Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2009, 03:29 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Good remarks.

I also am a member on a SA site www.outdoorphoto.co.za where members shoot with Canon/Nikon exclusively and to be quite honest the main reasons they use those brands is due to the availability of lenses, ff bodies new and 2nd hand and rentals.

So for them it is way easier to trade older for newer which basically is impossible with Pentax,

Thus they really don't lose much on the investments as there are a multitude of willing buyers/sellers in the market place - something I hadn't really considered in the past.

Right now one can pick up a 50D for half the price of brand new as many are wanting to fund the new 7D.

If I wanted the K7 I would have to buy full retail as I would not be able to trade the K10D nor the 20D (if I owned one)

Dylan

10-27-2009, 07:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I bet the price of L glass had a little bit to do with that.
That's definitely possible. Other than possibly picking up the 17-40/4L to handle UWA once I go FF, my appetite for L glass has pretty much been satisified with the 2 Ls that I currently have. Even with that being said, I'm still open to 3rd party FF-compatible UWA lenses when that time comes.

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Heather, are there any Canon forums that you hang out in? If not, that may be part of the reason - if you aren't constantly reading about that next great lens, LBA dissipates.
I hang out at photography-on-the.net and FM mostly, but I don't spend half as much time oogling over the lenses there as I did here. Maybe it's because I know I can't afford any more L glass.

Heather
10-27-2009, 03:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Maybe it's because I know I can't afford any more L glass.

Heather
Indeed - it is easy to lust after an 85 F1.2 but much harder to fork out the $1800.
10-27-2009, 06:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Bingo! Screw mount lenses work really well on 5D2.
5D2 was lighter and smaller than D700.
70-200 2.8L is the best in it's class, according to reviews that I found.
That did it for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
If I were to take a first guess, those that like to shoot Taks can keep thier lens and migrate or shot dual systems.

10-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I've tinkered with models from both brands a lot. I chose Nikon because of how the camera felt in my hand.

The differences are so subtle with regards to sensor and lens quality it really should come down to what feels the best. Some people fall in love with a specific cannon or nikon lens and that hooks them, but I think most people just start with one brand and stick to it. I love the pictures I have taken with borrowed Cannons, but I hated holding those awkward bodies for large periods of time.

Pricing wise cannon seems like its a tiny bit more affordable.
11-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have bought a Canon mount Sigma 100-300mm f4 and Sigma 17-70mm.

I just cant bring myself to buy a body ....
11-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I have bought a Canon mount Sigma 100-300mm f4 and Sigma 17-70mm.

I just cant bring myself to buy a body ....

Hmmmmmmmm - a 7D might just tempt u

dyls