08-05-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

NIKON the SKY is FALLING?

Nikon Shares Drop After Company Forecasts Record Loss (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

Thom Hogan (were is your cystal ball?)

08-06-2009, 02:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any ideas why I think it's foolish to keep introducing new models, like Nikon appears to be when the economy is this bad

If they can't sell what they're already manufacturing it might just be a good idea to relax for a while and ride things out. Keeping their expenses to a minimum.
08-06-2009, 06:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Any ideas why I think it's foolish to keep introducing new models, like Nikon appears to be when the economy is this bad

If they can't sell what they're already manufacturing it might just be a good idea to relax for a while and ride things out. Keeping their expenses to a minimum.
Agreed.

Though in fairness to Nikon, I don't see much new with their new models that a simple tweak on the production line can't handle. Even possible that a big chunk of the new features are implemented via firmware.
08-06-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Adrian Owerko Quote
Wow,

sniff, sniff... this has the smell of revenge

sniff, sniff... this has the smell of retaliation

sniff, sniff... this has the smell of sour grapes

Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Pentax!....sieg Pentax!

08-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't worry, Ritz will pull them out of the hole;-)
08-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Agreed.

Though in fairness to Nikon, I don't see much new with their new models that a simple tweak on the production line can't handle. Even possible that a big chunk of the new features are implemented via firmware.
I know that it's existing technology but the D300s now does Video. Which I honestly can't see them bringing the needed customers in.
I can't see that being a firmware upgrade, although it would be nice.

I would imagine there's people out there whom can still afford their lower level cameras, so that might be a better area to pump some extra $ into.
Imagine how many beginners would love getting their hands on a D90S (S stands for In Body Stabilization) if Nikon came out with it.
08-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #7
emr

Well, the fact is that Nikon is one of the greatest camera makers and I'd hate to see them in trouble. Their financial problems would probably not help Pentax, but hurt the whole camera business and customers in general.
08-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
Don't worry, Ritz will pull them out of the hole;-)
I'm sure that Ritz being in the hole to them for millions of dollars in gear they're now possibly flooding the market with at discount prices... Isn't helping the bottom line.

I've certainly got no ill will toward Nikon or desire to see them fail (I don't think that's anywhere near what these losses mean, they have a lot out there, and it may make sense given this confluence of a video fad and poor economy to just take the losses and keep on maintaining their brand position than to, say, freak out and stand still. Probably they've realized that this may no longer be the new-model-yearly kind of market it has been, though)

But then again, I think this news certainly says something about the claims of those who come and intone prognostications of doom about Pentax not being a big enough brand or whatever.

08-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm no financial analyst, and (perhaps not coincidentally) I don't have much faith in public accounting. There doesn't appear to be any good reason for this loss, which I interpret as a record-keeping loss rather than a destroyed-warehouse loss. They probably could have spread the loss out over several years. But with the economy looking better, it seems reasonable to take a large hit now--and, then, over the next several quarters and years, they'll be looking better than competitors who did spread their losses. CSLA cites an absence of catalysts to drive up share prices, according to Forbes. I cite an absence of catalysts to drive down real profits.

I wish Nikon well, along with the rest of the camera industry.
08-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #10
Damn Brit

Consider yourself annexed.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Wow,

sniff, sniff... this has the smell of revenge

sniff, sniff... this has the smell of retaliation

sniff, sniff... this has the smell of sour grapes

Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Pentax!....sieg Pentax!
08-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A revenue drop of only 26%. That sounds good by comparison to some numbers I have been reading for much larger and stronger companies. Things are bad folks. If Nikon is in trouble, the whole photography industry is in trouble.

Steve
08-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The problem I see with NIKON is that it is a consumer based company.. That Needs parts from other manufactures for it's DSLR system.. Sensors from SONY.. Optical glass blanks from Hoya or another optical glass company...These are the most important parts to a DSLR System. Nikon makes semiconductors which samsung, intel and others produce.. Pentax has Hoya behind it to give them the best optical glass for the K mount system.. Samsung, Canon, Sony & Panasonic make there own sensors. Hoya Pentax make there own glass!
08-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adrian Owerko Quote
The problem I see with NIKON is that it is a consumer based company.. That Needs parts from other manufactures for it's DSLR system.. Sensors from SONY..
Nikon has been making their own sensors for a year now.
here's the link.
08-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Nikon has been making their own sensors for a year now.
here's the link.
Yes you are right...But has outsource production of LBCAST wafers.. Only companys like SONY, Samsung, Canon ect.. are true sensor makers.. Making them from the ground up wafer stage.. Like Hoya Pentax is a true lens maker... From RAW glass blank to final end user product..
08-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #15
Pentaxian

The announcement doesn't actually mention the camera production division. I think it's the photo-lithographic division. Still, a wound bleeding this much will after the budgets of the other divisions.

Dan.