Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2016, 07:28 AM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,314
I didn't see anyone mentioning the various Leica clones: Nicca, Leotax, Tanack (Tanaka Optical) in Japan. Nicca was bought by Yashica. USA had the Kardon Leica copy, and England the Reid. Another Japanese post war copy was called the Minolta 35. Back in the 1930s 3 Japanese men started the Precision Optical Instrument Laboratory and made a Leica copy called the Kwanon. Soon after changed the camera's name to Canon, and used lenses made by Nippon Kogaku. I wonder what became of both those companies.
The first Leica clone of the Leica II was made about 1933 in Russia- the Fed.
I'm lacking the Kardon and Reid - just too rare and expensive. (Same for the pre-war Canon)

02-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #92
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 898
Werra - coveted one when I was at school
Edixa - I still have a Prismat, and I think it still works
Periflex - the founder of the company died very recently
02-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
grhazelton's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jonesboro, GA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,886
Bronica anyone??

Did anyone mention Bronica? I have a Bronica S2a, a heavy hunk of stainless steel. Nikkor lenses - later they made their own under the Zenzanon label. Often called the Japanese Hasselblad. Or perhaps the Hasselblad is the Swedish Bronica.
02-12-2016, 01:42 AM   #94
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 898
Didn't realise how old this thread is until I looked this morning!

Add Ilford to the list as they used to make a range of fairly good but relatively cheap 35mm rangefinder-type cameras in the 50's-60's - the company still exists after it was brought back to revive their film and photographic paper products, but no cameras that I know of.

02-12-2016, 05:14 AM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,314
Not all Ilford cameras were relatively cheap. They briefly made the Ilford Witness, which was a joint design by former Leica and Zeiss employees that combined features of Leica and Contax. Extremely rare, as an expensive camera didn't fit the Ilford market. Last one I heard coming for auction sold for around $10K.
02-12-2016, 05:39 AM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 37,431
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Did anyone mention Bronica? I have a Bronica S2a, a heavy hunk of stainless steel. Nikkor lenses - later they made their own under the Zenzanon label. Often called the Japanese Hasselblad. Or perhaps the Hasselblad is the Swedish Bronica.
Bronica was mentioned earlier. I noticed because I also had an S2a with 75mm f2.8 Nikkor. The focus mechanism, operated by a dial on the right, caused easily seen tilting of the lens (poorly machined). The mirror on mine started sticking in the down position when the camera was less than two years old with less than 100 rolls of film used. Had to invert the camera and give it a spanking to get the mirror back in position. I had an adapter that allowed mounting of short-mount Nikkor telephoto lenses of which I had one, a 250mm f4. Apparently that optic has become a collector's item worth far more now than when I bought it.

I think that Widelux is now defunct and not yet mentioned.

---------- Post added 02-12-16 at 07:49 AM ----------

A few still cameras were made by Bell & Howell and Keystone, but I don't think Wollensak ever made a film camera.
Two others: Stereo Realist and Robot.

There was a spectacularly featured camera (for the time) called Zunow, but I don't think it ever got further than a prototype because of poor financing.

Sorry if these have already been mentioned.
02-12-2016, 01:30 PM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
grhazelton's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jonesboro, GA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,886
Bronica S2a

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Bronica was mentioned earlier. I noticed because I also had an S2a with 75mm f2.8 Nikkor. The focus mechanism, operated by a dial on the right, caused easily seen tilting of the lens (poorly machined). The mirror on mine started sticking in the down position when the camera was less than two years old with less than 100 rolls of film used. Had to invert the camera and give it a spanking to get the mirror back in position. I had an adapter that allowed mounting of short-mount Nikkor telephoto lenses of which I had one, a 250mm f4. Apparently that optic has become a collector's item worth far more now than when I bought it.
.
Ummm....My Bronica S2a has film advance knob/crank on the right, shutter speed knob on the left. Focusing of wide angle, normal, and teles up to at least 200mm was by a helical which "comes" with the camera. That helical could be removed to reveal a huge bayonet mount for really long lenses, which had their own focus helicals. My example has no discernable play with my 50mm Nikkor, the standard lens, and the 200mm Nikkor.
02-12-2016, 01:38 PM   #98
Pentaxian
pete-tarmigan's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Conception Bay South, New-fun-land
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,203
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Bronica
Kowa
The Kowa name is still on spotting scopes and binoculars. Does that count?

02-12-2016, 02:15 PM   #99
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 4,047
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
The Kowa name is still on spotting scopes and binoculars. Does that count?
And lenses too: the Prominars.
02-12-2016, 05:24 PM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 37,431
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Ummm....My Bronica S2a has film advance knob/crank on the right, shutter speed knob on the left. Focusing of wide angle, normal, and teles up to at least 200mm was by a helical which "comes" with the camera. That helical could be removed to reveal a huge bayonet mount for really long lenses, which had their own focus helicals. My example has no discernable play with my 50mm Nikkor, the standard lens, and the 200mm Nikkor.
Mine must have been an S2 rather than S2a. It had a focus knob on the right concentric with the winding crank, but as I noted, the gearing was poor so the lens tilted up slightly focusing, down slightly focusing back. I think that's why they switched to helical.
02-13-2016, 07:46 AM   #101
Senior Member
sandbasser's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Riverside, CA USA
Posts: 143
I, too miss Topcon. I had an RE Super that I purchased when I was in the Air Force around 1969. My first serious camera. It weighed a ton, had a huge 58mm f1.4 lens (they used a modified Exacta mount) match-needle metering (I think the meter was etched into the mirror), interchangeable finders and focusing screens... A true 'system' camera. Sadly it was stolen from my car at college. I've seen several for sale on eBay etc but have not been tempted, yet...
02-28-2016, 03:35 PM   #102
Pentaxian
kyteflyer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,425
Hanimex? I once had an instant Hanimex. It was terrible.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
brands, bronica, camera, film, hasselblad, lenses, mirror, nikkor, position
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Favorite Point & Shoot Camera (Pentax or other brands)??? jas32 General Talk 17 11-01-2011 06:32 AM
Less known brands ytterbium Ask B&H Photo! 3 06-01-2010 08:14 AM
Reasons to own camera bodies from different brands dragonfly Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 23 01-25-2010 04:17 PM
dc.watch 2009 digital camera brands' poll & JCII historic camera award yakiniku Pentax News and Rumors 10 12-29-2009 09:05 PM
Old M42 Off Brands Halco Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 11-13-2009 10:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:01 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top