Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #31
Veteran Member

.. and that was the response I was expecting.

I agree that Pentax absolutely need to do more about their public relations, but it seems whenever there is a QC issue with Pentax, the brand is dragged through the gutter repeatedly (especially by Ricehigh), but even when their are issues with Canon and Nikon there is always a positive spin put on it. Their latest "nearly as expensive as a 5D Mk2" camera has focus issues and continuous shooting problems; yet somehow they get excused for it.

I've never understood that.

10-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You have selective reading. If you look you can find people hammering on Canon for everything including the situation in Tibet. You will also find Canon apologists. No different from the Pentax world.

People started complaining about the 7D AF even before the camera was out. Canon has also been lambasted for "ancient" AF on the 5D2, the 1D3 "abomination", etc. And whenever a new Nikon comes out, there are the obligatory, "Canon better get their act together or I'm leaving..." posts.

You are noticing human interwebs nature, not something brand-specific.
10-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I see

Maybe it's human nature to feel you're missing out.
10-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I never buy dslrs at launch now

I never buy dslrs at launch now.
People first in get to pay top dollar and then have to sort out the bugs.

Nikon and Canon have issued recalls this year.

Both my 5D are under recall for mirror replacement due to potential glue failure to be sent in at time of my choosing. Canon pays to ship my 5D Classics to them and back to me. All I have to do is schedule it and wait a week round trip to Canon's own California or NJ facilities. Neither brand has outsourced USA repairs like Pentax has.

Both my 5D work fine and mirror glue is tight so I wait... Both cameras are late production models so I assume its a not needed. When it is, I'll schedule it/them.

I haven't caught all the 5D Mark II problems. They fixed black dot early on and have issued 3 or 4 firmwares that include more HD functionality. Some people LOVE their 5DII. I can't get my head around 21mp files or it's two smaller raw formats so I'm passing for now. Well and I hate to pay full issue price for a dslr. In a couple more years when its ready to drop off the system and I've upgraded my computer I'll look into the problems they're having then with it and decide to add one or two or pass.

All my Canon lenses are well built as are my Nikons so I'm happy customer believing they'll last for a decade or longer. Nikon comes with 5 years warranty on glass so its good for half a decade new out of the box Once I had Canon and Nikon cameras inhand I can concentrate on just buying lenses. I'm saving up for another Canon specific optic for next spring, 17mm TiltShift and so far I've not read of one QC problem with it.

I don't get all giddy when Canon or Nikon add a new low end dslr model. They may have problems I am unaware of or with nikon incompatibility issues with lenses. My D700 is good to go with any 1977-2009 lens so thats cool. I've got 32 years of potential nikon glass to choose from. Fun fun fun.

QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
.. and that was the response I was expecting.

I agree that Pentax absolutely need to do more about their public relations, but it seems whenever there is a QC issue with Pentax, the brand is dragged through the gutter repeatedly (especially by Ricehigh), but even when their are issues with Canon and Nikon there is always a positive spin put on it. Their latest "nearly as expensive as a 5D Mk2" camera has focus issues and continuous shooting problems; yet somehow they get excused for it.

I've never understood that.

10-28-2009, 03:26 PM   #35
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
...Their latest "nearly as expensive as a 5D Mk2" camera has focus issues and continuous shooting problems; yet somehow they get excused for it.
You forgot to mention that at least it has actual AF-C...not like other brands whose name I wont mention.

You havent read many Canon Forums dont you?. Nikon people were raving about how good it looked the 1dIV while on Canon they were killing it before even seeing a single sample.
10-29-2009, 05:33 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
At least Canon is publically persuing the 7D after image left on sensor problem. very few have seen the phenomena, yet Canon is in public view & looking into it.

If it were Pentax having problems with Camera or lets say SDM lens failures, what public statements would be forthcoming from Hoya?

I'll guess:

Silence
Er what? How about the firmware updates to fix green lines, hot pixels and more recently a bug disabling the grip's rear dial that no-one noticed? All owned up to and fixes announced.

The other so called bugs do not affect every body. Noone (not even Saint Canon) announce issues which are related to QC issues that only appear in certain cameras.

Although of course after 6 months of complete silence they were forced to admit that the 1Dmk3 had a seriously flawed AF system and went through several hardware upgrades in a partially successful attempt to fix it.
10-29-2009, 05:40 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Yeah, but to "equalize" things you'd need to shoot the FF lens at f/4 and then the price drops significantly.
And then you have no advantage to your FF system despite spending twice the money.

Smart.

10-30-2009, 07:42 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Not all 1D Mark III had flawed autofocus system

Not all 1D Mark III had flawed autofocus system. Rob Gailbreath has shown an inability to read the manual on Canon 7D and has been critisized on canon forums for stupid operator errors he made. He's lost credibilty due to his Canon 7D hands on preview.

1D Mark III is a very complex camera with numerous custom fuctions and has its fans, some who boast of never sending their unit, units in for blue dot recall.

Canon can afford to do a full blown recall when necessary as can Nikon. Can Pentax?

As I said I wait for bug discoveries, fixes and most of all the price to drop on new cameras. This allows me to spend more time and money on building a lens system. I have total confidence in the Nikon and Canon lenses I've bought new. Dslrs are disposable, lenses are not supposed to be disposable too. Nice thing about both Canon and Nikon is their lens motor technology is more than two years old and over time has been improved upon, unlike Pentax 1st generation SDM.

No Biggie, Pentax Dslrs work great in driving old FA, F, and manual focus glass. Inbody Shake Reduction is handy feature. But, I have no faith in the SDM longevity so I'll pass. Not enough time has gone by for Pentax to get the bugs out of their SDM design. Until they say SDM is impoved upon and its logo'd with Verion II designation I won't consider any of the SDM glass for purchase, new or used.

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Er what? How about the firmware updates to fix green lines, hot pixels and more recently a bug disabling the grip's rear dial that no-one noticed? All owned up to and fixes announced.

The other so called bugs do not affect every body. Noone (not even Saint Canon) announce issues which are related to QC issues that only appear in certain cameras.

Although of course after 6 months of complete silence they were forced to admit that the 1Dmk3 had a seriously flawed AF system and went through several hardware upgrades in a partially successful attempt to fix it.
10-30-2009, 08:42 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Typical Canon fanboy response, sorry.

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Not all 1D Mark III had flawed autofocus system. Rob Gailbreath has shown an inability to read the manual on Canon 7D and has been critisized on canon forums for stupid operator errors he made. He's lost credibilty due to his Canon 7D hands on preview.

1D Mark III is a very complex camera with numerous custom fuctions and has its fans, some who boast of never sending their unit, units in for blue dot recall.

Canon can afford to do a full blown recall when necessary as can Nikon. Can Pentax?

As I said I wait for bug discoveries, fixes and most of all the price to drop on new cameras. This allows me to spend more time and money on building a lens system. I have total confidence in the Nikon and Canon lenses I've bought new. Dslrs are disposable, lenses are not supposed to be disposable too. Nice thing about both Canon and Nikon is their lens motor technology is more than two years old and over time has been improved upon, unlike Pentax 1st generation SDM.

No Biggie, Pentax Dslrs work great in driving old FA, F, and manual focus glass. Inbody Shake Reduction is handy feature. But, I have no faith in the SDM longevity so I'll pass. Not enough time has gone by for Pentax to get the bugs out of their SDM design. Until they say SDM is impoved upon and its logo'd with Verion II designation I won't consider any of the SDM glass for purchase, new or used.
10-30-2009, 08:45 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
And then you have no advantage to your FF system despite spending twice the money.

Smart.

Have you shot a K20d and 5D2 back to back and compared the results?
10-30-2009, 11:50 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I thought this subforum was supposed to have "no brand wars".
10-30-2009, 11:57 AM   #42
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
I thought this subforum was supposed to have "no brand wars".
Right. Take it easy, guys!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I would be interested to see some shots taken with both to compare; the 5D Mk2 is only £800 more than a K-7 where I am, it would be a potential full-frame upgrade path for me if I ever needed the resolution.
11-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #44
Veteran Member

It was only a matter of time until this happened.
11-04-2009, 11:58 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Yes, several times.