Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2009, 11:38 PM   #1
Forum Member

Canon losing interest in the megapixel race?

Looks like Canon is saying no to the megapixel craze with its latest enthusiast compact. Interesting, as they are the last company I would expect to reduce the resoultion (by 4MP!) on one of their key cameras. I hope this is a sign of things to come in the industry.

Canon unveils PowerShot G11 high-end compact: Digital Photography Review

I wonder if the new G11 will deliver on its claims...I had little interest in the G10 and was pretty set on getting an LX3 as my compact but this may be another reasonably priced option (the Oly EP-1 and Ricoh GR3 being a bit rich for my blood). If only Pentax made something in this class!

Anyway, I'm pleased to see Canon is marketing something to enthusiasts instead of sheep. Anyone else a bit interested in this camera?

08-28-2009, 11:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are rumors that the 7D will be 18 mp. But then if that is more or less depends on the sensor size. APS-C then it is more. FF then it is less.
08-29-2009, 12:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

MF film is said to have 60 mp and saturation/color/density to match...??wtf??if so...perhaps the 645d isn't so far out of the gate?
08-29-2009, 05:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I read the reviews and noticed the remarks about them concentrating on lower noise and better image quality rather than just marketing the cameras as more megapixels. I think they have had plenty of bad feedback from customers who went out and bought the new more megapixels camera that didn't produce better pictures than their old one and quite possibly worse.

08-29-2009, 06:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/70468-canon-drops-gauntlet-new-g11-s90.html

I think it's funny how Canon (or any other maker) is marketing as lower MP, but better low light and less noise, etc. I am not sure what the percentage is of people who actually know what low light photography is or how to take photos in low light anyway. I am constantly amazed on the rate of flashes in lower light places versus knowing how to capture a screen in low light, no flash, hold steady, which settings of your camera to use etc. I can sit down near the base of the Acropolis in Athens on any given evening and amuse myself watching people snapping photo after photo of the Acropolis from a few hundred meters, using their flash and always getting something that looks like a faint and barely lit subject in a black background.

I guess we should applaud the backing down of the MP race...but unless they actually improve the sensors, going back to 2005-6 era numbers of MP's isn't really much to get excited about...yet.

Jas
08-29-2009, 06:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I wouldnt mind a 4mp sensor made with todays technology in a p&s, if I wanna print large I bring my dslr.
08-29-2009, 07:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
I wouldnt mind a 4mp sensor made with todays technology in a p&s, if I wanna print large I bring my dslr.
They already have that camera, although it was never intended as every mans camera.
Sigma's DP lineup gives you a 4.6 x 3 mp sensor (or is it 14 mp ) which happens to be the same sensor as on their DSLR lineup.
And guess what, several people have printed off Stunning A0 sized images with it

08-29-2009, 08:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
[url]

I guess we should applaud the backing down of the MP race...but unless they actually improve the sensors, going back to 2005-6 era numbers of MP's isn't really much to get excited about...yet.

Jas
Well, they DID improve the sensor. The G11 sensor is a new Sony design that's looking pretty promising.
08-29-2009, 08:39 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Well, they DID improve the sensor. The G11 sensor is a new Sony design that's looking pretty promising.
im actually more intrigued by the camera design than I am the sensor. the G series has had a reputation for being very good anyhow, I cant imagine they made it that much better. but im really excited about the type of designs that are starting to hit the market. but I still don't like EVIL/EVF too much. which is why I rather like the G11 and am hoping good things about the rumored PEN 2? with an optical viewfinder.
08-29-2009, 08:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'd be fine with an EVF if it's as good as the G1 -- in fact, if they make one you can add on to the successor to the EP-1 I might finally cave in and get a compact.

As for the G11, if they made it a stop better then I think a lot of people would willingly trade the 15MP for 10. We'll see once they do some real world testing.
08-29-2009, 08:52 AM   #11
Banned

I'd be fine with an EVF if it's as good as the G1 -- in fact, if they make one you can add on to the successor to the EP-1 I might finally cave in and get a compact.

As for the G11, if they made it a stop better then I think a lot of people would willingly trade the 15MP for 10. We'll see once they do some real world testing.
ill be watching it for sure. im not sure I could bring myself to buy a canon but the PEN has definitely had my interest for quite some time. its like 60's amateur photography in the digital age. im glad canon and others are looking to things other than the simple P&S and the SLR. and im also glad (who wouldn't be?) that IQ is becoming more important than MP's. only good things can come from that.

it may not quite be an M8 or M9 but something like a PEN with my tiny little Auto-Takumar 35 and 55mm lenses...man that would be just awesome.
08-29-2009, 09:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The one problem I have with the u4/3 cameras is that I can't realistically use any of the older glass I really like. Would be wonderful to use the 35mm or 50mm Leitz glass, but with a field of view equivalent to a 70mm or 100mm lens in 35mm format that's just a little too narrow.

Still, it's tempting to get together with one of the newer 17mm or 20mm lenses they offer.
08-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #13
Banned

The one problem I have with the u4/3 cameras is that I can't realistically use any of the older glass I really like. Would be wonderful to use the 35mm or 50mm Leitz glass, but with a field of view equivalent to a 70mm or 100mm lens in 35mm format that's just a little too narrow.

Still, it's tempting to get together with one of the newer 17mm or 20mm lenses they offer.
yes, the crop factor is a turn off for sure. hopefully someone will take these examples and use an APS-C sensor. (I have been keeping my eye in Ricoh for this) but my 55 wouldn't be too bad for some portrait work. its all really neat though. I would be able to have as much fun as I do using my Petri's with the convenience of digital. the lenses for the PEN are really neat, but I dont think I could justify the price to purchase lenses that I likely wouldn't have as much fun using as I would my manual glass. you have to make sacrifices somewhere I guess.
08-29-2009, 05:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think what it really is is the megapixel race was over before these compacts even got past ten, ...marketing just didn't know it yet. The 'race' obviously stopped mattering and even being counterproductive a long time ago for that size of sensor. So, it's a laudable move, I say.

And, yeah, the crop factor on u4/3 is kind of a deal-killer. You can convert all kinds of old glass for it, but it generally doesn't turn into anything interesting for me. What, I put a heavy 35/2 on one, plus adapter, have a not-very impressive short portrait? Doesn't make much sense. APS-c, though, that could do things.
08-29-2009, 05:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
They already have that camera, although it was never intended as every mans camera.
Sigma's DP lineup gives you a 4.6 x 3 mp sensor (or is it 14 mp ) which happens to be the same sensor as on their DSLR lineup.
And guess what, several people have printed off Stunning A0 sized images with it
i know you're a big Foveon guy but the camera's interface is slow, unintuitive, random image problems, desaturation at high iso, lens is slow, rather sad a camera that had a lot of potential and interest came out as a let down