Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2021, 03:48 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
1957 Ricoh 500 Rangefinder

Hello,

Sorry for disappearing for a few months. I was dealing with my father's health. Unfortunately, he passed away last week.

On my way to the lawyer's meeting to discuss his will, I stopped at the only thrift shop in the area, which operates very limited hours. Saw it open and stopped.
Found this diamond in the rough. The lady said she had no idea if it works and warned it was for display only. I left with $25 less in my pocket and an unknown rangefinder Ricoh 500 camera.
I did not know anything about it. Even opening it was a challenge.
Interestingly, there is not a whole lot of online info on this camera.

According to my research, the Ricoh 500 was launched in 1957 but there were 4 distinct variations. The most common is the second variation with different top covers and controls. This is the first version built only in 1957. I found a couple on ebay but all were later variations. It seems this serial number is very low.
So we have a timeframe: 1957
The lens is a fixed Riken-Ricoh 45mm f2.8
Shutter speeds, aperture setting and focus control are in the lens barrel. Top speed is 500. I suppose that's where the name comes from.
It is a classic rangefinder where you focus by matching the 2 images in the finder.
What makes it different is the unique rapid advance lever that is located at the bottom, and you operate with the left hand. The back opens by sliding down taking with it the advance lever.

I'll carefully start cleaning it. Initial tests suggest it is working, so I don't plan to disassemble anything. One of the strong points of rangefinders is they are very quiet compared to SLRs.

Let's see where this goes!

Thanks,

05-20-2021, 04:22 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Sorry for disappearing for a few months. I was dealing with my father's health. Unfortunately, he passed away last week.
I am saddened to read this. My prayers are with your family.

Steve
05-20-2021, 04:32 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

According to my research, the Ricoh 500 was launched in 1957 but there were 4 distinct variations. The most common is the second variation with different top covers and controls. This is the first version built only in 1957. I found a couple on ebay but all were later variations. It seems this serial number is very low.
So we have a timeframe: 1957
The lens is a fixed Riken-Ricoh 45mm f2.8
Shutter speeds, aperture setting and focus control are in the lens barrel. Top speed is 500. I suppose that's where the name comes from.
It is a classic rangefinder where you focus by matching the 2 images in the finder.
What makes it different is the unique rapid advance lever that is located at the bottom, and you operate with the left hand. The back opens by sliding down taking with it the advance lever.

I'll carefully start cleaning it. Initial tests suggest it is working, so I don't plan to disassemble anything. One of the strong points of rangefinders is they are very quiet compared to SLRs.

Let's see where this goes!
I handled a CLA'd copy of one like yours in a shop several years ago that I almost bought. It was quite pleasant in the hand and the trigger wind is a hoot!

Steve
05-20-2021, 05:23 PM   #4

My condolences on the loss of your father. It is good that you had the time to spend with him.
We have a church-run thrift store close to my office. I'll have to check it for cameras or electronics.

Kirk B.

05-20-2021, 06:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

sorry for you and your family's loss Ismael

neat find.....have one but believe it's a newer model (20813).....the top and face are different....functions but have yet to run film through......the lower wind lever is quite different and awkward just like on the retina iii (c?)
05-20-2021, 06:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have its baby brother, the Ricoh 300:

More compact than the Ricoh 500, the Ricoh 300 also has a 4.5 cm f/2.8 lens and combined range/viewfinder.
It differs in the conventional thumb wind film advance lever, hinged film door and shutter speeds to 1/300.

The old Ricohs are very well-made cameras, typical of those made in Japan in that era.

https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/my-kind-of-ricoh.431104/

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 06-12-2021 at 02:00 PM.
05-20-2021, 06:26 PM   #7
Pentaxian

My condolences Ismael. Fortaleza para la familia.

05-20-2021, 06:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry about your father, and we have missed you here. Looks like your next project is lined up.
05-21-2021, 07:35 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for your comments. Definitely some rough times.
No pics yet but cleaning is progressing nicely. Very little disassembly: only a knob and the frame counter. Not familiar with it so I won't venture too deep as it seems to be working.

Browsing eBay last night (always a bad idea) I found (and bought) the correct user manual for this camera. I have found online pdf versions of other variations but not of this one.

Thanks,
Ismael
05-22-2021, 06:12 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

PRESENTING MY NEW RANGEFINDER: RICOH 500

Cleanup is pretty much done (cleanup is NEVER finished). Did not take pics of the process but very minor disassembly. Rewind knob, shaft, lever, sleeve and spring were carefully taken apart, cleaned up, realigned (as they were messed up) and put back together. Similarly on the other side the frame counter was seized. Took it apart, cleaned it, back together and it works properly now.
Aperture and shutter speeds seem to be working fine. Rangefinder is smooth and seems accurate. The ultimate test will be in the wild with a roll.
It looks like rust, but those brownish spots are some sort of brassing. It may have been caused by corrosion. It seems the metal may have a higher copper content. Not sure.
It shows signs of use. Minor dings look more like from repeated use than from a fall or something.
Here it is in the same sequence of the initial post:

And some closeups:

minor dings

some brassing and little pitting

If I were a forensic examiner I would have said "It seems it was serviced at some point according to the tiny little marks on the spanner screw."
DUH! It is 64 years old! Chances are high!

Working on a quick and dirty video to test shutter and flash sync.

Thanks,
Ismael
05-23-2021, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

Quick and dirty 1 minute video on basic testing. I really need to invest in good video gear if I want to do this often. Especially on the sound.
Enjoy the crappy video.

Thanks,
Ismael
05-23-2021, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hello,

Quick and dirty 1 minute video on basic testing. I really need to invest in good video gear if I want to do this often. Especially on the sound.
Enjoy the crappy video.

https://youtu.be/h2a09o7Cb1E

Thanks,
Ismael
Wow! The clean-up looks great! I am surprised at the shutter working so well. It is a tribute to the Seikosha MXL! I am also surprised the hot shoe works.

Steve
05-27-2021, 01:57 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

Got the manual today in the mail!

I have a song in my mind now: "Reunited and it feels so good!"

This page is the reason I wanted the manual. The flash sync parameters.

Printed November 1956! That was almost 65 years ago at the time I type this (May 2021)!
Looks pretty good for its age.

Thanks,
Ismael
06-04-2021, 11:24 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bottom trigger-wind cameras are neat - until you want to use a tripod. Of course, Canon really pushed the concept in the 1950s with 3 generations of their rangefinders, claiming they were much faster to shoot action series. (But Leica had made rapid-wind baseplates for their rangefinders before, which Canon copied.) Since the left hand did the winding while the right had tripped the shutter, it was only faster if you didn't need to focus between shots.
Canon's first SLR (Canonflex) of 1959 also used a bottom trigger wind, but with a swinging design more like this Ricoh than their earlier linear-moving levers. Perhaps they got that idea from Ricoh?
06-05-2021, 08:30 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

Consider ARMED AND DANGEROUS! WILL SHOOT!

Thanks,
Ismael

Last edited by ismaelg; 06-05-2021 at 08:37 AM.