Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, I've made the switch.....

I'm just about done with the move to Canon.

I really hate agonizing over equipment, especially I have no experience with Canon at all.

I'm picking up a 5D body tomorrow in the city and will grab a second 5D when I sell my remaining K20D. I'm actually about to take the last few pics with the last of the Pentax lenses.....the FA50/1.4 that will be leaving me tomorrow.

Switching systems definitely leaves me with an unsettled feeling. It's like driving around blind curve and not knowing what's on the other side. Kinda scary, especially since I knew my Pentax stuff like the back of my hand. Trying to figure out which lenses I was going to buy initially was hard. Trying to figure out which combination of bodies to get was also a PITA. Going through the process of learning to new stuff will be nerve-wracking I'm sure.

Anyway, here's what I settled on:

5D
5D
Sigma 24-60/2.8
Sigma 28/1.8
Canon 50/1.4
Canon 85/1.8
Canon 200/2.8L

I guess that'll be a good start, as long as the Sigmas don't have any focus issues. At some point I'll probably swap in a 24-70L + 24L or 35L to replace the Sigmas, and add a 135L. The more pressing need is a macro of some sort. I'm leaning more towards grabbing some macro tubes and adding a true macro later on.

Anyway, ready or not, here I go...

09-17-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

best of luck man.
09-17-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

My one recommendation for this setup: get a hood for the 50 and ALWAYS leave it on. That lens has one weak point and it's that pressure on the front element can bugger up the autofocus mechanism. If you use a hood you'll never need to worry about it. If you don't have one I got one for something like $9 shipped from HK supplies.

Other than that, welcome to the dark side.
09-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
So Alan why the change of heart?
I know some people express there need for a full frame sensors,
better frames per seconds, and better IQ with the glass with other systems, but what were your reasons if you do mind me asking?

09-17-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
emr

Lookin' good, max. Post later some results here.
09-17-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It is a pita figuring out the ins-and-outs of a new system. Part of the problem with Canon is they have so many lenses it can be tough to figure out a "coherent" system. I've done a lot of reading and there are some lenses that seem to be consensus "must haves."

Right now I have the 24-105/4 IS, 70-200/4 IS (awesome lens), and 50/1.4. That gives me pretty good coverage, but I want some faster glass. The other problem with Canon (and Nikon...and any FF lens) is that fast glass gets big and heavy. Pentax spoils you with the FA ltd primes. But just like the 50-135* was "prime good", the 70-200/4 IS is the same. I would love to get a full complement of L primes, but some of them are just too damn expensive, and the cheaper/slower variants are pretty close (eg 50/1.2 vs 50/1.4). I probably will add the 135/2 L as I'd like something long/fast, and maybe the 24/1.4 or 35/1.4.

Losing IS was a concern, and one reason I went with two zooms with lens IS. So far the 50/1.4 has been fine though, and I've been shooting the same bad light and slow shutter speeds I did with the K20d. Maybe keeping the number of cups of coffee per day down is working
09-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Best of luck with the new kit; as mentioned earlier, Canon "L" glass gets expensive and heavy the faster you get. Still, it's solid gear built for punishment.

09-17-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That's the old 5D, or couple of mark twos?
09-17-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
My one recommendation for this setup: get a hood for the 50 and ALWAYS leave it on. That lens has one weak point and it's that pressure on the front element can bugger up the autofocus mechanism. If you use a hood you'll never need to worry about it. If you don't have one I got one for something like $9 shipped from HK supplies.

Other than that, welcome to the dark side.
Thanks for the tip. The 50 I bought came with the hood included.
09-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ceericks Quote
So Alan why the change of heart?
I know some people express there need for a full frame sensors,
better frames per seconds, and better IQ with the glass with other systems, but what were your reasons if you do mind me asking?
Full frame is nice, but it wasn't the deciding factor for me. I need better low light focus and high-ISO performance. I was hoping to get that in the K7. I borrowed one for a while and didn't see an improvement, particularly with the high-ISO noise.
09-17-2009, 05:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pasipasi Quote
That's the old 5D, or couple of mark twos?
I wish I had the $$$ for 2 5D MKII's. Nope, I got the old 5D classic.
09-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I've heard the 5d has low light focusing issues of its own. I'll be watching this thread to see what you think. I always like to hear the opinion of a skilled photographer who has used both cameras that are being compared.
09-17-2009, 06:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reknelb Quote
I've heard the 5d has low light focusing issues of its own. I'll be watching this thread to see what you think. I always like to hear the opinion of a skilled photographer who has used both cameras that are being compared.
The outer focusing points are iffy in low light, but the center one tends to be dead on 99% of the time.
09-17-2009, 06:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
The outer focusing points are iffy in low light, but the center one tends to be dead on 99% of the time.
I've heard the exact same thing from one of the Canon shooters I know. I compared it with the K20D side by side and it really wasn't close.
09-17-2009, 06:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I shot the other night with the 50/1.4 in near darkness. The lens would hunt when it was really dark and there was little contrast, but any point source (like a light 100m away) was usually enough to get AF. Under more reasonable conditions I find AF to be very quick. In fact I have to change my shooting style. I used to AF multiple times with the K20d to make sure it was "right" or at least pause to give it time to lock. Now I can just push and go. I'm using single center point and either one shot or AI. I never did AF-C with the K20d so the whole servo thing seems foreign