Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2009, 02:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nikon D700

Hi

I hand a hands on with the D700 yesterday with the older 50mm lens on.

Quite simply I fell in love.

Even though heavier than some competitors it didn't feel like it and it fits like a glove to the hand.

Focusing with that old lens was incredible, shot after shot with AWB at any iso was spot on and way faster and precise than my cam.

Did some on-board flash work and exposure accuracy was uncanny.

Viewfinder = beautiful

This would seem to be the camera I could live with without bothering to upgrade for many years to come.

Any others here who have this beautiful camera - your feedback and in the field experiences (after moving from Pentax) will be much appreciated

Dylan

10-12-2009, 05:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm having a bit of a simmilar experience with my D300s... but after spending a week in Prague, shooting my classmate's wedding and a couple of hiking trips, I'm having some second thoughts... everything is great... in fact everything is awesome, never felt so connected with a piece of equipment... But there's one litle thing... Size and weight!!! Higher end Nikon bodies are just huge in comparaison to Pentax...
10-12-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am also weighing up those cons as I'm an avid mountaineer in SA.

Now evaluating for Landscape IQ & toughness as I would like to project large and also publish a book.

Also I shoot a lot of grungy rockclimbing comps where 1600 ISO is the base and the time spent in pp is now becoming a bit of a pest.

Dylan
10-12-2009, 06:51 AM   #4
VAV

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Hi

I hand a hands on with the D700 yesterday with the older 50mm lens on.

Quite simply I fell in love.

Even though heavier than some competitors it didn't feel like it and it fits like a glove to the hand.

Focusing with that old lens was incredible, shot after shot with AWB at any iso was spot on and way faster and precise than my cam.

Did some on-board flash work and exposure accuracy was uncanny.

Viewfinder = beautiful

This would seem to be the camera I could live with without bothering to upgrade for many years to come.

Any others here who have this beautiful camera - your feedback and in the field experiences (after moving from Pentax) will be much appreciated

Dylan
I have a D700 and my experience is similar to yours. I dont generally use the flash so I cannot comment on that part.

What I like in the D700 -

- The high ISO, focussing speed and general responsiveness are a big step up (compared to my K200 D). The downside is the lack of shake reduction (need to increase shutter speed by a stop or two) and expensive Nikon lenses ( although you can ofcourse get around the expensive Nikon lenses if you are willing to use third party lenses like Tamron and Sigma).

- Although heavier, i like the D700's grip and it fits well in my hand.

What keeps me using my Pentax K200D are the following -

- lenses - FA 35, Voigtlander 125, DA* 16-50, 50-135 and in-camera shake reduction

- simpler, lighter to use, weather resistent body

- the advantages of the D700 - (high ISO, responsiveness, focus speed etc) are generally not a big deal on a bright day outdoors for a hobbyist like me (not shooting sports/ action). I have noticed that I tend to use the D700 more during the winters when I find it difficult to take indoor shots in darker interiors. During the summers, the K200 sees more use.

- lthe K200 is a lower cost camera so less worry of losing/ damaging an expensive camera

- i am trying to learn and have some familiarity with the Pentax hot shoe flash system and dont have any Nikon flashes, although I am told the Nikon flash system is more sophisticated and easier to use. So where flash is required, I tend to pick up the K200D.

- built in remote trigger - the K200D has this built in and the wireless remote is cheap (about $25 i think). The D700 needs a more expensive add on that needs to be purchased and fitted into the hotshoe (I think). So where I want to use a wireless trigger ( I dont have cable release for either camera), I again tend to pick up the Pentax.

The above said, I find that picking up the Nikon D700, I am confident that no matter what the light is like, the camera's high iso and focussing ability can compensate for my lack of talent in the manual focussing area and I am finding that I am picking up the D700 a lot more. I also dont have to worry about excessive noise till an absurdly high ISO (up until ISO 2000 IMHO). I only wish it were not so expensive to maintain two systems!

10-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I went to a camera shop to buy a lens for my nikon D70. I didn't bring my camera so they handed me the D700 to test and I fell in love with it. The viewfinder was big and bright, the af was amazing and the lcd in the back was better as well.
10-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #6

Same here, I've been unhappy with the focusing on my K10D and have been thinking of the K7 if I stay at APS-C and a D700 if FF, went and checked one out it was quite a bit heavier thatn the K10d but the focus was wicked fast and silent. I dont think the VF was any brighter, didnt have them side-by-side to verify. Hand held the snapshots were in focus where for me on the k10d they would have most likely been oof.

The LCD was nice and exposure looked good. Tried it with the 85 1.8 they had.

Definitely some things to think about.

I haven't tried the Canon 5D2 yet, I like the look of the D700 better but the large dial on the back of the 5D2 looks worthwhile. Image quality is probably a wash between the two. If the Canon is lighter I'd proabably go that route so I can use my Pentax lenses.

Also I think the D700 may be a bit more intimidating if it was pointed at you.
10-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd have to respectfully disagree with not observing a difference in the viewfinder. I can understand not really perceiving a difference if you have nothing to compare it to, but I recall reading all sorts of posts where people were going on about viewfinder sizes where I just didn't get what all the fuss about.

It wasn't until one day when I was cleaning out some of my gear that I picked up my old film SLR to play with that I immediately noticed how much bigger and brighter it was. Looking through the D700 and A900 viewfinders inspires that same sense of 'vision' for me.

10-16-2009, 11:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Seriously, how can you compare the D700 to ANYTHING Pentax makes It cost twice as much. It's like saying that you drove the new E class Mercedes and you're having second thoughts about your Toyota Camry...what's the point?

If you had compared it to the D90 then maybe I could understand.
10-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

D700 is $2449

D700 is $2449 and K-7 is $1159 at same store I shop at. Double price is one way to look at it. Is $1300 more for full frame, biggie viewfinder, great high iso, nikon lens compatibility since 1977 not worth the upcharge?

I'd say $1300 more and you get the fancy wheels on your Camry. Unless you know of a dealer selling new 2010 Mercedes for just $1300 more than 2010 Camrys?
10-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #10
Igilligan

Just a thought

QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
Seriously, how can you compare the D700 to ANYTHING Pentax makes It cost twice as much. It's like saying that you drove the new E class Mercedes and you're having second thoughts about your Toyota Camry...what's the point?

If you had compared it to the D90 then maybe I could understand.

This sub-forum is supposed to be a place where folks can discuss other platforms, without the DPR 'Pentax Talk Forum' level of fanman comments.

Honestly if you dont like seeing the best pentax cameras being compared against unequal bodies, then it would be best to stay out of this sub-forum since that is what this place is for.

The D700 rocks... But so does the Pentax K7, they just rock differently
10-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
D700 is $2449 and K-7 is $1159 at same store I shop at. Double price is one way to look at it. Is $1300 more for full frame, biggie viewfinder, great high iso, nikon lens compatibility since 1977 not worth the upcharge?

I'd say $1300 more and you get the fancy wheels on your Camry. Unless you know of a dealer selling new 2010 Mercedes for just $1300 more than 2010 Camrys?
I am arguing that comparing the features of any item to one that is twice the cost is an unfair comparison. Was my analogy not clear, maybe I should have compared the Mercedes to a Kia...
10-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by c.r.brown Quote

Also I think the D700 may be a bit more intimidating if it was pointed at you.
Yep, the D700 is a beast. Heavy, clunky and super-fast!
The UI is just so different from all the Pentax cams it'd be one big shock to the system for a while using it.
But no doubt, it's an awesome and sophisticated lightproof box...
10-16-2009, 02:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

K20D at launch & K-7 at launch costs more than a D700 today

K20D at launch & K-7 at launch costs more than a D700 today. What do you think will hold more residual resale value in two years? For me D700 has gone up $130 since I added mine in January 2009.

So K-7 is a Kia now, whereas I actually consider it a Hyundai and D700 is Mercedes. Nice analogy.

For just $1300 more than K-7 costs today, why not pick a shinny new Mercedes over a Kia or Hyundai?

Full frame platform is not for everyone. If sensors were cheap from day one aps-c, aps-h crop formats would have never been offered. Luckily for pentaxians, Pentax chooses to ignore this full frame market since $1300 more dollars for a full frame K Mount would be a deal breaker.

I likely agree with you. Having grown tired of rumours and waiting I covered full frame with other brands. I'd now be quite hessitant to pay $2449 for full frame k mount dslr when I could buy another new lens or two elsewhere, in another mount.

QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
I am arguing that comparing the features of any item to one that is twice the cost is an unfair comparison. Was my analogy not clear, maybe I should have compared the Mercedes to a Kia...

Last edited by Samsungian; 10-16-2009 at 02:41 PM.
10-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
So K-7 is a Kia now, whereas I actually consider it a Hyundai and D700 is Mercedes. Nice analogy.
Careful. You never know when Hyundai fanboys maybe about...

btw speaking of Hyundai...the Genesis coupe is a pretty hot little car IMHO.
10-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote

btw speaking of Hyundai...the Genesis coupe is a pretty hot little car IMHO.
But it's no mercedes E class coupe...