Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2009, 04:43 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I suspect it will be full auto with exposure compensation. The top 1/2000 shutter speed and f/3.2 lens means that with a base ISO of 50-80 it can handle bright sunlight situations. If the aperture is fixed then the only variable is shutter speed and will most likely be controlled by the camera.

Dirk @ Japan Exposures is getting one of the early ones to review so we'll find out then.

10-24-2009, 08:13 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Ooo, someone's been reading my Adult Match Maker page!

This camera's a good sign. Sure, it is, essentially, crap, but the idea's got potential.

I hope sensor design stagnates. Really, I do. Why? Because then maybe we can stop focusing on our cams are going to be out of date in two years and working on other stuff. Like manufacturing excellent sensors much more cheaply. Transistors and ICs were freaking expensive when they first came out. Few manufacturers could afford to make radios with transistors when they were starting out, and now every man and his factory staffed by intelligent dogs is crankin' 'em out. Tell people ten years ago that in 2009 you could fit an entire Nintendo 64 on single chip, and they'd laugh.

Well, not stagnate entirely, but to flatten out and relax. And then maybe some cheaper manufacturers - like this guy cranking out these Yashis - can have a crack at the market. Filled what could be called the high-end low-end: cameras that sacrifice the sundry bells and whistles for things like a decent lens (which I imagine is cheaper to produce than something like an LCD live-view system, AF and zooms.) Save money by not making fancy programmed modes, and stick with ASM. OVF's still cheaper than EVF. If it's a fixed prime lens, you're just masturbating by sticking an EVF in their.

Of course, labeling the poor thing a digital Holga might be killing it in the womb.
That is WTFMI. I wonder if we can convert this thing to screw mount or to take M & K lenses by putting a mount on there.
10-24-2009, 09:08 AM   #33
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No thanks. My cell phone even has a better cam.
10-24-2009, 02:29 PM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
No thanks. My cell phone even has a better cam.
The yashica doesn't have a contract agreement hanging of the end of it . . .

10-24-2009, 09:42 PM   #35
Inactive Account

Touché, Blue. (I'm one of those weird bastards who gets all funny about spending money he doesn't have.)
10-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My digital Holga!

Hey Yashica, lose the LCD and associated buttons and I'm in!

Chris
10-29-2009, 07:34 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just tape 'em over.

Found out today that the menus are available in several languages (that wasn't certain). Good news.

10-29-2009, 05:06 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Just tape 'em over.
No, that is unacceptable.

Chris
10-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
First review is up... looks surprisingly "decent" but with personality.

A first look at the Yashica EZ F521 | japan exposures

(or via my blog, storpotaten: First Yashica F521 review is up! )
03-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

haha, I am 3 years away! But if anyone has this and willing to sell it to me, please PM me, thanks!!
03-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Hmmm. my instructor in photography was always going on about the advantages of cheap plastic lenses. Molded not ground so, usually superior aspherical characteristics and aberation correction, with fewer elements to get a good lens than a glass camera. That camera for that price looks like it could be a lot of fun. And who knows, it could even have decent optics. 5Mp though? What were they thinking?
03-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tcbubbleleo Quote
haha, I am 3 years away! But if anyone has this and willing to sell it to me, please PM me, thanks!!
there are some clones on ebay from a guy on the flickr group

TAKASHI FX521 (Yashica EZF521 clone) Digital Holga INUK | eBay

and there is the even more pointless 12mp Joco VX5

Four Corner Store : Your store for all things Toy Camera — JOCO VX5 Digital Camera

these cameras would have been much more successful if hey could have got the lomography store to stock them
03-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #43
Veteran Member

One of my long-delayed projects is to adapt the New Optical Lens 50/5.6 that I scavenged from a US$1 Diana clone ('Akira'). Now that I have an M42 focusing helicoid, I can just mount the 'lens' on a thin macro tube for some hot plastic optical action, woo woo. Or I could just blow US$20 or whatever on a PK-mount Holga lens. But I'll try the Akira when I return to my home base in a month or three.
03-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
One of my long-delayed projects is to adapt the New Optical Lens 50/5.6 that I scavenged from a US$1 Diana clone ('Akira'). Now that I have an M42 focusing helicoid, I can just mount the 'lens' on a thin macro tube for some hot plastic optical action, woo woo. Or I could just blow US$20 or whatever on a PK-mount Holga lens. But I'll try the Akira when I return to my home base in a month or three.
i've been looking at those Holga lenses (we have a lomo store with a whole kit of them for $99) but when i do I just think to myself i could get so much better lenses for that $100 - heck $100 got me m28 3.5, 2x m50 1.7, m200 4.0, and change left over for a couple of coffee's - or anotehr lens
03-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
there are some clones on ebay from a guy on the flickr group

TAKASHI FX521 (Yashica EZF521 clone) Digital Holga INUK | eBay

and there is the even more pointless 12mp Joco VX5

Four Corner Store : Your store for all things Toy Camera — JOCO VX5 Digital Camera

these cameras would have been much more successful if hey could have got the lomography store to stock them
thanks for the head's up, actually Ebay's still selling them for 'bout $99. I just want to snatch one up maybe taking it aparts enstuff. Since it's been out for 3 years, looking to buy an inexpensive used one