Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
Banned

Epson 1.44mp electronic VF for DSLRs

QuoteQuote:
Epson is set to exploit the booming digital 'SLR' camera market by announcing mass production of 'high-resolution' LCD electronic viewfinder panels for 'mid to high-end' DSLRs.

Borrowing technology from its projector line-up, the 1.44-million-pixel electronic viewfinder screen - the first in Epson's Ultimicron range - is designed to replace traditional optical viewfinders.

Epson predicts that its use by DSLR manufacturers will lead to 'smaller, thinner digital cameras'.

An Epson spokesman adds: 'Until now, no electronic viewfinder has been able to offer the resolution and fidelity needed to replace optical viewfinders and to focus the image. Epson's new panel, developed using HTPS technology, not only makes this possible but also uses an analog driver to recreate smooth gradations and a natural softness.'

The firm claims: 'This panel will allow camera manufacturers to eliminate the mirrors and pentaprisms needed for optical viewfinders, enabling much smaller and thinner camera bodies and letting users capture the image they see.

'In addition, the use of a colour filter prevents the colour break-up that tends to occur with other colour systems when shooting fast-moving subjects and while panning.'

However, Amateur Photographer is seeking clarification over Epson's definition of a DSLR because - strictly speaking - to be an SLR, a camera must have a mirror box.

Epson continues: Competition in the digital camera market has reached fever pitch. Companies are launching new products with higher resolutions and more features at even lower prices. In recent years, more and more consumers have been switching from compact cameras to SLR units in pursuit of better performance and image quality, driving the need for smaller and thinner DSLR cameras with video and other features. Epson's new panels meet these needs and open a whole world of possibilities for DSLR cameras.'
Epson set to exploit booming DSLR camera market news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums

Last edited by jogiba; 10-14-2009 at 10:55 AM. Reason: title change
10-15-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
Banned

Original Poster
Epson starts mass production of high-end EVF

QuoteQuote:
Epson is claiming its new Ultimicron series of compact, high-temperature polysilicon (HTPS) panels will allow electronic viewfinders to offer the 'resolution and fidelity' required to fully replace optical viewfinders on digital SLRs. The new panel, which has just gone into mass production, offers a similar 1.44MP resolution (800x600xRGB) to the class-leading viewfinders in Panasonic's DMC-G1/GH1, but uses a color filter to prevent color breakup when panning or shooting fast-moving objects. The poor performance of most existing EVF technology when compared to reflex viewfinders is a major barrier to the adoption of mirrorless interchangeable lens system cameras, and Epson obviously has high hopes for a market segment that's expected to grow significantly during 2010.
Epson starts mass production of high-end EVF panels: Digital Photography Review

10-17-2009, 12:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From that photo it looks like they're talking about something quite small, something that would fit inside a viewfinder. Is that the intention, or is it designed to be on the back of a camera?

Either way, I commend them on their thinking—making a high-quality part that currently doesn't exist on the market is an excellent first step. But if they've got all of their competitors coming to them for this vital technology: smart move.
10-17-2009, 06:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
From that photo it looks like they're talking about something quite small, something that would fit inside a viewfinder. Is that the intention, or is it designed to be on the back of a camera?

Either way, I commend them on their thinking—making a high-quality part that currently doesn't exist on the market is an excellent first step. But if they've got all of their competitors coming to them for this vital technology: smart move.
Well, from what he posted...
QuoteQuote:
Borrowing technology from its projector line-up, the 1.44-million-pixel electronic viewfinder screen - the first in Epson's Ultimicron range - is designed to replace traditional optical viewfinders
..I'd say yes.

10-17-2009, 08:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Well, from what he posted...

..I'd say yes.
And yet I wonder[ed] because it seems fashionable to use viewfinder for the display on the back of a camera.
10-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Eventually, the OVF will give way to the EVF. This will replace lots of mechanical things. Weight, size & vibration when shooting will come down, maybe shutter lag too. Probably end up being cheaper too. You'll also be able to have new features such as complex, configurable on-screen info overlays & magnification at the turn of a dial or the touch of a button i.e. for focus checking. No problem with viewfinder brightness. Image intensification or IR illumination for framing in LL or dark situations.

As the article mentions, 800x600 is just the start.

I wonder when they'll replace the mechanical shutter? Would probably need a technology breakthrough. Or maybe just as simple as a method of electronically desensitising the sensor.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 10-17-2009 at 02:25 PM.
10-17-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
And yet I wonder[ed] because it seems fashionable to use viewfinder for the display on the back of a camera.
Let me highlight the important part
QuoteQuote:
replace traditional optical viewfinders

10-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Eventually, the OVF will give way to the EVF. This will simplify lots of mechanical things. You'll also be able to have new features such as complex, configurable on-screen info overlays & magnification at the turn of a dial or the touch of a button i.e. for focus checking.

As the article mentions, 800x600 is just the start.

I wonder when they'll replace the mechanical shutter? Would probably need a technology breakthrough. Or maybe just as simple as a method of electronically desensitising the sensor.

Dan.
Cameras like the Nikon D40 already have what's effectively an electronic shutter; the mechanical one only opens up to a certain speed and then it's all electronic.

One really nice feature will be to have it boost the light levels so you can actually see what you're shooting in really dark situations. It can be a pain to manual focus in very low light.
10-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #9
Pentaxian

One really nice feature will be to have it boost the light levels so you can actually see what you're shooting in really dark situations. It can be a pain to manual focus in very low light.

Great minds think alike . I edited my email and added this in before I read yours.
10-17-2009, 03:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Let me highlight the important part
Yes, I caught that pingflood. My point was that as with the EP1 etc it's clear that the manufacturers are increasingly replacing the optical viewfinder with a display on the back of the camera. Also, it's entirely possible that this small sample was just that; a sample, or proof of concept and not the final product. There's no reason why such a high-performance display shouldn't find larger implementations.

I wonder at what sort of experimental camera shapes will now come about. Once you've divorced the actual light traveling through the lens from the viewfinder, just about anything is possible. I imagine that it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to add high-capacity fiber or even wireless capacity to detach the viewfinder from the camera altogether. With something like my Joby tripod you could set up a camera in all sorts of positions and adjust in real time (otaku pervert-cam's big leap forward?). Or heads-up display glasses with a shoulder-mounted lens. Or a lens on an RC helicopter? Or the photographer stands in spot viewing several displays while his helpers in the field set the cameras just so...
10-17-2009, 07:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

You're right, no reason they would not make a higher res version. Personally, I am mentally tied to some version of the classic optical viewfinder; putting your eye to it and isolating the world through its frame. But, I understand that my kind of thinking and approach is getting outdated. Sorry if I came across as insulting!

The future is interesting, and I hope that a lot of good shots come out of it.
10-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Personally, I am mentally tied to some version of the classic optical viewfinder.
I am less so than I thought I would be. The decent display on the GF1 and the excellent autofocus go a long way. But I'm also happy to use the 1954 Ricohflex (a mildewy rust-box) that belonged to my wife's grandfather.

Sorry if I came across as insulting!

The future is interesting, and I hope that a lot of good shots come out of it.
No worries; and yes, it's going to be something! To my mind me might just be inching away from a period where the camera designers and buyers couldn't get away from the old concepts. Hooray.
10-18-2009, 12:46 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Yes, I think the current concept of the SLR/DSLR will go the way of the dodo. Whether the traditionalists are prepared to come along for the ride is another matter. The example of people still searching for Polariod film cartridges comes to mind...

Unfortunately, with the the accelerating pace of technological change, we can't afford to hold too fast to concepts we felt confortable with in the past.

Dan

Last edited by dosdan; 10-18-2009 at 12:52 AM.
10-18-2009, 02:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Yes, I think the current concept of the SLR/DSLR will go the way of the dodo. Whether the traditionalists are prepared to come along for the ride is another matter. The example of people still searching for Polariod film cartridges comes to mind...

Unfortunately, with the the accelerating pace of technological change, we can't afford to hold too fast to concepts we felt confortable with in the past.

Dan
I've mostly gone back to film, I guess I'm one of those hanging on. There's certainly no reason that I can't afford to do so, this is just a hobby. 8^)