Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2021, 02:09 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nikon Z fc

Nikon made a Fuji! I took the images from DPR, I'm sorry everyone

Nikon Z fc | Interchangeable Lens Mirrorless Camera Here's the product page.

-21 MP APS-C sensor.
-9 fps (11 technically, but 14-bit RAW is capped at 9)
-2.36 MDot EVF (ouch).
-Fully articulated screen à la K-70
-Alloy body, apparently aluminium dials
-900€ body only (on initial sale, MRSP 1000€), add 250€ for a 28mm f/2.8 new plastey widey styled like the old E series or 150€ for a silver 16-50 kit zoom.
-Half a dozen colours available:

What are your thoughts? That they made this one APS-C smells like directly targeting Fuji... I would have thought a FF would make more sense, since the new Z-mount 28mm is FX?

06-29-2021, 03:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
What are your thoughts?
There's probably a market for vintage styled cameras. The 28mm is FF compatible. Despite all the bad talk about Nikon financials, they still have some gas to release such product and lens, and they recently announced two macro lenses for the Z mount.
06-29-2021, 03:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They made Df while a go, but this is new and priced to crush Fuji. Good thing about that crop is that you can use same lenses if you want FF in Z mount any time soon, you can lens couple from your parents.

Seems like fun, and that it can be. I wonder where I have seen nice colour options before?
06-29-2021, 03:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I wonder where I have seen nice colour options before?
I had, in fact, typed a "wait for the "it's not bad when it's not Pentax doing it" comment" addendum but I removed because I wanted to keep the post mostly informative

---------- Post added 06-29-21 at 03:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
There's probably a market for vintage styled cameras. The 28mm is FF compatible. Despite all the bad talk about Nikon financials, they still have some gas to release such product and lens, and they recently announced two macro lenses for the Z mount.
Yeah, I actually quite like the control scheme (and chrome just looks better - this is an objective fact ). It's just that I also know how much Nikon will neglect APS-C again... Methinks this is to test the waters and compare adoption to that of the Z50, then maybe release a similarly-looking Z Df with a FF sensor... after all the mount is so humongous that the camera wouldn't even have to be much bigger, maybe just a couple mm thicker because of the larger IBIS system.

06-29-2021, 08:18 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They made Df while a go, but this is new and priced to crush Fuji. Good thing about that crop is that you can use same lenses if you want FF in Z mount any time soon, you can lens couple from your parents.

Seems like fun, and that it can be. I wonder where I have seen nice colour options before?
Nikon used to sell D3xxx in different colors…

Lack of native Z-mount lenses especially DX lenses, means Fuji shouldn’t be worried.
06-29-2021, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Where's the film advance lever? I can't see it
06-29-2021, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Where's the film advance lever? I can't see it
It is the big flippy thing at the side of that camera

06-29-2021, 08:56 AM   #8
Pentaxian

It is the big flippy thing at the side of that camera
Oh yeah I see , that's a big one

What's that Nikkor Provia jpeg style?
06-29-2021, 09:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Nikon made a Fuji! I took the images from DPR, I'm sorry everyone

Nikon Z fc | Interchangeable Lens Mirrorless Camera Here's the product page.

-21 MP APS-C sensor.
-9 fps (11 technically, but 14-bit RAW is capped at 9)
-2.36 MDot EVF (ouch).
-Fully articulated screen à la K-70
-Alloy body, apparently aluminium dials
-900€ body only (on initial sale, MRSP 1000€), add 250€
…………
What are your thoughts? That they made this one APS-C smells like directly targeting Fuji... I would have thought a FF would make more sense, since the new Z-mount 28mm is FX?
My KP is plenty ‘retro’ for me.
06-29-2021, 09:59 AM   #10
Pentaxian

No IBIS & Nikon doesn't take APS-C seriously. Do not want!
06-29-2021, 10:09 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think it's fair to call it Fuji-esque when it's much more like a Df and like Nikon's classic film cameras, especially since the Df preceded Fuji's retro SLR-style bodies. It's a very nicely designed camera.
06-29-2021, 10:38 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like it... Seems nice, looking good, not so expensive, like the specs... I'd definitely bite... But yes, Nikon made a Fuji...
06-29-2021, 05:01 PM   #13
Pentaxian

The Zfc is right in the sweet spot for me. I should love it. But I am totally perplexed.

* Why APS-C? Fuji owns the “classic analogue controls on an APS-C” market. I always said if Fuji made a full-frame XT, I would buy it just to shoot adapted Pentax lenses. Nikon could have owned the full-frame classic controls niche - but instead they join Fuji for a slice of *their* pie and ignore the obvious opportunity in the market.

* 20 megapixel? I get that Nikon recycled the innards of the Z50, but this is last-generation.

* Why all the love for the Zfc when the Pentax KP was ignored? The KP (which I now own) is a great retro-ish DSLR that’s basically the same size, offers a comparable experience, and actually beats the Zfc in a number of ways (lens selection, resolution, battery life, and for those who care, reflex viewing.)
06-29-2021, 05:58 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Nice looking design. I can see a lot of younger people might be interested in something like that.
Since I don't have an interest in Nikon, I have no interest in reading their spec sheet and just hope they make it easy to communicate with other handheld devices too.
well, just have a look at the spec and the first thing I see, "Z FC doesn't support in-body image stabilization"... OK! It is a nice looking retro camera design, and that's all.
06-29-2021, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Nice design which I would think will catch some attention for Nikon in the apsc mirrorless space.
I don't see it as going for Fuji, its just Nikon's attempt at the market (again)
Some comments that its a re-skinned Z50, but to me... why not? ..
Lack of native lenses is its main drawback, but then, apsc and its fashion statement moves might be good enough for such users who will only have a kit lens or 2.

Could have been Pentax with their lineage of nice looking small SLRs and already available and smallish DA and FA limiteds.