Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-03-2021, 02:46 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
The mirror box is huge on the 645Z and that's something Ricoh is sticking with, and honestly I would be shocked if they came out with another medium format body.
OOKU said in another thread that they are currently working on a medium format body. Not sure what it will be, but it was the first "solid" information that they weren't just dropping medium format.

09-03-2021, 03:36 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Pentax has said, and I agree, that Fujifilm entering the cropped MF market is good for them. It brings the sensor format further into the mainstream and Pentax could be seen as an alternative fo more people - especially those who tend to use a tripod, because it's the one system that is primarily designed for tripod use. It also probably brings the price of sensors down.
For sure, having more than one player helps develop the MF market segment and lower the cost of sensor technology when spread over a larger total market. However, given how much time it took for Ricoh to bring out the Pentax K3 III , I'd be concerned about how much time (years) it would take to release a Pentax K1 successor and a 645z successor. If at the pace of the K3 III, it means Ricoh have the choice between lose Pentax K1 customers (if they decide to release a 645z first) or to lose 645z customers (if they decide to release a new full frame body first), unless Ricoh HQ agrees to put cash on the table to allow Pentax to keep pace with competitors.
09-03-2021, 04:12 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
For sure, having more than one player helps develop the MF market segment and lower the cost of sensor technology when spread over a larger total market. However, given how much time it took for Ricoh to bring out the Pentax K3 III , I'd be concerned about how much time (years) it would take to release a Pentax K1 successor and a 645z successor. If at the pace of the K3 III, it means Ricoh have the choice between lose Pentax K1 customers (if they decide to release a 645z first) or to lose 645z customers (if they decide to release a new full frame body first), unless Ricoh HQ agrees to put cash on the table to allow Pentax to keep pace with competitors.
Have to disagree with you at here. but in short, to not to derail this from Fuji news.

K-3III too so long just because they were not sure how they should proceed with all of these mirrorless coming up, and they did take their time. Second thing was that they had to encounter things which took more than they did think, like Movie SR and also things connected to that as well as new AF array and completelly renewed system around that.

Now that all has been done, they can put it in next cameras, with their clear vision of staying with DSLR as well as updating the system in whole to match mirrorless with some technical things.

K-1 (FF) and 645 line is not going to eat up each others. There is quite big loyal 645 user base who will keep up and still shoot 645Z, who propably will buy next FF or this K-3III to keep them happy. If there will be more customers to 645, it is propably just good thing. Price range is just so much different. They don't have to compete with FF in the way that Fujifilm has to, just because there is actually pretty good FF line and they can develope 645Z line with in line of what they think that is needed in order to keep it high quality. (no cheap 'kit' lenses will be needed also because there are plenty of good old FA or older lenses available, with AF)).

Other than that. Good news for Fuji to keep delivering cheap things. i just did have a look of our camera shops pages and old GFX 50S was still available at there for 5.998 € price(new). Exactly the same as 645Z is going fo now(new).
09-03-2021, 09:44 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Thom Hogan has a mostly complimentary article at his Sans Mirror site about this camera and Fuji development in general:

Fujifilm Updates Mid-Level Products | Sans Mirror | Thom Hogan

QuoteQuote:
As always with Fujifilm, I appreciate their no-nonsense, emphasize the details and benefits approach to product introductions.

09-03-2021, 10:17 AM   #20
Pentaxian

09-03-2021, 11:18 PM   #21
Pentaxian

GFX50S II seven years old sensor, no better than Nikon Z7 II ?

09-08-2021, 12:48 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is this the Pentax 645 Z killer ?

09-08-2021, 02:43 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Is this the Pentax 645 Z killer ?
Ricoh is the Pentax 645Z killer.
09-08-2021, 06:41 PM   #24
mee
Veteran Member

Other take is to say modern high pixel Full Frame digital sensors and lenses are just that strong of performers today that they can compete with the smaller of the Cropped Medium Format digital sensors and associated lenses.

I wonder if we'll see proper Medium Format sized sensors? Some of the Phase One designs are pretty close. But the Pentax, Fuji, and I think Hasselblad medium format sensor is quite a bit smaller.
09-08-2021, 10:57 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
IBIS is a plus for this Fuji, not having Phase Detection AF in a $4000 camera is a negative!

Panasonic share this same problem in their mirrorless offerings.

Part of the beauty of the 645Z is that it does have a dedicated AF module, sensor pixels are not stolen to be used for focus.
09-09-2021, 10:53 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll be honest. At this price point, it's very tempting. However I really don't see gaining that much over the 645z. Same sensor, more expensive glass & fewer lens choices. IBIS, UHS-II SD is nice but not sure it's worth ditching my 645z over.
09-09-2021, 01:31 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cdd29 Quote
I'll be honest. At this price point, it's very tempting. However I really don't see gaining that much over the 645z. Same sensor, more expensive glass & fewer lens choices. IBIS, UHS-II SD is nice but not sure it's worth ditching my 645z over.
Actually, if you are willing to adapt lenses, much greater selection than Pentax, even among Pentax glass!
09-17-2021, 11:24 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Actually, if you are willing to adapt lenses, much greater selection than Pentax, even among Pentax glass!
If manual focus isn't a concern (focus peaking isn't great on GFX50s and r...), one can buy a used GFX50S or GFX50R with a set of Pentax 645 lenses and a 645 to GF adapter for about the price of a Pentax full frame + 3 lenses kit. But... hummm we have to balance the extra image quality of medium format vs the number of miss-focused images. I see medium format as a specialty format, because 2x zoom lenses aren't quite as versatile as the typical 3x or 4x full frame zooms.

---------- Post added 17-09-21 at 20:28 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cdd29 Quote
For someone already having a 645z and a few lenses, there is no much benefit/cost of getting a Fuji system. And possible the 645z focuses significantly better in low light (-3ev) , the GFX50 series can hardly lock focus with CDAF in the same available light situations (I believe, from what I've seen compared to Pentax).

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-17-2021 at 11:32 AM.
10-22-2021, 09:07 AM   #29
Veteran Member

The Fuji GFX50sII offers a more portable package at a lower weight and with IBIS. I have not used the 50sII but the but the AF in the 50s was great for work in a studio. It's not a sports or events camera, but for moving around in a studio it performed very well. I'm guessing the 50sII is improved. I'm not sure if Pentax has improved tethering on the 645z or not, but i thought the Fuji was better for working tethered. If you travel and work on location I would opt for the Fuji. The downside is that the 645z is built like a tank and the Fuji GFX50s was not on the same level as the Pentax 645z in terms of build quality. I'm sure the 50sII has improved build quality, but I doubt it will be as rugged as the 645z. If you are working slow from a tripod and you are controlling your light then the 645z is excellent. If you are traveling and work handheld, tethered then go Fuji. If you are already invested in the Pentax system, then its hard to justify switching.

I think the 50sII is more of an upgrade for existing GFX50 users and it will help put a lot of GFX bodies on the secondary market which will help Fuji sell more glass.