Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K20D vs Olympus E-P1 vs Canon G9

Pentax K20D vs Olympus E-P1 vs Canon G9 - a set on Flickr

Posted some similar shots taken with the Olympus E-P1, Pentax K20D, and Canon G9. You can click through to see the full sized shots. Not a controlled comparison, but still I thought it was interesting. Next, I'll post some shots from the E-P1 and K20D using the same k-mount lenses (via an adapter on the E-P1).

09-13-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting and looks like results I got as well. I owned both the K20d and E-P1 (sold the Oly a few weeks ago, K20d ships out tomorrow). I found they rendered images very differently. The E-P1 tended to be a bit more crisp but with some grit. The K20d images were smoother and "better" (by typical criteria). But the E-P1 produces some very nice shots. The DR does track with sensor size, and the K20d does tend to underexpose (which I prefer).
09-14-2009, 12:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Went to Fry's today and saw the K-7 and E-P1 for the first time (alas, no Leica M9 ). I had been admiring the E-P1 on paper (but didn't want to get it because of the smaller sensor), but I found the camera to be much bigger than I expected and quite ugly in person. I must have been fooled by large hands on DPReview.

Anyway, I really liked the K-7 though I wish I had brough a lens as it didn't have one so I ended up sorta borrowing a tied-down lens on a K2000 and holding both cameras awkwardly.
09-14-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Interesting and looks like results I got as well. I owned both the K20d and E-P1 (sold the Oly a few weeks ago, K20d ships out tomorrow). I found they rendered images very differently. The E-P1 tended to be a bit more crisp but with some grit. The K20d images were smoother and "better" (by typical criteria). But the E-P1 produces some very nice shots. The DR does track with sensor size, and the K20d does tend to underexpose (which I prefer).
That's my opinion as well. DPReview said the DR of the E-P1 was pretty wide, but it still seems a little narrower than the files from my K20D. At least, in processing them, I seem to have more leeway in the K20D shots. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the E-P1 handled noise, though.

QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
Went to Fry's today and saw the K-7 and E-P1 for the first time (alas, no Leica M9 ). I had been admiring the E-P1 on paper (but didn't want to get it because of the smaller sensor), but I found the camera to be much bigger than I expected and quite ugly in person. I must have been fooled by large hands on DPReview.

Anyway, I really liked the K-7 though I wish I had brough a lens as it didn't have one so I ended up sorta borrowing a tied-down lens on a K2000 and holding both cameras awkwardly.
That's interesting. I find the silver E-P1 gorgeous. I don't really care for the white one. That's the problem with making something that's 'different' from a stylistic standpoint. Some people love it, and others hate it.

As for the sensor size on the Pen, it depends on what you're comparing it to. For me, I was looking for a 'super P&S', so the 4/3 sensor was a big plus. If I was thinking about the Pen as my only camera system, then I'd think a little harder about sensor size. However, I must admit that I'm fairly impressed by the sensor, but it's not quite (almost, but not quite) as good as the APS-C sensor on the K20D.

09-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
As for the sensor size on the Pen, it depends on what you're comparing it to. For me, I was looking for a 'super P&S', so the 4/3 sensor was a big plus. If I was thinking about the Pen as my only camera system, then I'd think a little harder about sensor size. However, I must admit that I'm fairly impressed by the sensor, but it's not quite (almost, but not quite) as good as the APS-C sensor on the K20D.
In my case I was looking for a "street cam" that could give me a better file than my p&s. I have this vision of 3 different cameras - small/light/good p&s that I can take anywhere (presently DLux4), high quality dSLR for when I need a really good file, good hi iso, etc (was K20d, now 5D2). And a middle ground that is relatively unobtrusive but will give me a good file. I did like the noise on the E-P1. There were just some handling things that I didn't like. Right now the candidates for the middle cam are GF-1 (I can share lenses with my g/f who has a G1), K7 w/DA ltd prime, or X1.
09-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

My dream cam right now is the Leica M9, but I'm afraid I'm also going to be disappointed with it's size when I actually see one in person. Perhaps P&S are spoiling me: I keep hoping for something that small (like a G10) but full frame...

Of course, I have used basic film cameras in the past but that was a long time ago.
09-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Your flickr pics confirm for me that the other two don't even come close in terms of absolute IQ compared to the K20D.

Every time I take a pic I want the best quality possible - the G9 & the EP1 would never be a substitute for even my K10

Regards

Dylan
09-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Your flickr pics confirm for me that the other two don't even come close in terms of absolute IQ compared to the K20D.

Every time I take a pic I want the best quality possible - the G9 & the EP1 would never be a substitute for even my K10

Regards

Dylan
I shot the EP1 and K20d back to back and I wouldn't be as dismissive of u4/3. They have a different look, and the K20d gives a smoother file, but the iq isn't night and day.

Now a small sensor (G9) vs K20d - that is a big difference, especially at higher iso or low light.

09-16-2009, 04:07 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
In my case I was looking for a "street cam" that could give me a better file than my p&s. I have this vision of 3 different cameras - small/light/good p&s that I can take anywhere (presently DLux4), high quality dSLR for when I need a really good file, good hi iso, etc (was K20d, now 5D2). And a middle ground that is relatively unobtrusive but will give me a good file. I did like the noise on the E-P1. There were just some handling things that I didn't like. Right now the candidates for the middle cam are GF-1 (I can share lenses with my g/f who has a G1), K7 w/DA ltd prime, or X1.
you are right about these choices --- however I have already made up my mind -- it is the X1 ( I am on a waiting list, whatever that means ) for one reason only. It is the interface on the X1 that is killer - two controls on top, one for shutter and one for aperture. Oh and a 35mm equivalent doesn't hurt at all either.

kman
09-25-2009, 10:38 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the ep1 is a much bigger camera!
09-26-2009, 01:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I was a tad dissapointed to show those samples showed the E-P1 photos looking very flat. Are these processed RAW files or just JPEG? From the samples on my forum that people have posted, the photos have tons of dynamic range compared to these photos.
09-26-2009, 01:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Check out this photo:

Micro Four Thirds Community
09-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'd think you'd be aware that a link to the forum you help run wouldn't work for people outside that forum.

Russ mentioned in the link that they were exported from lightroom as jpegs with no changes, btw. Not the best way to compare cameras, imo, but ymmv...

That said, I am interested in seeing the photo, any chance you can fix the link?

I've seen a lot of fantastic images from the E-P1 so far, and I intend to produce a few myself, hopefully. I have no doubt, from what I've seen, that it's got the potential to produce images approximately on par with the K20D or K-7, provided that it's used to the best of its abilities. Certainly its imaging capabilities are far ahead of the G9...
09-28-2009, 04:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

You should be able to see the photo.
09-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
You should be able to see the photo.
I can't still...can you fix it please? Thanks.