Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
09-04-2021, 06:47 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
High mileage brick: Argus C3

Hello,

Back in 2012 I got this Argus C3. Nicknamed "The brick" for obvious reasons, it was dirty but functional. Looks like it has a lot of miles! I did run a roll of film thru it back then. But then it went into the drawer... until now. Back then I just dusted it off. Now, with a bit more experience, I did a bit more cleaning, but without taking it apart. The lens shows some tiny little marks but looks good. The metal parts show some toning (uneven discoloration) and minor pitting so they don't shine as bright despite been cleaned and polished. The leatherette was reglued where it was getting off.
While these are relatively easy to work with, I don't want to mess with it because it is working. The rangefinder seems to be just a hair off at infinity. I'm debating whether or not fool around with the calibration adjustments, as I may end up messing it up. Will probably leave it alone.
According to my research, this serial number dates from 1947. Almost 3 quarters of a century!

As it was back then. Pic from 2012

As of now:

I'll see if I can run another roll thru it. But in the meantime, here are some examples from then.

Thanks,

09-04-2021, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Awesome restoration work, Ismael - as always; and the photos look great too! Thanks for sharing
09-04-2021, 02:35 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Mike!

Hello again,

Did you really believe me when I said I was going to leave it alone?

Spent some time and I was able to calibrate the rangefinder. The more I work with rangefinders the more I like SLRs
Those adjustment are so sensitive just touching them takes it out of whack. I think it was less than 1 degree rotation.
The rangefinder scale is fairly accurate now, from 3 ft to infinity.

Thanks,
02-19-2022, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad to see one that is being used. Beautiful pictures. I should dig mine out...maybe even start a thread for bricks.

02-19-2022, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I've often been tempted by a C3 but they weren't sold in the UK and are thus hard to find second-hand here. Plenty in the US but the shipping costs tend to prohibitive.
02-19-2022, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That looks a lot more substantial than an instamatic. The pictures show a pretty good lens.
02-19-2022, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Apologies to Ismael for hijacking his thread. This one was in the now-closed WWII museum in Natick, MA.

Argus C3 par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Edit. I forgot to say I like the rounded ends on the case which makes the camera less brick-like!

Last edited by womble; 02-19-2022 at 10:44 AM.
02-21-2022, 08:56 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Kris,

That's a very interesting C3, especially if it is claimed to be from WWII. The lens is coated, and that was not available until 1945-46 as the war was ending. But more interesting: It has an accessory shoe. That was not offered until the 1950's, but then the accessory shoes always had either 1 or 3 prominent screws and it was slightly taller. I wonder if this was modified or maybe a special model made for the war effort. The shoe seems to have a stop from the rangefinder adjusting plate. Looks too good to be a field modification job. Interesting!

Thanks,
Ismael
02-21-2022, 02:21 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unrelated...but I thought of you today as I was in an antique shop and came across a Wirgin Deluxe 6x6 ($20). It worked fine and the bellows was good but the front nameplate was missing so I passed on it. I did pick up a mint condition Tamron Adapt-a-matic 200/3.5 in Konica mount with cap, case and a Tamron brand uv filter for $25. I don't have a Konica but I have a Nikon F, Pentax M42 and Exakta mount.

02-21-2022, 07:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice work as usual Ismael.

The Argus C3 helped popularize the 35mm format.
About 2 million units were sold.

I have never owned a C3 but I once purchased a used Argus C4 (1951).
The shutter was so loud I was afraid to use it. It sounded like a gunshot!

Chris
02-22-2022, 12:13 PM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

@ismaelg - I couldn't hold off any longer... I just pulled the trigger on an Argus C3 From the seller's description and the photos, it's apparently in very good condition and - allegedly - fully working at all shutter speeds, lens diaphragm OK, smooth focus adjustment etc. Looking at the info available online, it seems to be a C3 Colormatic from 1954-1957, as the shutter speed dial has coloured numbers and there's no ASA reminder on the back cover. A very common model, I understand, but that's fine. It wasn't badly priced - although they seem to fetch more here in the UK than the USA, perhaps due to their relative rarity on this side of the pond...

Seller's pic (one of many) below...
Attached Images

02-22-2022, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

This thread isn't helping my GAS. I missed out on a C3 this afternoon (not the one in the previous post!). I ought to wait until my next trip stateside, they do fetch a premium this side of the pond.
02-22-2022, 12:31 PM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
This thread isn't helping my GAS. I missed out on a C3 this afternoon (not the one in the previous post!). I ought to wait until my next trip stateside, they do fetch a premium this side of the pond.
I was probably looking at that same one yesterday, but since there were several bidders I figured it would go up in price towards the auction end, beyond what I was prepared to pay...
03-13-2022, 09:59 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
And if you buy it in the States, you can say, "I bought it in a strange, exotic country very different from this one...", which is cooler than "I bought it from eBay..."

My Fed-2 has so much more to it because I bought it in St. Petersburg, vs. the Revue 4 I bought locally.

That said, I've not had good luck with the C3s (or the C4) I've had.
They are optically not great, and the mechanics are, well, primitive compared to anything postwar Japanese or European.
Also, I am not Ismael, so there's that

-Eric