Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #46
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
At those speeds, image stabilisation on either camera isn't going to come into it.

unless the user has unsteady hands. SR/IS can make a bigger difference than one might think, because more than shutterspeed and ISO come into play for the possibility of blur, especially when we are talking about the minute differences evidenced in these two photos.

07-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #47
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by vmax84 Quote
Well, I do have to apoligize on how this thread went. I don't have the opportunity to spend much time with her camera (long story), but this weekend I finally got the chance to play around with it.

Just the fact figureing out her kit lens doesn't have shake reduction helps a lot. Amazing what "assuming" will do for a person. The shake reduction in the Pentax reallly lets me "get away" with slow shutter speeds and I've just taken it for granted I could shoot her camera like this.

Anyway, I gotta help with dinner, but really appreciate the help.

vmax84
a reason to gloat about using Pentax I guess. you could sell her 18-55 and dump that cash on the newer 18-55. it has an MSRP from canon of 199.99 EOS (SLR) Camera Systems - Standard Zoom - Standard Zoom - EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - Canon USA Consumer Products but you can certainly get it much cheaper from online retailers such as B&H or adorama. but even the new 18-55 isn't very highly regarded. it will level the playing field though. you could do the smart thing though and sell the canon equipment. buy a second Pentax body and enjoy! you could even share lenses then.
07-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
a reason to gloat about using Pentax I guess. you could sell her 18-55 and dump that cash on the newer 18-55. it has an MSRP from canon of 199.99 EOS (SLR) Camera Systems - Standard Zoom - Standard Zoom - EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - Canon USA Consumer Products but you can certainly get it much cheaper from online retailers such as B&H or adorama. but even the new 18-55 isn't very highly regarded. it will level the playing field though. you could do the smart thing though and sell the canon equipment. buy a second Pentax body and enjoy! you could even share lenses then.
Well, she wanted Canon so that's what she got. I'm sure after spending some time with it, the pictures will improve. I'm just so use to using the Pentax and getting decent shots is easier.

Anyway, here's a crappy shot (using my Pentax) of her fancy zoom. Lots to learn yet with all of this!!

vmax84

07-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #49
Veteran Member

I have the K100D and my wife has the Canon Rebel XTI..............my cameras pictures turn out much better than hers..........for some reason, her pictures most of the time turn out a little bit on the blurry side.

Where to go for help with her Canon? Thank you. Obviously, my "Chevrolet" camera is really bugging her, beating the tar out of her "Lexus" Canon.

vmax84
You mean "Subaru," right?

07-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #50
Damn Brit

You have the nerve to compare a Pentax camera to a Chevrolet? Perhaps you should buy a Canon as well.
07-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
You have the nerve to compare a Pentax camera to a Chevrolet? Perhaps you should buy a Canon as well.
Well, I ASSUMED the Canon and Nikon brands were better than Pentax, but I might have ASSUMED wrong on that one as well.

I grew up with a Pentax MG film camera and took some great shots of Germany, Austria, Switzerland when i was stationed over there back in the mid 80's.

The only thing I have against Pentax is I feel I don't have the lens selection like Nikon and Canon have.

But obviously, I really enjoy my Pentax k100d and have no intention on upgrading since i still haven't mastered this camera body yet. I would like to get a couple other lens besides my cheapo Tamron 75-300mm and Pentax kit lens. Looking at trying to find a "fast 35" and a better zoom eventually.

Thanks again for all the help.

vmax84
07-05-2009, 07:19 PM   #52
Damn Brit

Ok, I'll let you off then.

07-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #53
Veteran Member

The only thing I have against Pentax is I feel I don't have the lens selection like Nikon and Canon have.

vmax84
Are you kidding? Unless you're speaking strictly of new auto everything zooms, Canon & Nikon combined don't have a fraction of the lens selection offered by Pentax.
07-05-2009, 07:29 PM   #54
Veteran Member

As to the forgotten primary request of the OP, this forum might be what you're looking for:
Canon Digital Photography Forums - Powered by vBulletin
07-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Part of the problem is that I am VERY loyal to my Pentax stuff.........I am fairly comfortable with it, enjoy learning more about it (with many thanks to this website!!), and just don't have the time to mess with my wife's Canon (again, a long story) that much.

This thing flew over while we were out for a drive today in WI along the Lake Michigan shoreline and we came to a screaching halt and started firing away at it. Not the best pic, but it was fun to see it fly over. Shot with her 70-300 at full zoom.

Again, thanks for all the help.

vmax84
07-05-2009, 07:36 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
Are you kidding? Unless you're speaking strictly of new auto everything zooms, Canon & Nikon combined don't have a fraction of the lens selection offered by Pentax.
True............I'm more interested in the auto-focus lens.

vmax84
07-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think sometimes I'm my own worst enemy. For some reason, I like to shoot at a lower shutter speed, since I'm so afraid I won't get what I want in focus, shoot at a slower shutter speed for a greater depth of field, and that way I'll get what I want in focus.

Here's a perfect example of one of my nephews from last winter. I'm shooting at 350 on the shutter speed and probably should of had it a bit higher, since he was clippin' along pretty good.

vmax84

Edit...........my nepew in pretty good focus, with the snow flying (blurred) makes for a pretty good picture (at least I think since it shows a sense of speed), however, shooting at 350, the only thing that save me was the Pentax stabilation.............otherwise, I'm thinking my nephew would of been blurred as well to some extent.
07-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #58
Veteran Member

what brand filter does she have on those lenses?
07-05-2009, 09:59 PM   #59
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
what brand filter does she have on those lenses?
Good thought!
07-05-2009, 11:09 PM   #60
Veteran Member

True............I'm more interested in the auto-focus lens.

vmax84
Oh.

My.

God.