Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another FF Canon? The 7D?

Interesting rumor update:

I guy who works at a place saw a sales code for a Canon 7D kit with 28-135 IS USM lens. Thats a full frame lens for those not up on their Canon gear.

The Canon 7D rumor has been arround for a while now. Most of the buzz has been that it will be the replacement to the 50D.

Now it looks like maybe it is a model under the 5D.

Here is the link to the rumor:

Canon Rumors Blog Archive 7D, G11, S90, SX-A, SX-B Show Up at Best Buy?

With Sony looking like they are about to release a lower cost FF with the A850, I can see this as a good move by Canon.

How long before we start to see sub $2000.00 USD FF cameras?

08-15-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

As for the rumors, only time will tell.

I will say this much--if Canon were to make a smaller, under $2000 FF body, I'd definitely be interested. I really don't need all the MPs of the 5DMkII, but I'd like more than the original 5D--say somewhere in the range of 15MP or so for this new camera. If Canon were to actually bring something like this to the marketplace, I wouldn't be able to afford it right away, but once I've got my lens lineup in place, I'd definitely start saving.

Heather
08-15-2009, 07:48 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could Canon have been any more overt in taking on Pentax's K-7 with their own 7D?
If it's true, I'm sure they'll create an unfair advantage that will ensure people turn their heads towards the 7D and away from the K-7. Conniving thieves, I say.

Not that I really care that much
08-15-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, the 7D's listed in the UPC database:

Apparently to be the replacement for the 5D and priced at $2700. But this rumour has been alive at least since Oct 2007:
Canon EOS 7D imminent? | Crave - CNET

Though here's more detail on the recent 7D rumours...
Canon-EOS-7D | Photo Rumors

08-15-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
and
Veteran Member

afaik the 7d rumors were regarding it as a 5d replacement, but it turned out to be called 5d mkII instaed of 7D. they have been going on for a long time
08-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
afaik the 7d rumors were regarding it as a 5d replacement, but it turned out to be called 5d mkII instaed of 7D. they have been going on for a long time
You'are right. The 7D rumors started life as the 5D replacement. I find it interesting that they have not gone away.

There have also been the rumor that the 50D replacement will be the called the 7D to change Canon's number scheme to look less like Nikon's.

For sure the persistent 7D rumor could be the combination of fake info and wishfull Canon users. But if Sony releases a low cost FF, I expect Canon will be soon to follow.

Now that FF bodies are all at about $2700, how much longer can Pentax afford to wait before releaseing a FF body? They will need time to get the lenses in place to support FF. Can we expect to see FF bodies with a released price of under $2000.00 in the next two years?
08-15-2009, 10:24 AM   #7
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote

Can we expect to see FF bodies with a released price of under $2000.00 in the next two years?
Of course! Let's review the camera market as of August 2007 (two years ago):
  • Sony only had ONE dslr, the A100.
  • Nikon releases the D300 and the D3.
  • Canon releases the 1dsmk3, 40D, G9.

Compare that to what we have now:
  • Sony - A900 at $2699, and a rumored A850 coming out soon in the low $2K's
  • Nikon - D700 at $2699 ($2399 at Amazon, Buy.com)
  • Canon - 5dmk2 at $2699 (FF with video)

It's almost a given that you'll see FF cameras at $2K in two years.

08-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

DA Star lenses work with APS-C sized sensors only right? And maybe you'll never know, maybe Pentax and Samsung are working on a secret APS-C weapon where a state of the art APS-C sized sensor will rival a FF sensor. Or they might release a state-of-the-art FF sensor that will digitally adjust itself to work with APS-C sized lenses like the DA sets.
08-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
DA Star lenses work with APS-C sized sensors only right? And maybe you'll never know, maybe Pentax and Samsung are working on a secret APS-C weapon where a state of the art APS-C sized sensor will rival a FF sensor. Or they might release a state-of-the-art FF sensor that will digitally adjust itself to work with APS-C sized lenses like the DA sets.
The second is most likely what'll happen. I believe that It's basicly what Nikon is doing.

There is just soo much image quality you can squeeze out of APS-C.
It's really no different than film in that aspect, 35mm can only offer you so much then your stuck moving up to Medium Format.
08-15-2009, 11:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Exactly, there is only so much you can squeeze out of APS-C. Eventually it will cost the camera makers less to increase the sensor size, then to make a high pixel density APS-C sensor. Sure they could cram photosites on until they reach point and shoot densities, but it will cost them money to improve the high ISO image quality we expect.

I didn't realise you could get a D700 for only 2399. Thats about the cost of buying all three FA ltds.

Interesting times for those of us that like to watch the new gear releases...
08-16-2009, 08:37 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Could Canon have been any more overt in taking on Pentax's K-7 with their own 7D?
If it's true, I'm sure they'll create an unfair advantage that will ensure people turn their heads towards the 7D and away from the K-7. Conniving thieves, I say.

Not that I really care that much
Konica Minolta should sue!
08-17-2009, 06:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
As for the rumors, only time will tell.

I will say this much--if Canon were to make a smaller, under $2000 FF body, I'd definitely be interested. I really don't need all the MPs of the 5DMkII, but I'd like more than the original 5D--say somewhere in the range of 15MP or so for this new camera. If Canon were to actually bring something like this to the marketplace, I wouldn't be able to afford it right away, but once I've got my lens lineup in place, I'd definitely start saving.

Heather
Want a 15+ MP FF body under $2k?

How about a used 1Ds Mark II? Can be had for $2k or less, pro build and autofocus, excellent battery life, and can be used to hammer nails if needed.
08-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #13
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You'are right. The 7D rumors started life as the 5D replacement. I find it interesting that they have not gone away.

There have also been the rumor that the 50D replacement will be the called the 7D to change Canon's number scheme to look less like Nikon's.

For sure the persistent 7D rumor could be the combination of fake info and wishfull Canon users. But if Sony releases a low cost FF, I expect Canon will be soon to follow.

Now that FF bodies are all at about $2700, how much longer can Pentax afford to wait before releaseing a FF body? They will need time to get the lenses in place to support FF. Can we expect to see FF bodies with a released price of under $2000.00 in the next two years?
No, not at all. They already have 6 lenses to start out: the 2 D-FA macros, the 3 limiteds, and the FA 50mm f1.4 which all work on FF. All they need are a few zooms, even some rebadged Tamrons like they've already done in the past and you're good to go with over a half dozen lens line-up. Think of how many more Limiteds would sell if they came out with FF? IMO, the well known quality of the limiteds in the photographic world, combined with a well priced FF body would get a lot of other brand converts. About 10x more than what the K-7 will get.
08-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #14
edl
Veteran Member

I didn't realise you could get a D700 for only 2399. Thats about the cost of buying all three FA ltds.

Interesting times for those of us that like to watch the new gear releases...
The D700 price has been all over the place. Amazon had it last month for $2325, but it slowly crept up to $2399. Buy.com had it at $2200 two weeks ago, it's $2458 now.

I think the price dropped in July because people were waiting for a D700x? Or excess inventory? I actually don't think the D700 price will move much from current levels, even if a D700x was around because that will probably come in around $3500-4000.
08-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #15

FF is for amateurs, bring on the MF... lol

EDIT: its not a FF, my bad...

Last edited by ltdstar; 09-07-2009 at 06:41 PM.