Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2021, 11:10 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Compact camera suggestion (preferably APS-C/m43)

Folks, any suggestions for a compact camera with a large sensor (APS-C/m43) and zoom.

I had RX-100V briefly which has a nice IQ but I don't see much difference from the iPhone IQ. I also have Coolpix-A (similar to Ricoh GR) but it has a fixed lens which is limiting sometimes.

I am thinking to pick up Sony A5100 but the kit 16-50 zoom seems to be poor (from all reviews I read).

Just wondering, any other options or opinion. I am okay with the LCD-only option too (without EVF).

Thanks

08-21-2021, 11:50 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh GRIII (very compact excellent image), Fuji XF10 (fixed lenses).
Canon M100, Fuji A series (lens can be changed).
08-22-2021, 12:05 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps new retro Nikon Zfc

08-22-2021, 12:33 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If youíre considering the Fujis might want to take a look at the X-E series too since Fuji has a few pancakes

08-22-2021, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Folks, any suggestions for a compact camera with a large sensor (APS-C/m43) and zoom.

I had RX-100V briefly which has a nice IQ but I don't see much difference from the iPhone IQ. I also have Coolpix-A (similar to Ricoh GR) but it has a fixed lens which is limiting sometimes.

I am thinking to pick up Sony A5100 but the kit 16-50 zoom seems to be poor (from all reviews I read).

Just wondering, any other options or opinion. I am okay with the LCD-only option too (without EVF).

Thanks
I own the RX100IV and find it far more capable than my iPhone 11. Were You shooting in raw or jpg only? Recent examples that may be relevant:

RX100 IV | Flickr

As for m43, I like the gx7 or gx85 (I donít own the gx85 but friends do) from a size vs iq perspective. There are even smaller bodies you could try also. The most compact lenses I have used and like are:

Panasonic 12-32
Panasonic 14mm f2.5
Panasonic 20mm f1.7
Olympus 17mm f2.8
Olympus 9mm Fisheye Body Cap Lens
Panasonic 35-100 f4-5

I donít have these grouped in a single folder, Iíll have to dig around for examples in my Flickr feed. But here is a trip from 2 years ago that used the Olympus OMD-EM1 as the body and a variety of lenses including the 12-32.

Southport NC - March 2019 | Flickr
08-22-2021, 04:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Olympus EPL is a series of m43 cameras that are very compact, i think it's on the 9th or 10th version but they're mostly similar. If you're buying used then there are more options for the form factor, including Panasonic.
08-22-2021, 09:38 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I own the RX100IV and find it far more capable than my iPhone 11. Were You shooting in raw or jpg only? Recent examples that may be relevant:
Well, maybe I should have elaborated, what I meant was that the difference is not worth enough to carry an extra camera. For example, I could definitely see the clear difference between RX100 and CPA IQ but the difference is not so great between iPhone/RX100, at least to my expectations. I then sold RX100 and never felt like getting it back. I rarely shoot video (or 4k video) and not an important consideration.

For serious photography, I have other cameras like A7R3/Sigma Merrills but I have been rarely using them nowadays. Instead, I got addicted to Coolpix-A, amazing IQ, and great form factor. The nest part is that it is only slightly larger than RX100, which allows me to carry it anywhere. However as mentioned, the fixed focal length is limiting sometimes, and hence started hunting for a camera in a similar form factor but with zoom.

Last edited by yusuf; 08-22-2021 at 09:47 AM.
08-22-2021, 10:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a compact camera with a large sensor (APS-C/m43) and zoom.
The Olympus OM-D E10 is a very capable and compact ILC; for a zoom, there is always the question of how broad of a focal length range you want. The M.Zuiko ED 14-150 gives you the equivalent of a 28mm-300mm zoom on a FF camera, but only weighs 9 ounces and is 3.3 inches long when retracted.
08-22-2021, 11:47 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Ricoh GRIII (very compact excellent image), Fuji XF10 (fixed lenses).
Canon M100, Fuji A series (lens can be changed).
I agree. I have a Ricoh GR ll. ASP-C sensor in a very small, rugged camera. As you say, does have a fixed lens, but it is a quality lens...28mm F 2.8 on my GR ll.
08-22-2021, 08:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I agree. I have a Ricoh GR ll. ASP-C sensor in a very small, rugged camera. As you say, does have a fixed lens, but it is a quality lens...28mm F 2.8 on my GR ll.
As I mentioned, I already have Coolpix-A which is exactly the same specs as Ricoh GR but I am looking beyond a fixed lens.

---------- Post added 08-23-21 at 09:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
The Olympus OM-D E10 is a very capable and compact ILC; for a zoom, there is always the question of how broad of a focal length range you want. The M.Zuiko ED 14-150 gives you the equivalent of a 28mm-300mm zoom on a FF camera, but only weighs 9 ounces and is 3.3 inches long when retracted.
yes, thanks, looks like a good option but bigger than I'd have liked
08-23-2021, 12:22 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Well, maybe I should have elaborated, what I meant was that the difference is not worth enough to carry an extra camera. For example, I could definitely see the clear difference between RX100 and CPA IQ but the difference is not so great between iPhone/RX100, at least to my expectations. I then sold RX100 and never felt like getting it back. I rarely shoot video (or 4k video) and not an important consideration.

For serious photography, I have other cameras like A7R3/Sigma Merrills but I have been rarely using them nowadays. Instead, I got addicted to Coolpix-A, amazing IQ, and great form factor. The nest part is that it is only slightly larger than RX100, which allows me to carry it anywhere. However as mentioned, the fixed focal length is limiting sometimes, and hence started hunting for a camera in a similar form factor but with zoom.

To me, at least apsc will retain the IQ difference.
1" and smaller will all feel inadequate if looking for meld-ability in the RAW and large viewing IQ.
They will be totally good on most monitors, handphone screens and even printing so long as the raw is not squeezed too hard for the DR.

I would think there are plenty of m4/3 EM10 on sale nowadays. The models are old and interest have dropped for m4/3 as well as the uncertainty over Olympus.
On the APSC side, the usual one will be a NEX (again, plenty on offer ), then for the newer ones there are the Canon (eg. M50) and Nikon apsc models.
The Fuji XT-10 was been around for a while too and prices have dropped as well.

IMHO, just for the apsc and and small size utility (no pseudo retro modelling, etc ) and cost, either the NEX or the Canon.
The Fuji adds some bulk with the styling a EVF.
In fact some options already fall onto the bulkly side and one might as well get a A7 which is as smallish and FF.
The NEX has been around for a long time to benefit from a wide range of cheap lenses as well as adapters and accessories.

Last edited by pinholecam; 08-23-2021 at 12:29 AM.
08-23-2021, 05:57 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Small zooms for apsc and full frame are still quite large compared to primes - at Similar f stops. The RX100 series actually performs quite a bit better than I would have expected.
You might try a Panasonic LX-100 mk II if the RX100 isnít quite the performance you desired but you think itís close. The LX-100 mk II has a 20mp m43 sensor at the core. It does not use the full image circle on each aspect ratio due to the multi aspect design but it still 17mp in 4:3 mode. Personally I donít have direct experience with the LX100 only the smaller LX-7 which I loved. My reading however suggests the iq will be similar to the RX100.
08-23-2021, 08:48 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Didn't see anyone mention the Canon G1X Mark III here, so I'll suggest that too. Decent EVF, AF, and fast sharp zoom lens.
08-23-2021, 11:36 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I don't think anything compact is worth it anymore after having an Iphone 12 Pro Max since launch, I don't use my RX100 any longer, or any other compacts i have. The ProRaw files are nearly as good as my full frame aside from being lower megapixel. It's that good now. I have lightroom on my phone and ipad for processing the DNG RAW files (I process the Z5 on that as well). At night it blows away the RX100.

I would look to the OMD EM10/5 line and a few lenses personally. But honestly for the compact camera's the latest phones are getting hard to beat, and they'll have zoom capabilities out to 200mm very soon, some already do.

If you want the shooting experience the recent Z-FC with the Viltrox primes (23/33/56 1.4's) looks like a sweet setup for about about $2000. Those primes look to be quite good performers for the price. But that would be a more bulky setup and you already have a good full frame so probably not worth it.

I have the OMD EM10 ii and it's still a fun camera to use but I've replaced it with with a Nikon Z5 24-200 combo as my goto travel camera now, it's fully weather sealed including the Lens.

Last edited by LeeRunge; 08-23-2021 at 11:45 AM.
09-02-2021, 04:00 AM   #15

As well as multiple Pentax, Nikon and Canon DSLRs, I own around 25 APSC and M43 compacts and I can assure you that whoever dissed the A5100 is talking nonsense. That and the Canon Eos M10 are two of the standout cameras in that compact collection.