Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #46
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a Canon G10 and am waiting for the G11. Best point and shoots available to supplement your Pentax DSLR when you don't feel like carrying the load and want to strap something on your belt!

09-14-2009, 12:01 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hey Elwood Quote
Plus every Canon user gets great shots where my K20d only gets me average shots.
Dude, thanks, seriously. That is one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time.
09-14-2009, 12:36 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
btw, I never had this problem you mention where the camera "wouldn't take the shot." Maybe there are some settings you need to change? Again, learn the capabilities of your own camera or switching brands will not bring any real improvement.
Usually the camera wouldn't take the shot if it's in AF and it considers the scene not focused. If you decouple the AF button from th shutter this problem will be alleviated. The issue is if you use the grip alot, the grip doesnt have AF button! K-7 addresses this but it sucks to be K20D owner if you like to decouple.

Of course I'm assuming this is what elwood's problem is
09-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Strange, mine would usually hunt around a couple times and then just give up and blink the focus light, and let me take the picture anyways. I wonder what the deal is?

Assuming that's the reason he's having trouble, though, it would seem to me that that's only one of his problems... you know, the problems he has due to owning a Pentax.

09-14-2009, 02:46 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Someone remind me to make a pretty photo of my old FD stuff.
09-14-2009, 03:53 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Strange, mine would usually hunt around a couple times and then just give up and blink the focus light, and let me take the picture anyways. I wonder what the deal is?

Assuming that's the reason he's having trouble, though, it would seem to me that that's only one of his problems... you know, the problems he has due to owning a Pentax.
Kinda wondering how not having an AF button on the vertical grip is a big gripe compared to not having full controls in the first place on anything else you could get for the money, though.
I could take AF off the shutter button, but it seems easier to either use the hard switch or have the AF button set to turn off AF than do that.
09-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Man, just a few weeks and already trolling. I'm so proud of you..

09-14-2009, 05:51 PM   #53
Veteran Member

I'm kinda confused... I thought I was ridiculing someone else's trolling. Clarification?
09-14-2009, 06:07 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I'm kinda confused... I thought I was ridiculing someone else's trolling. Clarification?
I was just messing with you.
09-14-2009, 07:19 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
I was just messing with you.
it's a Canon owner thing
09-15-2009, 06:57 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Oh, ok. (we need a winking smiley that actually smiles since the current one just looks so damn cynical...)
09-15-2009, 04:05 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
Dude, thanks, seriously. That is one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time.

Ok then, let's do a test run shall we. I'll get my friends Canon and my Pentax K20d with a DA 50-135 2.8 lens and well take pictures of the same thing with the same settings same fstop, shutter speed, ISO and see which camera produces better shots straight out of the camera (no photoshop, no tweeking, nothing). Let's see which one wins.

My money is on Canon but of course everyone here will say Pentax just because they love Pentax.
09-15-2009, 04:12 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I think that would be an interesting challenge... I actually have a totally opposite impression from you: Pentax k20D is better than most in terms of out of the camera jpegs, and that Canon files generally need some postprocessing to bring out the best of them. Mind you I have never seen a 1D in real life, only everything up to 5D. Judging solely from the LCD my K100D always look better than my friends' canons (including a 5D2).

If we're dealing with out of camera, the match should be JPEG. Out of camera pentax raw doesnt look all that nice (not poppy enough) until you apply the curves.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 09-15-2009 at 04:19 PM.
09-15-2009, 04:14 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Ok then, let's do a test run shall we. I'll get my friends Canon and my Pentax K20d with a DA 50-135 2.8 lens and well take pictures of the same thing with the same settings same fstop, shutter speed, ISO and see which camera produces better shots straight out of the camera (no photoshop, no tweeking, nothing). Let's see which one wins.

My money is on Canon but of course everyone here will say Pentax just because they love Pentax.
How much money you got?

I just sold my K20d setup, and am now in 5D2 land. I shot the K20d 50-135* setup a fair amount, and today just picked up a 70-200/f4 IS which is about the equivalent lens. The 5D2 wins above iso 1600 and if you really pixel peep - FF resolution is FF resolution. But If you printed 8x10 out of each setup I'm willing to bet that many might actually prefer the Pentax. I'm still understanding how the Canon behaves, but I know that Pentax colors are very nice, and the 50-135* is a stellar lens.

That said, the 70-200/4 is a jaw dropping lens. I love it.
09-15-2009, 04:18 PM   #60
Veteran Member

That's pretty ridiculous. "Straight out of the camera" means nothing. What are your settings for sharpness, contrast, color etc.. what are his?

Canon tends to be more aggressive on noise reduction, color and sharpening "out of the box". That means nothing.

In my opinion and experience, a K20D will easily take on a 40D as well as a 50D when it comes to sheer image quality at least until ISO 800. Higher ISO can be debated depending on what you prefer, and it clearly doesn't keep up with brand C when it comes to AF and fps... but if you're getting bad pictures out of the camera and it's not because of the AF or fps lacking, you are the one at fault. Not the camera.