Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #31
Veteran Member

I don't own a digital Canon camera but I'm seriously concidering selling my K20d along with all my lenses and switching over to Canon. Dispite what Pentaxian's say, those who win awards are those photographers who have canon or nikon. I'm just wondering where I can pick up a decent canon body and some good glass pretty cheap.

09-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Alright mods, you know who to ban now. I got them all in a single thread for you.
09-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Elwood, I'm not sure of that logic... I mean, I just bought a Canon, and I've taken some nice shots, so... where are my awards?

Most of those pros who shoot with Canon and Nikon do so due to their large support networks and the wide availability of equipment, not to mention the top-end products which smaller companies generally don't quite provide anything to match. The reason they win awards is because they know what they're doing, and they could do it with any of today's cameras if they had to.
09-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hey Elwood Quote
I don't own a digital Canon camera but I'm seriously concidering selling my K20d along with all my lenses and switching over to Canon. Dispite what Pentaxian's say, those who win awards are those photographers who have canon or nikon. I'm just wondering where I can pick up a decent canon body and some good glass pretty cheap.
ROFL!

You do realize that a camera brand doesn't automatically make you take great images/win contests right? The fact is there are very few pentaxians compared to canikonians (yes I just made that up), and much much fewer actually entering contests (sadly). The camera is a tool.

I wish you the best of luck nevertheless....

"searches for rolling eyes smiley"

09-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #35
Veteran Member

@er1kksen - dang you beat me to it
09-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I've rarely seen any pentax users winning major awards in magazines and such. It's all Canon or Nikon. Plus every Canon user gets great shots where my K20d only gets me average shots. Metering sucks, have to continuely use flash, where canon users have great pictures. Not impressed with k20d
09-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #37

* Sits in anticipation while eating popcorn*
09-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I got some Canon in my kit

I got some Canon in my kit

Eos-3 Film body & 14mm 2.8 Tamron. I bought like new "used" to pass time till 5D dropped in price then:

5D Classic x2
16-35mm 2.8L II
24-70 2.8L
50mm 2.5 Macro
100mm2.8USM Macro
70-200mm 2.8L IS
300mm f4L IS
1.4xII TC
2xII TC
12mm Extension Tube
25mm Extension Tube

Everything I bought new since March 2008 when Pentax K20D still sat at $1,299 and I was ticked off that K20D didn't start at $919 like K10D did. Instead of bitch'n about the K20D $1,299 launch point I voted with my wallet.

Most Everything Eos I bought is up in price, the 70-200mm 2.8 IS is $500 more today than I paid last year. 24-70mm 2.8 is up $350 since last Christmas. 100mm Macro up $150, 300mm f4IS up $300... Glad I acted and bought aggressively when I did. KEH sells used 5D for $100 less than I bought my new ones for. All in all, eos gear has been a very wise aquisition for me, and 1600 iso rocks, as does full frame biggie sized viewfinders.

Still like my old K Mount glass and K20D that I bought new for 1/2 issue price some 9 months after launch. But when I travel all the Pentax stays home and Canon and Nikon make the journey & memories.

Last edited by Samsungian; 09-12-2009 at 07:07 PM.
09-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #39
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Hey Elwood Quote
Plus every Canon user gets great shots where my K20d only gets me average shots. Metering sucks, have to continuely use flash, where canon users have great pictures. Not impressed with k20d
I've seen TONS of crummy shots from Canon users. I've seen tons of crummy shots from Pentax users. I guarantee you that if you switch to Canon, you will be getting (surprise surprise) average shots....

Pentax's metering does NOT suck, not sure what to make of your flash comment.

I used to shoot Pentax and I was able to get great shots with my K10D. I switched and (surprise surprise) I now get great shots with my 40D and Xsi. The equipment is a fairly small piece of the puzzle.

ALL digital SLRs out today (from the Nikon D60 to the Canon 1Ds MKIII) are VERY capable of producing excellent photographs, provided the photographer knows what the heck they are doing.
09-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #40
Inactive Account

Hey Elwood - I checked out some of your model photography, it's pretty good! Were those with the K10D? I'd say they do NOT suck, and are quite a bit better than average...

Maybe you missed a <sarcasm> tag in your post?
09-12-2009, 07:53 PM   #41

Photos: Gallery
I don't shoot Canon, and never have, my only cameras being (in order of possession) a Chinon 35FS, a Fuji S700, a Pentax ME Super, and my Pentax K10D. I did, however, help a friend pick out his first DSLR. I tried to give him an unbiased opinion, but I did push Pentax a good bit, but ultimately, I left the decision up to him (the most important person) and he chose to get the XSi based on his hands-on experience compared with a 50D, my K10D with grip, a XS, T1i, D90, and D60. On my reccomendation, he did skip the Ebay package deals with the screw on 'lenses', found a good deal and spent that money of a 50mm f/1.8 II.

So far he is happy, so I feel that I can be happy!

I look forward to shooting with it some. I'm not considering switching, I just like to try everything before I give my opinion of it to others.
09-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I had to use a flash for those shots...I know tons of Canon users who wouldn't need a flash for those photos. Plus I know for a fact the metering system really does suck for pentax. Espacially in a dark situation.
09-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #43

Photos: Gallery
Don't like the metering? It's just a crutch anyways, use manual!

RD
09-13-2009, 11:35 PM   #44
Veteran Member

May times I don't have the time to manually focus using my k20d (plus I have to wear glasses and my pictures don't turn out sharp when I have to manually focus). Even in manual, the k20d still has to meter and if it doesn't think everything is correct it won't take the shot. I had a chance to play with a Canon d5 at a wedding I djed last night and that sucker was so smooth, quick and spot on, I knew I needed to start moving to Canon. Maybe next year when I start getting funds again.
09-14-2009, 08:36 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SCguy Quote
I don't shoot Canon, and never have, my only cameras being (in order of possession) a Chinon 35FS, a Fuji S700, a Pentax ME Super, and my Pentax K10D. I did, however, help a friend pick out his first DSLR. I tried to give him an unbiased opinion, but I did push Pentax a good bit, but ultimately, I left the decision up to him (the most important person) and he chose to get the XSi based on his hands-on experience compared with a 50D, my K10D with grip, a XS, T1i, D90, and D60. On my reccomendation, he did skip the Ebay package deals with the screw on 'lenses', found a good deal and spent that money of a 50mm f/1.8 II.

So far he is happy, so I feel that I can be happy!

I look forward to shooting with it some. I'm not considering switching, I just like to try everything before I give my opinion of it to others.
I'm trying to steer one of my friends away from those ebay packages with the screw-on lenses right now too... she's got her heart set on a Canon but I don't want her to get screwed on something like that.

Elwood, he meant manual METERING, not focus. Apparently you know how to take pictures well enough, but with every post you make it becomes more questionable just how well you know how to properly use your camera...

btw, if you want a camera that meters everything perfectly (for most tastes) and never screws up the flash metering, get one of the higher-end Nikons. They're the only ones I never hear complaints about, probably due to the fact that they use an entire extra sensor (smaller of course) that you could probably make pictures with just to meter. My Canon's meter needs just as much babysitting as my K20D's did, except that it errs on the side of overexposure instead (which is worse) and only lets you dial in 2 stops of exposure compensation...

btw, I never had this problem you mention where the camera "wouldn't take the shot." Maybe there are some settings you need to change? Again, learn the capabilities of your own camera or switching brands will not bring any real improvement.