Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Adaptall for Sony?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Is it possible to use adaptall lenses on sony DSLR? If so what adapter?

09-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You're probably looking for Minolta. I don't know too much about Minolta, but it may be referred to the A-mount or alpha-mount. It's the same mount, since Sony bought out Minolta a little while back.
09-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
pbo
Veteran Member

There are third-party adapters. In fact, I have one that came with an adaptall lens some time ago... It's made of metal on the adaptall side, and black something (guess metal, too) on the Sony side, made by "Pixco", has no electric contacts or chips
I can send it to you at the cost of shipping if you want it.
09-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tamron did make mounts for Minolta. You may have to get one of the "chip" kits for it.

I'm not affiliated with these. They are just for reference. Here are examples of 2 different Minolta mounts.

Tamron adaptall 2 for minolta auto focus or sony slr - eBay (item 110433304052 end time Oct-09-09 19:57:41 PDT)

Tamron Adaptall 2 for Minolta MD cameras-Mint w/Box - eBay (item 290352964410 end time Oct-03-09 17:05:34 PDT)

Edit: and 3rd party . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamron-Adaptall-2-Lens-To-Minolta-Maxxum-Sony-adapter_W0...3286.m63.l1177

Last edited by Blue; 09-29-2009 at 04:03 PM.
09-29-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
pbo
Veteran Member

I looked over the pics Blue provided, I have this one http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamron-Adaptall-2-Lens-To-Minolta-Maxxum-Sony-adapter_W0...3286.m63.l1177 and this one - Tamron Adaptall 2 for Minolta MD cameras-Mint w/Box - eBay (item 290352964410 end time Oct-03-09 17:05:34 PDT).
I don't use either...
09-29-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
PBO- Thanks for the offer.
So are you guys saying that the old MD mount stuff will work on the Sony (obviously without auto focus)?
What about AE funtions?
Sorry for my ignorance but I'm totally unfamilliar with the Maxum system.
Whats up with the chip kit thing?
A dear friend recently bought into the Sony system and I told her I'd let her play with some of my Adaptalls if there was an adapter
09-29-2009, 05:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I don't know about the sony. However, if you want the focus confirm, there is a chip that can be added to the mount.

You will need to figure out which of the 2 above adapters you need, I'm guessing the first one. One of those is for the AF systems and the other the manual focus. It sounds like PBO has you covered either way. Maxuum was the top Minolta AF stuff in the day.

Edit: Disclaimer, I haven't touched any of the Minolta line since Sony assimilated it.

09-29-2009, 05:56 PM   #8
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
So are you guys saying that the old MD mount stuff will work on the Sony (obviously without auto focus)?
I'm pretty sure that's not the case. I have two adapters, one for Sony (came with my 103A), another for Minolta MD (came with my 19AH), and they're physically different.
No idea about exposure and stuff
10-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The MD is NOT the Sony mount. Only the Minolta Maxxum AF mount also called the A/Alpha mount is what works on the Sony Alpha DSLRs, like Er1kksen said.
10-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Just for clarification, we were merely mentioning the Adaptall mounts made by Tamron. The adaptall was out of production when Sony took over the Minolta camera factory. The intention was to make the OP aware that there were at least 2 Minolta adaptall mounts from Tamron out there.

Also, it isn't an MD mount for the old lenses. MD, MC etc are Rokkor lens lines that Minolta had. The pre-Maxuum mount was actually called "SR" The basic mount was the same up until the present for mf cameras with periodic updates. The AF cameras have a different mount.

Edit: Here is a good article about the mf Rokkor lens history. The lenses were named for the Mountain behind the factory.

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/Lens%20History.html

Edit: Edit: Apparently, Sony was only interested in the Maxuum/AF mount. However, Seagull used the SR mount from 1964 up until very recently.
10-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Blue is correct, pre A mount (current Sony and also AF minolta), there was the SR mount (MD, MC lenses). And no, one cannot mount a MD/MC lens on A mount without an adapter. I have been looking for a Minolta/Sony A mount Adaptall for ages.

pbo, If seacapt does not take up your offer, perhaps I can?
10-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #12
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
pbo, If seacapt does not take up your offer, perhaps I can?
Err sorry I sent him the adapter two days ago... But can't you look up ebay for it? There should be quite a few chinese sellers selling them for a reasonable price - and the last two purchases of mine from asian sellers (one from China, one from Hong Kong), came to me amazingly fast - in just a week.