Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2009, 08:35 AM   #16
Banned

well a users specific needs, I certainly wont try to argue. I was simply pointing looking at general backwards compatibility as a manufacturer would see and thus advertise it.

QuoteQuote:
Note they said MOUNT backward compatibility, in time duration. M42 is not the same mount as the K. The Nikon F mount is older than the K. QED.

CAMERA backward compatibility of course is a different thing - Pentax in this case trumps Nikon.
true. though for Nikon mount and camera is essentially the same thing, as they have not had a different mount since they introduced their first SLR. one only needs to differentiate since Pentax has had more than one mount.

09-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In my opinion, if we're discussing "Ai-ing a lens" then we need to throw the OEM Pentax M42 adapter into the discussion. Same register distance, bigger opening still allowing the 42mm lenses to fit inside. The K mount was designed to offer some degree of compatibility with M42s. And this is a $20 adapter...not the incredibly rare and expensive (and teleconverter) FD to EOS adapter.

Plus for $20, its usable for all your lenses...it doesn't require a mount conversion.
09-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I may have skimmed through this too quickly and not read a correction but converting a Pre-AI Nikkor to an AI Nikkor does not involve changing the mount but rather the aperture ring. Put simply, they replaced the "rabbit ears" link for the camera metering pin with a milled ridge on the aperture ring that engaged a camera metering tab. Very simple really. The Nikon conversion kit for each lens included a replacement aperture ring with a properly milled tab. Unopened NOS Nikon AI conversion kits are becoming very rare.

Interestingly, they continued putting Pre-AI rabit ears on their MF lenses to this day and include slightly punch-set dimples on the aperture rings of their modern AF lenses for drilling for the rabbit ears. I could shoot one of my AF Nikkor primes on a Nikon F if I wanted to so by buying a rabbit ears prong and installing it.

The AIS series added a milled groove in the mount plate that "told" the FA what lens was mounted. Modern Nikkors still include this groove so they are technicaly AIS AF-D lenses. The back of a modern Nikkor lens is pretty busy.

Nikon wins the battle thanks to the F-mount being older but Pentax wins the war because there is no phyical means for mounting a 1950's vintage rangefinder Nikkor-S on my D40x. At one time, Pentax made an M37-to-M42 adaptor ring for their first generation SLR lenses and it's possible to double up the adaptors. Go Pentax!
09-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #19
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Nikon wins the battle thanks to the F-mount being older but Pentax wins the war because there is no phyical means for mounting a 1950's vintage rangefinder Nikkor-S on my D40x. Go Pentax!
while with the proper (albeit rare) adapter one can mount an m37 (asahiflex lens) and use it the same way you do an m42 Takumar. taking you all the way back to 1952. essentially allowing you to mount and use every SLR lens Asahi Optical has ever manufactured (not counting any lenses manufactured for other camera companies of course) like I said, 100% compatibility. nikon may have a longer history manufacturing lenses, as well as more prestige concerning its very long time high reputation for m39 rangefinder lenses, but none of it matters very much if you cant mount and use them.

I bet nikon would make a killing if it started to remanufacture AI conversion kits. I have several non-AI lenses for my F Photomic T that I wouldn't mind having AI converted.

09-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #20
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Pentax made an M37-to-M42 adaptor ring for their first generation SLR lenses and it's possible to double up the adaptors. Go Pentax!
someone needs to manufacture an adapter like the Pentax m42 adapter only with the inner ring designed to fit m37. though honestly, the last thing id want is for the price of m37 lenses to get any higher... im having a hard enough time trying to find them as it is.

09-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I bet nikon would make a killing if it started to remanufacture AI conversion kits. I have several non-AI lenses for my F Photomic T that I wouldn't mind having AI converted.
AI Conversions for Nikon Lenses: Effective, Fast and Affordable!

The 24/2.8 I bought has the John White Ai conversion and it works great.
09-18-2009, 11:22 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
someone needs to manufacture an adapter like the Pentax m42 adapter only with the inner ring designed to fit m37. though honestly, the last thing id want is for the price of m37 lenses to get any higher... im having a hard enough time trying to find them as it is.

So its you that's running up bids on me

09-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #23
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
So its you that's running up bids on me
oh yes mate. I say as a rule of thumb, always expect that its me. I wont divulge my current bid list on the bay, but there are some gems and im always looking for an Asahiflex and Asahi-Kogaku Takumars.
09-18-2009, 11:34 AM   #24
Site Supporter

I have an adapter coming that has Nikkor on it and was apparently made by Nikon that will allow the use of Nikon lenses on k-mount bodies. We will see when it gets here.
Attached Images

09-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #25
Banned

F lenses? how would that be possible without loosing infinity focus? as you are essentially adapting a bayonet lens to a nearly identical bayonet mount via an adapter. interesting though. lets see the results when it arrives.
09-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #26
Site Supporter

F lenses? how would that be possible without loosing infinity focus? as you are essentially adapting a bayonet lens to a nearly identical bayonet mount via an adapter. interesting though. lets see the results when it arrives.
for $10 I figured what the hell. If it loses infinity, I'll hang on to it in case I get hold of a 200mm micro.
09-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #27
Banned

for $10 I figured what the hell. If it loses infinity, I'll hang on to it in case I get hold of a 200mm micro.
id hang onto it as well, could be a useful adapter. the m37 to m42 adapter looses infinity focus and I certainly wont be giving this thing up. id actually quite like to have that 10 dollar adapter.
09-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #28
Site Supporter

id hang onto it as well, could be a useful adapter. the m37 to m42 adapter looses infinity focus and I certainly wont be giving this thing up. id actually quite like to have that 10 dollar adapter.
I got the adapter today and it definitely was made by Nikon to mount F lenses to K-mount bodies. However, I haven't been able to check infinity because my grad student has the lab Nikon & micro Nikkor out in the field somewhere. I'll check it when I get home. I'm somewhat shocked that such an adapter from Nikon exists.
09-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I'd love to see an image of each side

I'd love to see an image of each side.

I had no idea an adapter like this existed either.

Its not listed in my Nikon dealer equiptment catalogues.

Thanks

I got the adapter today and it definitely was made by Nikon to mount F lenses to K-mount bodies. However, I haven't been able to check infinity because my grad student has the lab Nikon & micro Nikkor out in the field somewhere. I'll check it when I get home. I'm somewhat shocked that such an adapter from Nikon exists.
09-21-2009, 03:41 PM   #30
Banned

cool, I look forward to seeing it in action, and some photos of a nikkor mounted to a pentax body.

by the way, is that a Takumar 200mm optical formula in your signature?