Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2009, 06:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Canon 7D video shoot

Hello all,

This is a video my group and I made for school, and for the band. It was shot on the Canon 7D using a variety of lenses.

It was uploaded in HD, and looks better in it, so I encourage you to push the "HD" button, or visit the video page for an even higher res. file.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zM3XG2Iryg[/yt]

*Sorry, let me emphasize that I'm not a part of this band. My group from school shot them doing this.

Last edited by mischivo; 10-27-2009 at 06:56 PM.
10-27-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool video, awesome quality with anything close up and solo shots. Listening to music is low on my list of interests but you guys have a similar sound as Dashboard Confessional; I'm sure there are other comparables out there I'm not aware of, sounds good! If the 7D wasn't so expensive I'd have one, although on sale with rebates earlier the month for $1700CDN. Video beats anything I've seen from Pentax... back to playing catchup.
10-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by F-Stop Quote
Video beats anything I've seen from Pentax... back to playing catchup.
I couldn't disagree more. I recently shot several days with the 7D and just like all Canon vDSLRs before, I just can't make friends with the video-image it produces.
I think the look and feel of K-7 video is so much smoother and organic.

It seems like Canon has a "video-mode" while Pentax and Nikon have a "movie-mode".
I wouldn't wanna trade that in just for 1080p...
10-27-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
Forum Member

Mmm, I love the K-7 but have to admit in that kind of light the 7D will probably outshoot it. The Pentax really does best with decent light. Its 1536 mode keeps up pretty close detailwise with the Canons, and it has a better 720 mode outdoors or in well-lit conditions indoors. And yes I think the K-7 does have a certain "look" to its images that I have yet to see in any other DSLR.

I've been playing with some shots the camera store let me take with the Casio EX-F1 today and was quite impressed, its video is every bit as detailed as the K-7 in 720 mode with less aliasing (even though it doesn't look as "filmlike"), but if you shoot the camera in fast burst stills mode and compile them as extremely short clips (as done with the k20d) you can get stunning detail on the level I assume will only be available on Red's Scarlet. The chip on the F1 is amazing, 60 fps at full 6mp sampling!!! If only the buffer went beyond 60 frames

10-28-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
Banned

Canon 1D MKIV low light short movie

QuoteQuote:
In 2008 we witnessed the birth of HD-DSLR Cameras.

In 2009 you will be introduced to cameras that can see in the dark better than the naked eye.

Just a little over a year ago my jaw dropped when I stumbled upon the 5D MKII and saw 1080p video coming off of a full frame chip for the first time.

Just a little over two weeks ago my jaw dropped even harder when I took a prototype of the Canon 1D MKIV outdoors to test it at night. I was on the road, it was late and I had just rushed back to my hotel to get to the unit. I was expecting a 1D body, with 24p, a 1.3 crop factor sensor, 10 fps for stills, a new AF system - 60 fps at 720p - and of course 1080p video.

Nothing prepared me for what happened next.

I set the ASA to high - and I pointed it towards an area lit by a single flood light. The image was overexposed by 4-5 stops. I then started to play with the settings, pointing my light into an area in complete shadow (my eye saw nothing but black) but on the rear of the LCD I saw sharp, green leaves as crystal clear as if it were shot in daylight.

I think it’s safe to say that every single filmmaker and photographer has always dreamed of cameras that can see what our naked eyes can see. This time these cameras can actually see more. Sure - they may not have the dynamic ranges of our eyes just yet - but they see more than my naked eyes can see in low light.
Lights Out, Camera, Action Vincent Laforet’s Blog

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Ig59zgQkM[/yt]

BTW Canon took the video down from most websites because of the color aliasing problem about 2:36 into the video.
11-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
that was awesome.
11-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
edl
Veteran Member

I don't do much video so I can't comment on technical quality, but that was really great to watch. I particularly like the upward shots of each member from 3:25 on. Sound is really good too.

Well done!

11-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Pentax video forum?