Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #16
emr

Do these adapters have lenses to have focusing to infinity? Does it effect picture quality visibly?

06-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Do these adapters have lenses to have focusing to infinity? Does it effect picture quality visibly?
The one I have for the 50mm FD macro doesn't focus to infinity. I don't think it effects picture quality regarding the macros. I would consider it dead even with the EF 50mm macro I have. The advantage the EF has though is the FD is F3.5 while the EF is F2.8. The FD is built better.

Edit: I think Canon made 2 adapters. The one I have for macro work (Part # FD-EOS) and another one (part # C54-2131) for the following lenses. This one allows for infinity focus but has a 1.26c multiplier effect. These things were relatively expensive when they came out and I have heard they are even more so now.

• FD 200mm 1.8 L
  • FD 200mm 2.8 RF
  • FD 300mm 2.8 L
  • FD 300mm 4
  • FD 300mm 4 L
  • FD 400mm 2.8 L
  • FD 400mm 4.5
  • FD 500mm 4.5 L
  • FD 600mm 4.5
  • FD 800mm 5.6 L
  • FD 50-300mm 4.5 L
  • FD 85-300mm 4.5
  • FD 150-600mm 5.6 L
There are some 3rd party ones out there but they are a mixed bag and are generally not very good from what I understand. This is supposed to be on of the better ones but not quite as good as the Canon. http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/canon_fd_eos_adapters.html

Here's another link on these things: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/fdeos.htm

Last edited by Blue; 06-11-2009 at 02:45 PM.
06-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It is ironic that while most lenses of other brands could be fitted on the EF mount via non-optical adaptors, their own FD lenses cannot. But then the FD mount was so complex and small, I think Canon made the right decision ditching it.
06-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Too bad. It seems FD mount glass can't be used much today except on older film bodies. Lots of fine old FD lenses available for that reason.
There are some like I think the 800/5.6 that have enough tolerance in infinity focus that they'll work on the EF mount bodies without an optical adapter.

06-11-2009, 04:41 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
It is ironic that while most lenses of other brands could be fitted on the EF mount via non-optical adaptors, their own FD lenses cannot. But then the FD mount was so complex and small, I think Canon made the right decision ditching it.
What is ironic is the Canon one with no optics (FD-EOS) doens't support infinity focus. The reason I have it is to use the Canon bellows unit which is very nice. Since I had the FD macro lens, it was a plus.
06-11-2009, 05:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
What is ironic is the Canon one with no optics (FD-EOS) doens't support infinity focus. The reason I have it is to use the Canon bellows unit which is very nice. Since I had the FD macro lens, it was a plus.
The reason for that is that the register distance of FD was 42mm while EF is 44mm. So unless the FD lens has enough 'slop' past infinity it won't work on EF at oo unless you can somehow shove it 2mm deeper into the body.
06-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #22
Forum Member

FD register distance and the 4/3 system

1) if you friend wants to use the FD glass with a film body, like others noted, have him use an FD body. Cheap and excellent: among the best: A1 and new F1. I've used an A1 for the last 5 years (until my K20D came). It's small, light but not too light and has great usability. It will measure even pretty dim light levels. The newer F1 is a bit higher end and built like a tank, just as the older F1. I used an FTb1 since the mid-70's and it is still working well. Built almost as tought as the F1's.

2) RELATIVELY GOOD NEWS FOR YOUR FRIEND: a) you can buy one of a couple of third-party adapters that have excellent review to use FD glass on *some* of the 4/3 bodies e.g. from Panasonic or Olympus. You will get a smallish DSLR out of this, and everything will be manual: focussing, stop-down metering. There will be a 2x crop factor - 50mm lens will show the field of view of a 100mm lens.

RELATIVELY GOOD NEWS FOR YOUR FRIEND: b) if you friend wants to use FD glass on a very compact body without optical viewfinder - have him check out the Olympus E-P1 announced just these days:

The Online Photographer: Olympus E-P1 'Digital Pen' Officially Announced

3) To use FD glass on EF bodies is only usable for close-up and macro work, as without adaptors you will lose infinity focus. Not the greatest solution.

4) To use FD glass on ED bodies while preserving infinity focus, as quoted below, the incompatibility is in good part due to the distance between the end of the lens and the focal plane in the body. Cheap adapters will degrade performance too much. The Canon adaptors were built in very small numbers over 20 years ago, and run at least $1000 on ebay if you can find them - and you loose an F-stop or so. (And there is a bit of cropping).

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
The reason for that is that the register distance of FD was 42mm while EF is 44mm. So unless the FD lens has enough 'slop' past infinity it won't work on EF at oo unless you can somehow shove it 2mm deeper into the body.