Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 63 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2021, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't think of the word "retro" when the K-01's styling is considered. I've got some words for it but not that one.

06-29-2021, 09:38 AM   #17

This new Zfc reminds me of my Nikon J5, except with more dials and a larger sensor.

An ME sized retro inspired Pentax would be dope!
06-29-2021, 09:42 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I would have a really hard time paying that kind of money for that camera. Used they seem available for about $1500 pretty readily which also seems wildly over priced.
I am pretty sure that has been list price for the Df pretty much forever and has been one of the reasons why sales were never particularly brisk for the model. FWIW, $1500 new would be a steal for that camera, even today and despite the modest sensor resolution. Inside beat the heart of a D4.

Steve
06-29-2021, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sinzen Quote
This new Zfc reminds me of my Nikon J5, except with more dials and a larger sensor.

An ME sized retro inspired Pentax would be dope!
The ME is pretty small and similar size without going back to late-1970s features would be a challenge. That said, I would welcome a non-AF Av + M K-mount dSLR.

Steve

06-29-2021, 10:07 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I don't think of the word "retro" when the K-01's styling is considered. I've got some words for it but not that one.
Fair enough, and I'm on the same page you are. It wasn't, however, the melted blob shape that most modern DSLR cameras have.
06-29-2021, 10:13 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really like it, really don't like Nikon's lack of interest in producing APS-C primes.
06-29-2021, 10:13 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The ME is pretty small and similar size without going back to late-1970s features would be a challenge. That said, I would welcome a non-AF Av + M K-mount dSLR.

Steve
Do something a la Fuji, with dials for ISO and shutter speed on the body and aperture rings on the lenses and you have a wiener. No AF is a non starter, and I think a full PASM exposure control menu would be required to get it out of the one customer in the world market niche.
Fuji got it right with the XT series. All Ricoh would need to do is make a camera like that with the Pentax name and a full frame sensor and I bet they would have at least 2 customers for it.

06-29-2021, 10:16 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I actually kind of like the practicality of the tiny window for displaying aperture.
06-29-2021, 10:32 AM   #24
Pentaxian

In think this is just making Nikon look desperate. Their whole Z aesthetic is anti vintage, normal Z lenses will look strange on this camera. The new 28mm is a super plastic lens with vintage looks and the 16-50 is a high tech collapsible plastic lens with silver paint on it! ! The worst possible way of doing things. The 16-50 is fine in it's black version mounted on a Z50. The modernity and efficiency is ok. Using make up to try making it vintage is gross.

I hope Pentax never goes cosmetic vintage like this even if pentax has the lens lineup to make it work. There are workflow advantages to visible analogue dials but hopefully Pentax will stay a bit more level headed and focus on handling and experience rather than looks. Come to think of it I'd actually quite like a quality plastic improved KP like camera. Vintage handling but executed with Pentax (or GR) like brutality with a focus on handling, visible settings and (relatively) light weight. A future for the K-70 line?

That Z28 is $299 for FF though... way below anything Pentax produces including very old glass still in production. I'd be surprised if the optics are poor.

Last edited by house; 06-29-2021 at 11:01 AM.
06-29-2021, 10:52 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Can native Fuji glass be adapted to Z mount?, I don't think so. Fuji users will not want it in that case.
New buyers will have to be a bit naive to buy it, existing Z mount FF users would rather buy another lens so who is it for?

I agree a FF version based on the Z5 would be a whole lot more attractive to a wide variety of camera buyers. Perhaps that is in the pipeline.

Oh, and they are available in different colors, a-la-Pentax K-50 meaning there will need to be a lot of dead stock in the system.
I think it's for the casual photographer who believes a "real" camera with changeable lenses would be beneficial. Maybe someone traveling, or looking for a fun-color retro-style camera for summer events. Light, compact, keep it in a (large?) purse, console, glove compartment. One step up from a point and shoot.

Obviously not meant for anyone with a serious want or need for a standalone camera. It's cheap enough I guess and ooohhh, the colors man
06-29-2021, 11:05 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Obviously not meant for anyone with a serious want or need for a standalone camera. It's cheap enough I guess and ooohhh, the colors man
I don't think it is cheap, around £900+ for the body or £1100 with the 28mm lens, it's a lot more expensive than a GRiii that will give the same image. Add other lenses and the cost really jumps.

Are the buyers a sub-set of the Z-50 crowd or is this a bid to increase market share from outside the current buyer sphere? Time will tell.
06-29-2021, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
I don't think it is cheap, around £900+ for the body or £1100 with the 28mm lens, it's a lot more expensive than a GRiii that will give the same image. Add other lenses and the cost really jumps.

Are the buyers a sub-set of the Z-50 crowd or is this a bid to increase market share from outside the current buyer sphere? Time will tell.
Pre-order in the US is about $950, or a kit with the 16-50 for less than $1100.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/nikon/ci/51181

Not cheap by K-70 standards but far more non-camera people know Nikon and assume quality whether deserved or not. This is for the new shooter, looks more "fun and trendy" than a Rebel.
06-29-2021, 12:02 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Nikon doesn't have the apsc lenses for a camera like this.
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I guess they are hoping for the camera store sales people to sell it to people new to cameras looking for a stylish alternative.
I think you have responded to your own point. The sort of people who will buy this will probably stick with the kit lens. Putting a 300mm F2.8 on it would spoil the style of it somewhat.
06-29-2021, 12:07 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To me, it's a handsome camera. I really like the retro styling and attention to detail in the lines. The body colours are fresh -- strikes me as an American Southwest palette.

As for the sensor and other features, well, it's probably capable of satisfying, say, 90% of prospective users' needs. The lack of a hand grip suggests that the body is intended for smaller lenses, as illustrated by the marketing images on Nikon's splash page and the two lenses Nikon promotes for the camera.

Over the years, how many times have we entertained ideas about a 'digital K1000'?

- Craig
06-29-2021, 12:35 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Over the years, how many times have we entertained ideas about a 'digital K1000'?
If FF it would be just that and you could forgive the lack of IBIS (even Nikon has that now). Paired with a 24-70 f4 and - POW- a winner

As an APS-C body it's a Fuji clone, without the lens line up.

Nothing wrong with Fuji or APS-C of course, its just that this has to create it's own market.