Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2009, 06:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
canon interview worth reading

Q&A: Canon helps usher in the video SLR era | Underexposed - CNET News

Some good info as to what might be on the horizon for all DSLR's.

04-11-2009, 07:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote

Thanks and sorry. Sorry because I cannot go further than the 3rd question. I fell aslep.

Rui
04-11-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I read that the other day when it first posted elsewhere

What I found interesting is Westfall mentioned Nikon & Sony but I don't recall any mention of Pentax , Olympus , Samsung dslr products.

I like Chuck, he opened up alot of the Canon FD archives in 1994. Its handy to have an expert answer your camera questions. I don't know of any other manufacturer that has a Westfall tech guy.

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote

04-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
wow...this I didn't know:
"The Canon 5D mk II already has a big dial on it which selects Aperture Priority (Av), Shutter Priority (Tv), Fully Automatic ("Green Box") and Manual (M) modes. Why Canon decided to disable that dial and give the user ZERO control over video, is beyond me. "

Lots of griping in the comments about how in video mode, the camera decides what aperture to use. The XTi comment is pretty funny too...funny how the K20D had 20fps recording as well, though not HD ;-)

04-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The answer to one "why?"

Canon had planned to launch 5DMarkII at PMA Vegas 2009. Instead they moved up the date by several months & launched it a week after D90 from Nikon. Thats why its typically out of stock at credible vendors. So HD in 5DII is rather limited but doesn't suffer from the "jello effects" the nikon suffers from. Some say a future firmware will dial in manual focus according to a couple pro video websites I drop in on. But still image stabilized motor sounds do record also. It really should have articulated screen too and that will not be a simple firmware fix. G1 HD or as its now called GH1 is issuing with a silent image stabilized lens and silent autofocus too both dialed in for HD & has 2nd generation articulated screen. Canon and Nikon both will play catch up to Panasonic unless the GH1 turns out to be a dud.

For me I am waiting for the wave of articulated viewscreen dslrs to hit across all price points. Nikon's budget dslr is set to be announced in a few days: 4-14 most everywhere & 4-16 in China , its just a question when D700x or 5D Mark III launch as to when it's included. People have already hacked their D700 to shoot video. I'd be surprised if either budget full frames upgrades were launched without articulated screens.

As far as new budget rebel, I got no clue. I don't follow the low end canon cameras. I'd rather get a 2nd K20D instead, but still I will likely wait a couple years and enjoy what I've got while waiting for dslr technology to take a big step instead of more baby steps.

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
wow...this I didn't know:
"The Canon 5D mk II already has a big dial on it which selects Aperture Priority (Av), Shutter Priority (Tv), Fully Automatic ("Green Box") and Manual (M) modes. Why Canon decided to disable that dial and give the user ZERO control over video, is beyond me. "

Lots of griping in the comments about how in video mode, the camera decides what aperture to use. The XTi comment is pretty funny too...funny how the K20D had 20fps recording as well, though not HD ;-)
04-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
People have already hacked their D700 to shoot video.
Hmm? Do you mean using HDMI out, live view and a camcorder with HDMI in, or has someone actually hacked the D700 to shoot video.
04-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Heres the linky to D700 video

Nikon D700 video recording | Nikon Rumors

QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
Hmm? Do you mean using HDMI out, live view and a camcorder with HDMI in, or has someone actually hacked the D700 to shoot video.
04-11-2009, 05:47 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
What I found interesting is Westfall mentioned Nikon & Sony but I don't recall any mention of Pentax , Olympus , Samsung dslr products.
That's because these brands are part of the insignificant segment of market in Mr. Westfall view. They are the others, the little players, those inside the margin of error.
Is he right ? I think he is. Unfortunately.

04-11-2009, 07:32 PM   #9

There isn't alot of information in it. Besides the GPS comment, I personally don't care about the gimmicky features like OLED, JEPG XK, SDXC, etc etc.

And he basically said Canon is ready but won't be the first one to offer FF body in the 50D/D300/A700/K20D space, well not big surprise here.
04-12-2009, 04:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
There isn't alot of information in it. Besides the GPS comment, I personally don't care about the gimmicky features like OLED, JEPG XK, SDXC, etc etc.
JPEG XR isn't a gimmick. This will finally give us 16-bit processed images and correspondingly large color spaces. It's definitely the way things should go. The question is: will Microsoft make good on their promise to open the patents?
04-12-2009, 04:46 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by huqedato Quote
That's because these brands are part of the insignificant segment of market in Mr. Westfall view. They are the others, the little players, those inside the margin of error.
Is he right ? I think he is. Unfortunately.
Yes but at the same time, if Canon rep in an interview seemed to be scared by those 'little players', people would laugh at the poor guy.

Pentax wouldn't admit they'd be scared by anyone else either.

This is just marketing perception.
04-12-2009, 05:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
JPEG XR isn't a gimmick. This will finally give us 16-bit processed images and correspondingly large color spaces.
And hopefully this will also force them to read data off the chip w/ more precision so we have more dynamic range when we push the blacks (though the designers are going to go through hell trying to deal w/ RF noise inside the camera :-)
04-12-2009, 07:58 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
JPEG XR isn't a gimmick. This will finally give us 16-bit processed images and correspondingly large color spaces. It's definitely the way things should go. The question is: will Microsoft make good on their promise to open the patents?
Not only that but compressing algorythms are better -> smaller file for same quality or better quality at a given file size.