Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
Hi guys,

I'd like to know from your experience if you could rate the following cameras only regarding low light performance. Let's be more specific, I'd appreciate 'real world' experience with those cams, dark indoor shots, stage shots, artificial light.

The easiest is to talk ISO I guess (in the sense of keeping the DR and the pic not totally falling apart). Obviously my yardstick is the first camera.

Pentax K100D (my current DSLR) - acceptable ISO: 800

Canon 5D 'classic': 1600 ? (the most tempting upgrade for me)

Nikon D700: 6400 ?

Sony A850: 800 ?

Pentax K-X /Sony A500 (presumably same sensor): 1600 ?

As for many other people the low light perf. is crucial to me and I just can't tell if it would be worth upgrading for two stops. I am using manual f/1.2 - f/2 lenses in those situations whenever possible so I can't do much better lenswise with my current camera.

Any thoughts appreciated,Georg (the other)

Georg,

From what I've used;

The K10D can get good high ISO results, but you need to expose to the right. Anytime you need to push the exposure, the noise gets bad. This I find is an issue with the K10D because the camera tends to underexpose 2/3 to 1 stop. So you really need to be aware of your histogram.

The 5D shots I saw from my co-workers camera at ISO 1000 looked better then my K10D shots at ISO 400. Granted, I had a number of shots underexposed, because I forgot to watch the histogram.... I really need to learn not to trust the matrix metering on the K10D.

The D200 has a much better matrix meter then the K10D, producing far more correctly exposed shots over the K10D. But, When the K10D is correctly exposed, it has far better high ISO images then the D200. The D200 has a faint "ripple" texture to its high ISO noise. It can be seen from about ISO 600 and up.

When I had a K100D, I took very few high ISO shots. But the few that I did take had a very film like grain pattern to them. Usually I would convert the shot to B/W.

---------------------

I was looking at the high ISO images from the dcreviews "compaire-o-meter" from the A850 and the K-7. I found that downsizing the A850 images to the same res as the K-7 resulted in a better image then the K-7. It has made me reconsider the A850 as a camera. Has anyone else noticed that downsizing can improve image noise? This is an idea that is new to me.

10-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Has anyone else noticed that downsizing can improve image noise? This is an idea that is new to me.
ofcourse

3 black dots 1 blue dot = average 1 black dot

noise gone, tada!
10-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
ofcourse

3 black dots 1 blue dot = average 1 black dot

noise gone, tada!
Like most things, you just have to take it to its extremes and realize that if you averaged out all the pixels you'd end up with a big, noise free, grey print.

So yeah, downsampling = less noise.
10-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So what is the downside to downsizing?

If it works, and to me it looked good, why would you want a lower mp camera for better low light shots? Why not have a 20+ mp camera, and if the shot is noisy, downsize to 10 mp?

I just priced out a Canon kit. I need to sell or rent a kidney.

10-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #35
Veteran Member

So what is the downside to downsizing?

If it works, and to me it looked good, why would you want a lower mp camera for better low light shots? Why not have a 20+ mp camera, and if the shot is noisy, downsize to 10 mp?

I just priced out a Canon kit. I need to sell or rent a kidney.
nothing at all, assuming the program doing it is quality software.

the only downside would be printing.

this is why its so easy to be fooled on the internet, 800pix images get rid of so much noise.

when i work with my photos, i have a second monitor displaying shit at 1200X1000 so i'm much more critical

all of a sudden when i export to jpeg and downsize half th enoise goes away.
10-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
funny how something so obvious compleatly got past me...
10-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #37
Veteran Member

funny how something so obvious compleatly got past me...
regarding NOISE in general

over the course of the next.. whatever your shooting habits are

assemble a set of images you consider noisy and clean.

then take them and print them at 8X12 or whatever

that will be the true test, once you SEE how the "noise" looks on the final product, your tolerances for what is bad and good might change... significantly.

10-08-2009, 11:59 PM   #38
Pentaxian

...why would you want a lower mp camera for better low light shots?
You don't.

A high MP camera not only allows downsizing of images to get the same noise levels but it also shows the finer noise structure before downsizing.

When looking at DxOMark results, make sure to select the "Print" tab. Here the results are normalised to the same image size. The "Screen" tab shows results "per Pixel" and thus favours cameras with lower resolution. However, results per "pixel" are rather irrelevant in practice. They only indicate what you would see if you chose to reproduce pixels with the same size, resulting in correspondingly larger images for the high MP cameras. That's normally not a fair way of comparing IQ.
10-09-2009, 05:01 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
You don't.

A high MP camera not only allows downsizing of images to get the same noise levels but it also shows the finer noise structure before downsizing.

When looking at DxOMark results, make sure to select the "Print" tab. Here the results are normalised to the same image size. The "Screen" tab shows results "per Pixel" and thus favours cameras with lower resolution. However, results per "pixel" are rather irrelevant in practice. They only indicate what you would see if you chose to reproduce pixels with the same size, resulting in correspondingly larger images for the high MP cameras. That's normally not a fair way of comparing IQ.
HALLELUJAH!

I can't tell you how many times I see people "prove" that camera X is noisier than camera Y because they look on a per pixel basis rather than on an output size basis. The infamous "50D is noisier than 40D" debate is a good example; when you use dxomark and compare "screen" numbers, it looks worse. When using "print" numbers, better.
10-09-2009, 08:08 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
regarding NOISE in general

over the course of the next.. whatever your shooting habits are

assemble a set of images you consider noisy and clean.

then take them and print them at 8X12 or whatever

that will be the true test, once you SEE how the "noise" looks on the final product, your tolerances for what is bad and good might change... significantly.
and here is an example, this is a 100% crop of an image pushed like HELL then upsampled like hell to an 11*14 print.

You'd be surprised how good the print looks, first class? No, does ANYONE notice? Nope.