, seem to be increasing the grip somewhat at the expense of a larger body. Similarly, buttons and controls may be too small, especially in Micro Four-Thirds models.

Lenses for APS-C or full-frame mirrorless cameras tend to be comparable in size and weight to their DSLR counterparts, so there's not a huge advantage lens-wise.

Of course, it would be important to try any prospective camera before buying.

- Craig
Excellent advice. Sometimes after trying something different, the grass is not always greener.

I have , I suppose a small mirrorless. My Ricoh GR ll, which I've had for a couple of years. Very small, but with a large ASP-C sensor and a sharp 28mm F 2.8 lens...but it is a fixed lens and therefore does not have any interchangeable lens .

It reminds me of my old 1951 Leica 11f rangefinder with it's 50mm Elmar collapsible lens. Both Leica Rangefinder and Ricoh GR can take very sharp images, well built, are easy to carry, around as a daily carry and I find a lens @ 50 or 28mm , can pretty well meet all my needs, except of course for telephoto.
04-20-2021, 07:03 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I use a k1ii, but also a Panasonic micro four thirds system which it seems I use more often now. Nice interface, comfortable to use, and the lenses in particular make for a smaller, lighter and more affordable system overall.
04-20-2021, 07:18 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
When I wanted a lighter camera than the K-1, I got an Olympus. The F1.8 primes are very reasonably priced and extremely compact. The pancake kit lens for the E-M10 IV is quite good too.
04-20-2021, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since you are keeping the K-3 and that is APSC format; do you want a larger sensor like the k-1 or the same apsc size or smaller? Personally I have owned apsc mirrorless (Samsung), m43 (Olympus and Panasonic) and Full Frame (Sony A7RII) as well as APSC Pentax DSLRs (K100D / K100D Super / K-50 / K-3 / KP) and I borrowed a K1 for a month along with the 24-70.

My thinking: 1) there are a few advantages to full frame but most of us rarely explore the edge of that world. 2) You are keeping the K-3 and that covers APSC. 3) m43 20mp files are quite good - and the bulk of the k1 was one of the reasons you are considering moving to mirrorless - so why not go small? The size advantage is there unless you go with the largest lenses and even then the crop factor makes them more impressive. I have a mix of a higher end zoom (f2.8 12-35) a middleweight zoom (45-175) some compact slow zooms (12-32, 35-100) and several primes of various types. I can assemble a good light kit easily when desired and a lower light kit if needed.

Mind you I still shoot my KP and my Sony - but sometimes I need a smaller kit to travel with.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 04-21-2021 at 05:39 AM.
04-20-2021, 09:36 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The GRiii? It's a big improvement over the GR. Nice and small and it changes the shooting style, which can be good or bad. Juggles extremely well, too ...