Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #16
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
The only other advanced amateur DSLR that comes close to the D700 re:dynamic range,tonality and snr ratio is the D90.

Dylan
But all the people on Pentax Forums says that the k20d and K7 sensor had the best IQ of all cropped sensors. Rivaling the quality of the FF sensors. Are you trying to say that hundreds of members of this forum are wrong?

10-15-2009, 08:37 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
I think that by QC you are meaning the AF bugs from the Canon 1DIII, or the green band in some FF nikons.

Pentax glass is the best and the last releases of high end lenses are the best bangs for the buck.

It is unclear to me where it comes the advantage of FF if a cropped sensor of a Pentax camera is and always will be as good or better than FF sensors. And this argument is proven by the fact that Pentax will only consider to upgrade it by releasing a MF sensor.
I think we have the definition of a "fanboy" right here.
10-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #18
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Why fanboy? Deep inside of you there is a voice telling you that I am right. I will put you a real-life example that happened to me a week ago.

I was in a gig, more likely a wedding or something like that. One guy came to me with a Canon 1DsIII and another one with a Nikon D3x with the price tag hanging from the battery grip. They were mocking at my white K-M "white-thunder camera" and how lame Pentax was. They showed me their pictures and I was frankly unimpressed. Then I showed them mine... their pants fall off, their ties rolled back and the buttons of their shirts exploded. After that, they were coming to me all the time asking for advice. I told them that the 1 day workshop would be 20 USD for the first ride
10-15-2009, 10:04 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Why fanboy? Deep inside of you there is a voice telling you that I am right. I will put you a real-life example that happened to me a week ago.

I was in a gig, more likely a wedding or something like that. One guy came to me with a Canon 1DsIII and another one with a Nikon D3x with the price tag hanging from the battery grip. They were mocking at my white K-M "white-thunder camera" and how lame Pentax was. They showed me their pictures and I was frankly unimpressed. Then I showed them mine... their pants fall off, their ties rolled back and the buttons of their shirts exploded. After that, they were coming to me all the time asking for advice. I told them that the 1 day workshop would be 20 USD for the first ride
My pants did not fall off...they just slipped a little. The bride requested it.

10-15-2009, 10:24 AM   #20
Not Registered

Thanks guys for keeping the ball rolling and the thread in the right mood. I think that I am going to drop the ball by now before someone not familiar with me starts thinking that I am saying these things seriously and get pissed when they realize that I was mocking the typical unrealistical arguments from Fanboys. I kept some arguments for other occasions (please note that I havent resorted to ergonomics/size, weather sealing and backward compatibility yet... nor I have used the photoclub example where I am the only Pentax user and I end up giving them all a good run for the money )

BTW nostatic, the bride told me that she never spanked anything as firm as your....canon
10-15-2009, 10:27 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The force is strong in that one...
10-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Yeah, I'll drink to that. I guess.

10-15-2009, 10:00 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
canikon do not have to respond to anything pentax coughs up

they command a much greater market share, and they target a completly different audience with their top of the line gear.

take that coke can out of your mouth and go do something productive.
dito

dave
10-17-2009, 08:33 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
sadly, I'm not your father.
10-17-2009, 09:31 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
But I definitely agree with his statement that Pentax offers the most for their glass at the price. The DA* 16-50 can go as low as 611 right now at Ritz discount. But when I look at a similar Sony lens with a fixed aperture of 2.8 which is the 16-35 and 28-70, I see that they are at 1600+ which is more than twice the cost of Pentax and the build quality is not even close and it's not even weatherproof either. All of the Sony's zoom that are under 1,000 are nowhere close to the quality of the DA* 50-135 and DA* 16-50 either.
10-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
But I definitely agree with his statement that Pentax offers the most for their glass at the price. The DA* 16-50 can go as low as 611 right now at Ritz discount. But when I look at a similar Sony lens with a fixed aperture of 2.8 which is the 16-35 and 28-70, I see that they are at 1600+ which is more than twice the cost of Pentax and the build quality is not even close and it's not even weatherproof either. All of the Sony's zoom that are under 1,000 are nowhere close to the quality of the DA* 50-135 and DA* 16-50 either.
Comparing the DA* 16-50 w/Sony (Carl Zeiss) 16-35 is not an apples-apples comparison, though. Putting aside the focal length differences, the DA* is designed for crop sensors, whereas the Sony is a FF design. Also, in terms of presitge, the Zeiss lens is beyond the Pentax. I don't know what the performance discrepancy is between the 2 lenses, but at least in terms of reputation, you're comparing a Camry with a BMW 550i.

I'm not saying Pentax doesn't offer great value compared to other camera brands - in fact, I think Pentax offers the best value - but watch what you are comparing.
10-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Yeah, but to "equalize" things you'd need to shoot the FF lens at f/4 and then the price drops significantly.
10-23-2009, 03:51 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Too be quite honest I reckon Canon has the best range of glass non pro/pro at very competitive prices - hence one of the reasons 80% (thumbsuck) of dslr owners are Canon.

Dylan
10-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Not everyone is immune on the QC front, this news just in on the 7D.

Canon identifies problem with EOS 7D: Digital Photography Review

Not a biggy, but it's still a QC issue.
10-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #30
Veteran Member

At least Canon is publically persuing the problem

At least Canon is publically persuing the 7D after image left on sensor problem. very few have seen the phenomena, yet Canon is in public view & looking into it.

If it were Pentax having problems with Camera or lets say SDM lens failures, what public statements would be forthcoming from Hoya?

I'll guess:

Silence

"Canon has said it is investigating an issue with its recently released EOS 7D digital SLR. In a service notice it says there is an occasional issue where traces of a preceding frame may be visible in images captured in continuous shooting mode. The company says it will release a firmware update to resolve the problem."

QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
Not everyone is immune on the QC front, this news just in on the 7D.

Canon identifies problem with EOS 7D: Digital Photography Review

Not a biggy, but it's still a QC issue.